Justice League If Snyder is completely gone, who carries the torch going forward?

No one. Focus on solo efforts. Let the directors do their thing. No more inter-connectedness. Everyone act like the Snyder Trilogy never happened. Move on.

No one. Focus on solo efforts. Let the directors do their thing. No more inter-connectedness. Everyone act like the Snyder Trilogy never happened. Move on.

The problem with "let the directors do their thing" is that there's no accountability if the movies don't do well. WB let directors do "their thing" with Catwoman, Green Lantern, Superman Returns, BvS, etc. Without a studio head like Feige, you won't know how to make sure the quality is consistent and just go with the flow and hope for the best.

The problem with "let the directors do their thing" is that there's no accountability if the movies don't do well. WB let directors do "their thing" with Catwoman, Green Lantern, Superman Returns, BvS, etc. Without a studio head like Feige, you won't know how to make sure the quality is consistent and just go with the flow and hope for the best.

Exactly....letting random directors "do their thing" has led to 20 years of mostly terribly recieved DC property movies (exceptions being Nolan's Bat trilogy and Wonder Woman).

That doesn't work. The reason Fiege's "showrunner" approach is so admired is because it creates consistency. You know a solid product will be delivered every time out.

Crossing your fingers and hoping you get a Wonder Woman hit every time by letting any director "do their thing" will lead to more Catwomans and Green Lanterns. You want that consistency that a Feige like figurehead can provide.

There is not really a torch bearer, as much as there is a person frantically running and screaming because his clothes and hair are on fire.

Let the directors ****ing direct. If you're a director, why would you want the task of overseeing an entire universe.

"Wow, I have this great idea of a crime drama involving ______ but I can't do it because i'm now overseeing an entire universe even though i am a director."

Geoff Johns, the brilliant writer that gave us that amazing Green Lanter (2011) movie script. In all seriousness WB as always, the next directors will all be coming and going through the ever rotating door.

He didn't write the movie though and they threw away his and Berlanti's script

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when Nolan did TDKT.

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when Sam Raimi did Spider-Man 2

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when James Mangold did Logan

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when Richard Donner did Superman.

You don’t need a figure-head to tell a good story, just find a director with talent and a genuine care for the characters.

Last edited:
Thats what Im saying, people. Let the directors do their thing, stop worrying about a cinematic universe. Just make awesome movies. I think part of the reason people got so upset at Snyder's films is because they were seeing those films as the launching point to a whole cinematic universe. If Snyder's trilogy was just its own alternate universe/elseworlds/ unique take kind of thing on DC heroes, I think people would have been more accepting of it. And for the record i think thats what Snyder was aiming for all along anyway. He was in this from the beginning to tell a story about Superman using a different take/perspective. He didnt want to make this the MCU 2.0. Jon Favreau knew what he was getting into with Iron Man but not Zack.

Let the damn directors tell their unique stories and if it doesnt work then no harm no fowl. Do something different next time. But DC needs to DROP this cinematic universe idea.

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when Nolan did TDKT.

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when Sam Raimi did Spider-Man 2

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when James Mangold did Logan

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when Richard Donner did Superman.

Yo don’t need a figure-head to tell a good story, just find a director with talent and a genuine care for the characters.

It's definitely a good foundation to start on, but there is no winnable formula. Even in those ideal conditions, a franchise-ending disappointment/failure could still come out. See Superman Returns.

I think trying to get a competent director to oversee an entire universe is asking too much. Most directors of the caliber are not generally open to taking a huge chunk of their career to oversee a cinematic universe. I think Geoff Johns will be the overseer but to a significantly less extent than KF over at Marvel, and I'm fine with that. I have a feeling that's how they sold Joss on coming over to direct a film

There was no Kevin Feige figure-head when James Mangold did Logan.

Well, technically, the closest that the X-Men franchise has as of recent to an overseer or figurehead would be Simon Kinberg. Him or Hutch Parker and Lauren Shuler Donner. They do often do speak about all of the various projects- Parker himself was even on set a lot of the time that Mangold was shooting Logan, which I don't believe happens a lot with producers.

