IESB Interview Gavin Hood!

Electrix

Avenger
Reaction score
Director Gavin Hood gives the IESB a bunch of updates on the 4th X-Men film Wolverine!

Gavin Hood is headed to Australia in just under a month to start production on the fourth X-Men film that 20th Century Fox is planning to release next summer, you heard right, Wolverine is hitting theaters summer 2008.
The IESB has been able to talk to Gavin twice in the last couple of days, the first interview that we conducted was a short video interview in where we mainly talked about his political thriller Rendition but at the tail end I asked him if he could tell us if we could expect to see any other mutants such as Gambit in the stand alone X-Men film to which he answered “yes.”
He jokingly refused to answer anything else from Wolverine so we couldn’t get him to talk about it anymore so we made sure to attend the press conference that was taking place the following day.
The following is part of the press conference where IESB’s Rachel Howard followed up with another question on Wolverine.

Q: Blame Jake for bringing it up, but can you give us an update on Wolverine?

GAVIN: Okay, I'll give you two answers really quickly. One's called a college fund for my twins, and the other... [laughs] No. Because that's what you're going to say, so why don't we say it? But you know, it's not often that a script like Rendition comes across your desk, you know? We think that scripts are just out there, and they're not. I read 70
scripts...

JAKE: She just wants to know about Wolverine

GAVIN: She just wants to know about Wolverine? I don't want to tell her about Wolverine. And if you want to know about Wolverine, I'll tell you why I love Wolverine. I love Wolverine partly because it will pay my college fund. But partly because, I'm doing it because, that's the cynical answer, but the truth is, I didn't. At first, when Wolverine was offered to me, I went, "Well, I'm the wrong guy for this." And then I spoke with Hugh Jackman and the truth is that what's great about the Wolverine character, he's really a character who suffers from a great deal of existential angst. So you want to know why Gavin Hood is interested as somebody who loves actors and emotions, is because looking at it more closely, and I was raised on Greek mythology not comics...

JAKE: [whispers something else to Gavin]

GAVIN: Get away, give me a chance! Let me finish this answer. [laughter] I don't know anything about the details about the movie. But what I do love about the Wolverine character is that there is, within that character, a great deal of disconnection from who he really is and what it means to be human. And so what we're really getting a chance to do is do opera. We're taking human emotion, and in the way that you would have Zeus throwing thunderbolts, it's writ larger. I happen to be a big fan of the X-Men movies...especially what Bryan Singer did. Those are movies about prejudice, they're a movie about absence of prejudice. And they happen to be done in a very accessible and commercial way. And so I think there's a great deal of themes and ideas to explore in Wolverine beyond just three claws. And I'm not going to say anything more about the movie because we're hear to talk about Rendition.

Q: Are you daunted about doing the big special effects? You talked about going from independent films to a studio film like Rendition. What about going from Rendition to a bigger studio film like Wolverine?

GAVIN: Well, it's another reason to do it, because to work in a visual way...My first film world was still photography, and I love visuals, and yes, to work in the level of heightened visual effects is going to be an amazing experience, yeah.

After the press conference Rachel along with Frosty over at Collider hounded Gavin for a couple more tidbits.

Q: You're doing Wolverine, and can we talk about that for a second?

GAVIN: For split second, but I don't want to overdo it, 'cause it's just not fair on the process that I'm involved in right now.

Q: When do you think we will find about casting or other superheroes that might be in it?

GAVIN: Honestly, we are involved in the casting process, we will not know for a good couple of months. So we start shooting the film in December, we start shooting the film in December, possibly January, we are very involved in the process and now and we’ll be casting over the next couple of months. Not this week! Right now I am still doing Rendition. That’s what I’m focusing on.

Q: I’m assuming this is going to be a PG-13 movie?

GAVIN: Yeah.

Q: And how long do you think the shoot’s going to last?

GAVIN: Probably 3 to 4, 4 months. About 4 months of shooting.

Q: Do you foresee location shooting, is it all going to be in the US?

GAVIN: No. It’s going to be in Australia and New Zealand, and a lot of it in Fox Studios Sydney. And that’s as much as I can give you.

Q: I appreciate that. Thank you

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3371&Itemid=99

This marks my third post this week involving new Wolverine info. Yay for RSS feeds :D

(I accept PayPal)

:D

So it starts in December or January, not November and can go up to four months... plus it will be PG-13 (I'm guessing a "hard" PG-13).

I don't know how Fox plans to release this film in July (that's the month they want). We'll see if they stay on track, or push it back. :up:

But partly because, I'm doing it because, that's the cynical answer, but the truth is, I didn't.

Wtf kind of sentence is that? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"