The Amazing Spider-Man "I Want To Evolve Peter Parker"

For what it was, Spider-Man 3 was a decent movie. With the creation of 3.1, in my opinion, it will be my favorite and the best of the trilogy (yeahh). All the cut footage will even all the cheesy stuff out, It'll just come together to make a good movie.

I wish we could tell Raimi our opinion, but after Avi Arad forced Venom onto him because of "us", I don't know if thats such a good idea.

@Nathan: There were some wisecracks in the movie, like.. when they were in the armored car! And Spidey punches through Marko and says, "Oh oh!"

I thought that was really funny of him.

As for Tobey's remarks, It's time for some evolution. I'm tired of this whole coming to Aunt May for advice stuff, either kill her or get her to move away. It's getting annoying. And grow up for christ's sake! Do something with Mary Jane for once.

all you hear is 'peter'
how are we going to move peter forwards?', 'how are we going to evolve peter?', what challenges can we give peter?'

'peter, peter, peter'

they should seriously ditch the title 'spider-man'
when they finally make the trailer it will be 20% peter parker and 80% spider-man, when they finish the movie it will be 80% peter parker and 20% spider-man (if we're lucky). false advertising, just like SM3 where the trailer suggested it would be a dark movie.

the movie 'we' demanded? LOADS of people said BEFORE the moivie that venom is a terrible characer and LOADS of people said three villians is too many to have in one movie (scarecrow is one screen for like 5 minutes in TDK).

Hey, *I* was one of these "loads" of people. I remember being drowned out by a bigger load of people clamoring for Venom to inserted into the series with no build up.

DACMAN said:
Aw snap.

And I don't get how us wanting to see Venom means he was allowed to make him suck.

That's the thing though. Venom fans didn't know what they were asking for. If you thought Venom was a good idea for the Spider-Man movie series, then you don't understand how easily other people predicted Spider-Man 3. Fans act so shocked that the movie turned out the way it did. I wasn't surprised at all.

Venom is a character with a complex backstory in the comics, and a role that demands that the attention be focused on him. He also had absolutely no foreshadowing in the movie series (except for that line in SM1 about "Eddie's" pictures, which seems to have been ignored). No matter how they did it, Venom was going to be rushed and Harry was going to get the shaft.

You know, I don't even CARE about things like Peter's dancing scene that other fans like to complain about so much. That's because the movie had problems that were much worse than that. Big, structural problems that made one-scene stupidities look insignificant in comparison. Like Peter cheating on MJ, which showed how much he really cared about her after pining after her for two movies. Or Harry teaming up with Peter to take down Venom, because VENOM was now the big bad all of a sudden.

As I said in 2006 and 2007, if the movies HAD to have Venom, then they should have waited to wrap up Harry's story before giving Venom a movie all to himself.

Sure. I can agree with that. But my point still stands. If Raimi didn't think he could do what was being asked of him well (directing AND writing) then he should of stepped aside. Just because he was asked, or pushed, into adding something doesn't give him a blank check to make it suck. As director and writer it was his job to make it all work.

I don't agree with the claim that Venom destroyed Spider-Man 3, but that Raimi's interpretation of Venom did, and there is a difference. Venom is definitely not a bad villain. Every villain has a potential; you have to just work with it, and Raimi distanced from him even from the start.
With the set-up and the story Harry and Venom would perfectly fit for a great film. The whole revenge theme prevailing in Harry and Eddie in the end, and the symbiote's drive to anger, if explored right would have made a serious and a very strong film. It appears Sandman was out of place in SM3, and we all know that Raimi personally insisted in putting him there.. yes, his first draft was with Sandman and Vulture, but things change with projects such as these. There is a lot that is at stake, not just one guy. Sandman should have been kept for part 4 with Electro or Vultre, and then Raimi could have finish his idea, but this way all of them got ruined, not to mention the crisis in which is Peter and MJ and Gwen, if we ever see her at all.
Even Black Cat would have fitted well in SM3 if there was just Harry and Venom by the second act of the film. For god's sake, they portrayed Venom intentionally as Spider-Man's evil doppelganger and we never got that final confrontation feeling for the finale between them on top of a cathedral during a rain, or some epic battle, instead we got ridiculous combo of villains that don't fit well with one another.

Last edited:
Sure. I can agree with that. But my point still stands. If Raimi didn't think he could do what was being asked of him well (directing AND writing) then he should of stepped aside. Just because he was asked, or pushed, into adding something doesn't give him a blank check to make it suck. As director and writer it was his job to make it all work.

:up: Couldn't agree more.

A good mainstream director should know how to deal with all the obstacles that come his way. And we all know how vast the history of these characters is, there are a lot of stories to draw from to make a decent film.

