The Amazing Spider-Man "I Want To Evolve Peter Parker"

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
Source:Boston Globe
November 29, 2009

Speaking to The Boston Globe, Spider-Man 4 star Tobey Maguire addressed the rumors he was reluctant to return to the role.

"It's not that I was reluctant," he said. "For me, it's a big process to decide whether or not to do a role.... I have to want to wake up in the morning and feel like I can't wait to get to work. I've got to feel OK about leaving my kids for 12 or 13 hours a day for five months. It's a big commitment."

Maguire added that he needed to feel there was a fresh story about Spider-Man worth telling.

"Hopefully I'll be able to evolve the character in a new direction. He'll still be Peter Parker, but I hope I can move him forward a bit and take him to a place where there will be new challenges for me as an actor."

Spider-Man 4 is scheduled for a May 5, 2011 release in conventional and IMAX theaters.

cool i cant wait

You know, it's weird how Raimi and McGuire are vocal about growing the Peter Parker character in the movies... When Marvel is exactly the oposite when portraying him in the comics.

my dad works in a warehouse for 12 to 13 hours a day busting his back to put food on the table and he is complaining, people just don't know what they got.

Too little, too late.

Parker should've evolved after the first Spider-man movie.

and Tobey sounds like an ingrate. Give the role to someone else. Someone who gets the character and doesn't portray him as a lethargic dope.

So does that mean in the 4th movie he'll actually sound confidant and do wisecracks? Also ones that don't suck?

Could it be that Spidey would be in his late 20s..? Early 30s..?

With Raimi as the captain of this ship,we are just doomed to repeat crashing into the rocks again...

You can't evolve the character by skipping steps. They can't accurately portray Peter Parker in his 30's if they never portrayed him right in his 20's.

good news.

hopefully tobey is around after spider-man 4.

"I Want To Evolve Peter Parker"

translation: 'I want peter to have MORE screen time and spidey to have LESS screen time (I mean less than he ALREADY has). I also want my face shown the enitire time even when I'm in the spidey costume, let's bin the mask altogether.'

I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this movie, but who cares if it sucks I still have THOR to look forward to.

I think it's good news. I hope this means that they will improve on the character of Peter Parker. But you know, I wish that they will realise that they are making a Spider-Man movie, people want to see more of Spidey! We know Peter loves MJ, we know that he wont survive through life without Aunt May giving him life lessons, that's all done. Give it a rest. Have Peter all grown up, have Peter spending more time as Spider-Man and fighting crime.

Oh Tobey, we all want Peter Parker to evolve.

You can start by having him dump MJ.

Cool news, if you ask me! Looking foward to seeing where peter GOes in this one. :up:

WOW, I wonder, is this the (big) 'NEWS' we were waiting for the weeks before from that guy from the 'industry'? haha

Sam & his writers, made the character Peter Parker(and MJ) the way they wanted him... nothing at this point in the game, will change that. Not even an interview with Tobey saying he want the character to evolve. Tobey, I'm sure loves playing the character, and probably do want to see some evolvement in the role; but, he wants the perks more... the paycheck. The largest in his career; so stop fronting Tobey, you are not going anywhere.

Prker?

That guy SpIdEr-mAn or whatever ripped us off. What boring news.

Gotta love all the fanboys here talking trash about Raimi and Maguire. The fandom was worshipping the ground they walked on after Spider-Man 2. The movies weren't perfect but most people agreed that they were a good adaptation of Spider-Man. Raimi had shown that he knew the character. But after one lame movie (Spider-Man 3) the fandom starts treating him like a hack.

SM3 may not have been the movie that you ended up liking, but it WAS the movie that you demanded. And by "you" I am talking about fanboys in general. Without seeing any spoilers, I was able to say way back in 2006 that cramming Venom into the movie would turn everything into a mess. The story arc that had been set up for two films was for Harry to be come the big bad, not some alien symbiote who hadn't even shown up yet. I called it, because it was an easy call to make.

The character was evolving, and there was a story going on. But then the fans forced Raimi to change up his story and cram in a character that he didn't care for. And when the movie turned out badly (as many reasonable people expected), the fans refused to accept responsibility for it. Raimi gave you what YOU said you wanted.

The fans ruined the Spider-Man movie franchise.

Gotta love all the fanboys here talking trash about Raimi and Maguire. The fandom was worshipping the ground they walked on after Spider-Man 2. The movies weren't perfect but most people agreed that they were a good adaptation of Spider-Man. Raimi had shown that he knew the character. But after one lame movie (Spider-Man 3) the fandom starts treating him like a hack.

SM3 may not have been the movie that you ended up liking, but it WAS the movie that you demanded. And by "you" I am talking about fanboys in general. Without seeing any spoilers, I was able to say way back in 2006 that cramming Venom into the movie would turn everything into a mess. The story arc that had been set up for two films was for Harry to be come the big bad, not some alien symbiote who hadn't even shown up yet. I called it, because it was an easy call to make.

The character was evolving, and there was a story going on. But then the fans forced Raimi to change up his story and cram in a character that he didn't care for. And when the movie turned out badly (as many reasonable people expected), the fans refused to accept responsibility for it. Raimi gave you what YOU said you wanted.

the movie 'we' demanded? LOADS of people said BEFORE the moivie that venom is a terrible characer and LOADS of people said three villians is too many to have in one movie (scarecrow is one screen for like 5 minutes in TDK).

I always liked the villains and the action in the movies. The portayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man and MJ I loath.

they should just rename the movie 'peter parker 4' and have done with it

I'm waiting for marvel's answer to 'lois and clark' on tv, 'the mj and peter show' with guest appearances from spidey (usually 2 minutes before the end credits).

my dad works in a warehouse for 12 to 13 hours a day busting his back to put food on the table and he is complaining, people just don't know what they got.

I work 13 hours a day in a factory too. I have an infant son and a wife I leave to do that. Actors are such spoiled self centered cry babies.

Yeah fans begged Raimi to have Dunst sing, Tobey dance, and everyone cry over and over.

They forced him to give green goblin a snowboarder costume. They forced him to make Sandman Uncle Ben's killer. The fans forced Raimi to make all the problems associated with SM3. Raimi had nothing to do with it.

Aw snap.

And I don't get how us wanting to see Venom means he was allowed to make him suck. We also want to see the Lizard now, does that mean if we get it he is allowed to make the Lizard suck? I know a lot of us would like to see Vulture, Carnage, and others, does that mean that he can make those guys suck too?

Saying fans wanting to see a character in a film is a defense to make it suck is a terrible defense.

Last edited:
Tobey. :up:
Make my favorite trilogy into my favorite quadrilogy! :D

As for the complaining, the third movie is pushing three years old. Let's stop crying about it okay? You're not going to change anything. I'm sure when 3.1 rolls around people will start to see the whole film rather than a cut down version.
And people need to stop saying "NO MORE DANCING" because that was the Symbiote costume doing that not him. Don't worry about it. Jesus. :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"