I just about hit a bicyclist today.

Sure. I'll also get a mirror that looks up in the sky, just in case a helicopter is landing in the spot I am moving into as well.

Maybe I should get a mirror that shows what's happening underneath my car as well, just in case a tunnel boring maching is coming up from the ground.

Simply put, if I'm not at fault than I don't have to care if I had killed the bicyclist or not.

And I wouldn't have been at fault.

Actually, you just nullified your point by using larger, more dangerous, and more cumbersome methods of transportation which, under law, would be at fault in those circumstances.

Did you just skip over CB's post?

Actually, you just nullified your point by using larger, more dangerous, and more cumbersome methods of transportation which, under law, would be at fault in those circumstances.

Did you just skip over CB's post?

I recognized what CB was saying, and I agree. But what I'm saying is that there wasn't time to react. The guy came out of absolutely nowhere.

I recognized what CB was saying, and I agree. But what I'm saying is that there wasn't time to react. The guy came out of absolutely nowhere.
Well if you looked before turning you would of seen that he in fact did not magically appear out of the realm of nowhere :dry:

Clearly this was a freak accident, then.

...so, why are we still discussing this?

Sure. I'll also get a mirror that looks up in the sky, just in case a helicopter is landing in the spot I am moving into as well.

Maybe I should get a mirror that shows what's happening underneath my car as well, just in case a tunnel boring maching is coming up from the ground.

Simply put, if I'm not at fault than I don't have to care if I had killed the bicyclist or not.

And I wouldn't have been at fault.

Well, you would be at fault had you not looked in your mirrors when the bicyclist was changing lanes... moreover, you would not be at fault had a helicopter landed on your car, considering that is against aviation protocol and only a tragic accident would most likely be responsible for that occurrence...

as for the rest of your hyperbole... very rarely do people want to take responsibility for their actions... you sort of proved that point with your exaggerated ranting...

Not if the person happens to come through a blind spot.

The mirrors aren't perfect.

Hopefully this lesson will teach you to actually pay attention to the road, instead of humming along, thinking everything will work out splendidly...

But if you shouted !SHAMWOW! before killing the bicyclist, you most likely wouldn't be at fault.

This thread was a hilarious read and i must say that I can't stand byciclists, they just look weird and are far too skinny and wear weird clothes.

Maybe he was upset, because you almost caused him to lose a week's worth of groceries.

It worked out ok. He owns a barbecue restaurant in Atlanta and I went in to make peace with him and he gave me free ribs. He's a really nice guy when he's not stabbing opponents in the head with a fork.

Depending on the stories...you very well could have been at fault had you hit him, as he was, by your admission, almost past you when you would have turned into him. Sounds to me like both of you would have been in the wrong a fair portion had an accident occurred. I'm glad no one was injured.

But one assumes you would have your turn signal on at least a hundred yards out if you're making a right handed turn. That allows bicyclists who may be passing to see if you are going to change lanes or direction.

That said, there's a reason it's called "defensive driving". You need to check where you're turning and what's around you constantly.

Last edited:
You probably only looked left to make sure no one was coming from that side, didn't look right to see if there were pedestrians or bicyclists crossing the street. That's what happened to me a few years ago, was at a stop light on my bike waiting to cross the street, light turned green I started to cross the street and a driver that didn't look right to see if anyone was crossing the street just started to turn and ran me over. I was fine, but my bike was destroyed, I was nice enought to not file a police report just got his name and number so I could tell him how much it would be to repair the bike. Got the estimate and called a couple times, never getting an answer, the third time I tried calling the phone was disconnected.

Of course I mean it.

I tend to not feel sorry for people who do stupid things and hurt themselves, when they should have known better.

But I would't have bragged about having seriously hurt somebody or killed somebody.

I even wrote a letter to my local newspaper, though they haven't printed it yet, if they will.

Ohhhhh, you're one of THOSE guys....

jag

damn, i was sooo sooo close to ignoring this thread, I ignored it all day but i gave it the benefit of the doubt.

i'm an idiot

I honestly think if you hit him and threw him in the trunk and buried him somewhere, it would've turn out great for both parties.

You probably only looked left to make sure no one was coming from that side, didn't look right to see if there were pedestrians or bicyclists crossing the street. That's what happened to me a few years ago, was at a stop light on my bike waiting to cross the street, light turned green I started to cross the street and a driver that didn't look right to see if anyone was crossing the street just started to turn and ran me over. I was fine, but my bike was destroyed, I was nice enought to not file a police report just got his name and number so I could tell him how much it would be to repair the bike. Got the estimate and called a couple times, never getting an answer, the third time I tried calling the phone was disconnected.

Call your state's Department of Insurance.

You would have been at fault, UA. I know you think a driver "shouldn't have to" check over their shoulder, but according to law they do. That bicyclist, from the sound of things, had the right of way.

You should be more careful.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/au0Zjn3eB9k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/au0Zjn3eB9k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Well, you would be at fault had you not looked in your mirrors when the bicyclist was changing lanes... moreover, you would not be at fault had a helicopter landed on your car, considering that is against aviation protocol and only a tragic accident would most likely be responsible for that occurrence...

as for the rest of your hyperbole... very rarely do people want to take responsibility for their actions... you sort of proved that point with your exaggerated ranting...

Actually I wouldn't have been at fault.

I talked to a traffic cop and his position that if I was turning right and the bicyclist had come from behind me and passed me on my right and that caused him to eat pavement, he would have been considered responsible.

It's only if he was travelling beside me and I turned right would I have been considered at fault.

You have to keep in mind that many bicyclists travel at a fair clip. The average one can travel a sustained pace of upwards of 30 feet a second, with the Lance Armstrongs capable of going a good 50 ft/second.

You would have been at fault, UA. I know you think a driver "shouldn't have to" check over their shoulder, but according to law they do. That bicyclist, from the sound of things, had the right of way.

You should be more careful.

I was in a right-hand turning lane. This means, I'm right next to the sidewalk. If a car cannot pass me on my left in that situation, neither can the bicyclist.

Since a bicycle is considered a vehicle. The bicyclist, like any other vehicle should be passing one the left hand side, because that is the proper way to pass another vehicle.

That, my friends is the law in most provinces and states.

The bicyclist was in the wrong and it was fortunate for him that I didn't hit him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"