And people need to stop saying "NO MORE DANCING" because that was the Symbiote costume doing that not him. Don't worry about it. Jesus. :facepalm:

I think that by putting on an evil alien symbiote costume and making Peter dance as a result of it is :facepalm:

Gotta love all the fanboys here talking trash about Raimi and Maguire. The fandom was worshipping the ground they walked on after Spider-Man 2. The movies weren't perfect but most people agreed that they were a good adaptation of Spider-Man. Raimi had shown that he knew the character. But after one lame movie (Spider-Man 3) the fandom starts treating him like a hack.

SM3 may not have been the movie that you ended up liking, but it WAS the movie that you demanded. And by "you" I am talking about fanboys in general. Without seeing any spoilers, I was able to say way back in 2006 that cramming Venom into the movie would turn everything into a mess. The story arc that had been set up for two films was for Harry to be come the big bad, not some alien symbiote who hadn't even shown up yet. I called it, because it was an easy call to make.

The character was evolving, and there was a story going on. But then the fans forced Raimi to change up his story and cram in a character that he didn't care for. And when the movie turned out badly (as many reasonable people expected), the fans refused to accept responsibility for it. Raimi gave you what YOU said you wanted.

The fans ruined the Spider-Man movie franchise.

Tell us something we don't know. But the fans didn't hapass Venom and certainly didn't ask for Sandman to be the actual killer of Ben. Both parties are to blame. My only fear is that Sam mails it in and turns his attention to WoW, but I think it is a case of him leveling off and already reaching his maximum potential with the franchise. That's why people are fearful of another so-so attempt.

I don't think there is any one reason that the movie failed.

I believe that Venom did, in part, contribute to their failure. This does not mean Venom is a bad villain - in fact, he's one of my favorites - but he was certainly rushed, and the symbiote even moreso. I actually did like Venom in the movie, and thought Eddie Brock was truly sinister and an appealing villain. I don't even mind that much that he was put off 'til the end - considering that Venom needs such a big build-up, there's no other way to do it.
Except, of course, spanning the idea over multiple films.
The symbiote got an even bigger shaft than Venom. Rather than taking the time to develop, it just flew down on a meteor and coincidentally landed right next to Peter Parker, and when he put on the symbiote, he turned into a punk '50s motorcycle gang member minus the motorcycle, also known as emo Peter. Yeah, the symbiote definitely needed more time to develop and show how it really twists Peter into an aggressive, vengeance-seeking, darker version of himself. Only the part where he "killed" Sandman gave off that impression at all. (And yet, it was when he "hurt MJ" that he realized he had changed - okay, that's a fault with writing.)
So whose to blame for this? The fans? Avi Arad?

But that wasn't the only problem. I think that the next problem with the movie was the inclusion of Sandman. Even worse, the idea of Sandman killing Uncle Ben. The retconning of Spider-Man's origin was not something I enjoyed - in fact, it takes a large dimension out of the character, and really creates a mess. And what's worse, by doing this, we lost even more time! Sandman didn't even have anything to do with Venom or Harry, so it became impossible to link the stories together.
So whose to blame here? Sam Raimi?

Now, one could say that this one movie should've been several. I'd agree with this, for the most part, though I certainly do not believe that the Sandman plot should have ever been. Yet MadGoblin (spideykicksbutt.com) claims that the movie's biggest problem was not in the planning, but the editing. And he does have a point - it would've been much more powerful to see Venom threaten Venom's daughter (I believe this was in the original), or to see the scene where Sandman's family returns to the final battle, explaining why he disappeared for the latter end of his fight and giving a resolution to his storyline. But of course, the editors did have to cut something.
So what do we blame? The editing? Or the planning?

And those weren't the only problems either. One could certainly argue that Aunt May's haggish hairdo detracted from the power of her speeches and cost her ethos. We could point to Tobey Maguire's crying, which wasn't quite above par. Many have complained that Kirsten Dunst has lost her touch.
Where lies the blame? The costumers? Tobey Maguire? Kirsten Dunst?

There is no single problem with the movie, but many problems on many levels, and fixing just one of them or replacing just one person would not have turned into an Academy Award winner. However, it is now time to move on. Those involved should learn from the mistakes they made, and be careful not to repeat them. Replacing the whole cast and crew won't make for a better Spidey movie - rather, learning from the past as a whole, and moving on to evolve as a franchise will.

