Justice League If Snyder is completely gone, who carries the torch going forward?

egg

Civilian
Reaction score
do they consider their one critically accepted DC film director Jenkins? was whedon brought in to be put in control moving forward? at this point do we need a shakeup that excites fans like a jj abrams overseeing announcement? questions... many questions on the future of justice league and even dc superhero flicks as a whole

J.J. is always brought up haha. I'm not sure you plan the next large DC film based on who is connecting the universe. I think we start with a Superman sequel directed by Vaughan, and then go from there. As usual, I think a lot rests on Superman's shoulders. If they can get Superman right and back on track, the rest can fall into place!

I don't envy anyone who has to deal with WB's studio meddling next.

No director should be overseeing an expansive shared universe project. Directors will not fire themselves. Kathleen Kennedy at Lucasfilm and Kevin Fiege at Marvel show it needs to be led by a producer.

So no to Patty Jenkins. I feel like she can be utilised to direct non-Wonder Woman projects as well, particularly those with female protagonists.

No to Joss Whedon. The guy is toxic right now. His "feminist pass" has been revoked since people saw the draft of his Wonder Woman script and his ex-wife exposed him recently as a hypocrite when it came to women. Nobody wants to see him direct a Batgirl film (if the must make that, give it to Jenkins).

Geoff Johns is an overrated "yes man". He likes everything, till it gets pointed out it's not good, then he turns on it. He was pimping Martin Campbell's Green Lantern film (he was a story consultant and co-producer) till everyone pointed out it was crap. He does not know how to lead a film universe as a producer. He lacks the right instincts.

I don't want "film people" whose knowledge of the DC Universe characters is limited to having seen some WB movies, to run the show. That's how they got into this mess in the first place.

It's tough to say. You need someone who knows and understands the DC characters intimately, but also knows the film producing business well, and how to handle budgets.

I think getting the original animated universe team of Paul Dini and Bruce Timm (and getting Alan Burnett out of retirement) could potentially excite fans as the overseers. Animation and live film is different, but there's enough crossover skills needed on the production side of things for these guys to have to competence to overseer a live action division.

Last edited:
The management just needs to stop taking whatever drugs they are on and everything is gonna be fine :o

I think getting the original animated universe team of Paul Dini and Bruce Timm (and getting Alan Burnett out of retirement) could potentially excite fans as the overseers. Animation and live film is different, but there's enough crossover skills needed on the production side of things for these guys to have to competence to overseer a live action division.

Been hoping for this to happen going back many years.

Here's a crazy idea. How about we simply just DONT do a cinematic universe? We dont we just do individual films that do its own thing? Everyone needs to stop being like Marvel. Marvel had the vision and planning for sure but you know what else Marvel had? Luck. In order for a cinematic universe to work you need loads and loads of luck and all the right pieces to fall into place. Its a crazy juggling at that requires a perfect storm of planning, patience, vision and luck. And that is simply not easy to do by any stetch.

DC just needs to make good films. Get directors with unique takes on the material, make sure the movies are GOOD and just run with them. Nolan wasnt concerned with cinematic universes, he did his own thing and it was for the best. Just imagine if they tried to shoehorn his Batman into a Green Lantern movie or something.

Let Marvel do what they do best: construct 6 issue arcs that leads into a big finale. DC needs to do what IT does best: original graphic novels. One and done epic stories.

Interesting picks, but the question is would they want to, and would WB even ask? More than that, given recent outings like The Killing Joke, could they recapture what made the DCAU work?

You can't tell me there isn't a talented director with producing chops that loves DC. There has to be SOMEONE for Pete's sake.

Interesting picks, but the question is would they want to, and would WB even ask? More than that, given recent outings like The Killing Joke, could they recapture what made the DCAU work?

I don't know if WB would ask them, but they really should. The fiim execs at WB from what I gather kind of look down on animation and comics guys. But it's the type of grand move that will garner WB/DC the best press they've probably ever had. There's a huge amount of respect for what those guys achieved with their animated DC universe, and announcing them as the new bosses would generate the sort of goodwill needed to keep the DCEU project alive.

The Killing Joke adaptation was an unfortunate dud, but their hit to failure ratio us so good, that they can be forgiven for one screw-up, even if it's a recent one. Plus, they heard the negative feedback and criticisms (like the Batman/Batirl relationship which most people hated) and I think they would listen and know not to make those mistakes for live action. Plus, Paul Dini wasn't involved in Kiling Joke, so maybe with him in the team to balance it out, those decisions might not have been made.

Geoff Johns will take the 'Feige' role, he's positioned himself to do that.

No director should be overseeing an expansive shared universe project. Directors will not fire themselves. Kathleen Kennedy at Lucasfilm and Kevin Fiege at Marvel show it needs to be led by a producer.

That's the long and short of it. A big problem with WB has been that it prides itself as being an auteur-friendly studio where creators have more control than they would elsewhere. That is great in some respects, but it's also inherently at odds with the concept of creating a shared universe. By its very nature, a shared universe is going to require some sort of oversight and compromise.