Now, one could say that this one movie should've been several. I'd agree with this, for the most part, though I certainly do not believe that the Sandman plot should have ever been. Yet MadGoblin (spideykicksbutt.com) claims that the movie's biggest problem was not in the planning, but the editing. And he does have a point - it would've been much more powerful to see Venom threaten Venom's daughter (I believe this was in the original), or to see the scene where Sandman's family returns to the final battle, explaining why he disappeared for the latter end of his fight and giving a resolution to his storyline. But of course, the editors did have to cut something.
So what do we blame? The editing? Or the planning?

Big typo?

raimi and toby talk about moving the character of peter forwards, how exactly did they move the character forwards in SM3?
in the first two he clearly learns about responsibility, what did he learn in the third one? forgiveness? give me break. if you ask me tagging the sandman onto the origin of spider-man was frigging UNFORGIVABLE.
spidey puts on the costume, why? because he feels the last time he did nothing a good man (uncle ben) died. SM3 makes that null and void. I know toby could care less about the character of spidey but raimi is supposed to be a fan, well you could have fooled me.

both of them should **** about moving the character forwards and actually concentrate at where the character is NOW in the comics because what we are seeing on screen is most assuredly not it.

Well more character development is a good thing imo.It's just depends on where they choose to shift the focus to show that growth.

Personally i'd like to see a little more confident Parker in SM4 and if he's still with MJ it would nice if they were living together.

after 3 movies of the same ahh wow is me mood, it's about time

you mean woe is me?
peter is anything BUT wow is me, peter has no confidence in himself at all. well, apart from when he is wearing the ooze and is pointing at all the women when he is walking down the street.

Cool news, if you ask me! Looking foward to seeing where peter GOes in this one. :up:

In what way is this cool news? "I want Peter to evolve blablabla" is the same stuff we always get, it's just mindless talk.

Cool news is when we get some sort of confirmation on main actors and/or villains or something about the story.

you mean woe is me?
peter is anything BUT wow is me, peter has no confidence in himself at all. well, apart from when he is wearing the ooze and is pointing at all the women when he is walking down the street.

yeah sorry typo, honestly he has not moved on from the guy who couldn't talk to mj in the first arc of number 1, every film has been ohh i've got to do this, what about mj, what about my life, the one man who i find inspirational from is now trying to kill me etc.

yes that is an important part of peters character but it's not the entire character, look at the comics, yes he still has worries and such but the character has matured become more of an adult.

the peter in the films is still the shy guy who is constantly second guessing himself, every step forward in character is followed by 3 steps back

Peter to evolve? Maguire to face a new challenge as an actor? A ginger kid who will see some serious screen time in at least one scene?

Do you see where I'm going with this? I wonder why a son, and not a daughter?

I hope this movie turns out to be good, not because I want it to be, but I just want to see all these fickle, short-minded fans start sucking at the tete of aguire and Raimi again and claim they never doubted them and they love their work. Just like they did after the first two movies.

Seriously.

I hope this movie turns out to be good, not because I want it to be, but I just want to see all these fickle, short-minded fans start sucking at the tete of aguire and Raimi again and claim they never doubted them and they love their work. Just like they did after the first two movies.

Seriously.

birds sing
bees bee
fans are fickle

and you're only as good as your last movie

3 movies in, and Peter hasn't changed at all. Lord willing, he finally will have in 4.

"I Want To Evolve Peter Parker"

translation: 'I want peter to have MORE screen time and spidey to have LESS screen time (I mean less than he ALREADY has). I also want my face shown the enitire time even when I'm in the spidey costume, let's bin the mask altogether.'

Yup.

:facepalm:

People are being jerks because Tobey Maguire loves spending time with his small children and doesn't want to be away from them. Oh man, what a primadonna.

Yes, movie stars get paid millions and have comfortable lifestyle, but look how the press treats them and the paparazzi invades their lives and people rifle through their trash and everything. Maguire didn't marry a movie star either.

they should just rename the movie 'peter parker 4' and have done with it

I'm waiting for marvel's answer to 'lois and clark' on tv, 'the mj and peter show' with guest appearances from spidey (usually 2 minutes before the end credits).

all you hear is 'peter'
how are we going to move peter forwards?', 'how are we going to evolve peter?', what challenges can we give peter?'

'peter, peter, peter'

they should seriously ditch the title 'spider-man'
when they finally make the trailer it will be 20% peter parker and 80% spider-man, when they finish the movie it will be 80% peter parker and 20% spider-man (if we're lucky). false advertising, just like SM3 where the trailer suggested it would be a dark movie.

Dude, quit reading my thoughts! lol :hehe:

I feel sorry for Tobey as well. Remember that footage wheres hes casually walking across the street and the person filming it shouts

"Hey,Tobey. You suck man!"

And he stops and looks and is nearly hit by a car. That was shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"