Marvel is famous for exerting a lot of executive control over directors, and as a result, a lot of big filmmakers don't want to work with them. We saw the train wreck situation that ensued behind the scenes with Ant-Man, which ultimately led to Edgar Wright flipping them the bird and quitting, and later Joss Whedon with Avengers: Age of Ultron. Other directors like Jon Favreau and Alan Taylor also opened up about all the problems they had with Marvel's meddling.

The thing is, if we're talking purely from a franchise perspective? It's worked. Even the forgettable or bad films don't bomb and the franchise is the strongest and healthiest in all of Hollywood.

WB opted to go in a different direction and give Snyder a ton of freedom for his first two movies, and it came right around and bit them in the butt because it turned out Snyder's ideas weren't very good for trying to build a universe around, and now the Justice League, the movie that was supposed to be the crown jewel of the DCEU, is on life support.

Carrying the torch? Is there going to be a torch to carry anymore?

Geoff Johns will take the 'Feige' role, he's positioned himself to do that.

Except he's no good at it. He's got producing credits on Green Lantern and Justice League, two massive bombs.

He was regularly on the set of Justice Leage as well, so his presence cannot be minimised.

matt reeves ? He is already on board for batman. And his POTA movies are huge critical favourites.

I'm hoping for a Japanese film director to come to Hollywood to hold the torch.

If Batman is a critical and commercial success then I think he will get the job.

Again, I can't understand why people want a director to Godfather a shared DC universe, full of varying and distinct tones for dozens of characters.

Let a director direct. In his own style, and for the characters suited for his style. Zack Snyder imposed his own directorial vision on the entire DCEU, even though it was wrong for many characters. Reeves might be great for Batman, but he could easily start imposing his tone for the rest of the universe. That's what directors do.

A Fiege like producer thinks beyond that.It' s obvious that the DCEU needs to be shepareded by producers who can fire and replace directors at will. If Reeves is running the show, and one of the movies he directs fails, he will not fire himself.

Last edited:
time for McG to do some work...

-I wouldnt entrust the Dini/Timm team with the films.. In a way they almost feel like an exhausted resource... unless batman hooking up with Batgirl is something we need to see on film...at least it guarantees zatanna will be in a film.

If Batman is a critical and commercial success then I think he will get the job.

Geoff Johns needs to be over seeing the whole universe. They need to sit down and make a devices story of this universe.

Highlight who the main heroes are (whatever level they are) and say right - let's have a superman movie and this is his story - but please note, in this movie, batman is a thing and you may use this information (specific information that sets up someone but not back them into a corner) and you may also acknowledge the flash. So then we have a director come in and do their story with all these ingredients and sure, they may leave out flash - that's fine. But to add a character to set up something else, unless it's seamless, then no point.

So no to Patty Jenkins. I feel like she can be utilised to direct non-Wonder Woman projects as well, particularly those with female protagonists.

No to Joss Whedon. The guy is toxic right now. His "feminist pass" has been revoked since people saw the draft of his Wonder Woman script and his ex-wife exposed him recently as a hypocrite when it came to women. Nobody wants to see him direct a Batgirl film (if the must make that, give it to Jenkins).

Geoff Johns is an overrated "yes man". He likes everything, till it gets pointed out it's not good, then he turns on it. He was pimping Martin Campbell's Green Lantern film (he was a story consultant and co-producer) till everyone pointed out it was crap. He does not know how to lead a film universe as a producer. He lacks the right instincts.

I don't want "film people" whose knowledge of the DC Universe characters is limited to having seen some WB movies, to run the show. That's how they got into this mess in the first place.

It's tough to say. You need someone who knows and understands the DC characters intimately, but also knows the film producing business well, and how to handle budgets.

C79BZm2.gif

matt reeves ? He is already on board for batman. And his POTA movies are huge critical favourites.

Yes, his films have been very good and complex at the same time. I don't know if he can lead a full vision for a studio but I think he will make a great film. I have mentioned not making a batman film but do believe that he will make a great one if it is done.

I think WB and Fanboys are gonna have to get past this idea of a Kevin Feige /Marvel type micro-manged, interconnected, single visioned , film universe. They did it . Its time to move on imo.

Let the directors make their own films without being inhibited by each other or an overlord making sure they don't contradict each other. In the end, like it or not, the GA doesn't care about as much about these films being accountable to each other and having some shared vision the way fanboys do.

Let Jenkins guide her characters, Reeve's guide his, Wan guide his. Stop worrying about setting stuff up and trying to make sure everyone is one the same page. Just make good films.

The GA now knows they all exist in the same world. They get it. Now just make strong solo films with each directors own vision and strong scripts.

Geoff Johns, the brilliant writer that gave us that amazing Green Lanter (2011) movie script. In all seriousness WB as always, the next directors will all be coming and going through the ever rotating door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"