Doubtful they were giving Mangold mandates, but in this regard, the X-Men films don't really have just one figurehead. Generally, speaking, though, yes, no Feige-like figure here deciding that Logan needed to tie into anything next.

Geoff Johns, the brilliant writer that gave us that amazing Green Lanter (2011) movie script. In all seriousness WB as always, the next directors will all be coming and going through the ever rotating door.
They did not listen to Johns on Green latern

Exactly....letting random directors "do their thing" has led to 20 years of mostly terribly recieved DC property movies (exceptions being Nolan's Bat trilogy and Wonder Woman).

That doesn't work. The reason Fiege's "showrunner" approach is so admired is because it creates consistency. You know a solid product will be delivered every time out.

Crossing your fingers and hoping you get a Wonder Woman hit every time by letting any director "do their thing" will lead to more Catwomans and Green Lanterns. You want that consistency that a Feige like figurehead can provide.

Ofcourse Johns have to oversee certain things like Kevin, but the directors make the movie. Also, Kevin just says the type of movie they are looking for. The directors are the one to being into fruitation.

This is why Captain America movies feels different from Thor.

Except he's no good at it. He's got producing credits on Green Lantern and Justice League, two massive bombs.

He was regularly on the set of Justice Leage as well, so his presence cannot be minimised.

NO was already going into production when he got the job. He had no say from the start like how he did with WW. The script was already written, director choose and sets made etc....

NO was already going into production when he got the job. He had no say from the start like how he did with WW. The script was already written, director choose and sets made etc....

That's not really true. It was reported in Sept of last year and just before Justice League, in a WSJ article, that Johns met with zack and terrio to rework the script.

Last edited:

But I'd argue the "no accountibility" is a good thing. If a director does a one off thing, like Catwoman, and it doesnt work then no harm no fowl. You scrap it and do something else. Theres too many risks with the cinematic universe approach. If one thing doesnt work it taints the broth.

Feige seems to have a good hold on things but...what IF something goes wrong and Captain Marvel fails for example? Now your stuck with this element that didnt work. Not saying its going to happen but Im just making a point that cinematic universes are tricky balancing acts that not everyone can do.

Put it to you this way: we'd never have a Tim Burton Batman movie if the studio is only concerned with cinematic universes with all the movies sharing the same tone. It can stunt creativity. How cool would it be if one day we got a Batman movie in the style of Siny City? A hardboiled, black and white film noir Batman movie. You cant do that if you have to follow all these rules to abide by so that the movie has the exact same aesthetic as the other films.

Last edited:
Let the directors ****ing direct. If you're a director, why would you want the task of overseeing an entire universe.

"Wow, I have this great idea of a crime drama involving ______ but I can't do it because i'm now overseeing an entire universe even though i am a director."

He didn't write the movie though and they threw away his and Berlanti's script

They did not listen to Johns on Green latern

Interesting. For some reason i had remembered him being the screenwriter. Wasn't aware he didn't get the final script duties. Any idea on what his script was like?

Thats what Im saying, people. Let the directors do their thing, stop worrying about a cinematic universe. Just make awesome movies. I think part of the reason people got so upset at Snyder's films is because they were seeing those films as the launching point to a whole cinematic universe. If Snyder's trilogy was just its own alternate universe/elseworlds/ unique take kind of thing on DC heroes, I think people would have been more accepting of it. And for the record i think thats what Snyder was aiming for all along anyway. He was in this from the beginning to tell a story about Superman using a different take/perspective. He didnt want to make this the MCU 2.0. Jon Favreau knew what he was getting into with Iron Man but not Zack.

Let the damn directors tell their unique stories and if it doesnt work then no harm no fowl. Do something different next time. But DC needs to DROP this cinematic universe idea.

The only thing Snyder was aiming for was to give life to his sinking career after Watchmen, Legend of Guardians and Sucker Punch flopped one after the other. After MOS, he signed up to direct BVS, JL1 and JL2. He was going to milk this franchise as long as he could and now he has burned it to the ground. I don't buy this argument for a second that he had some grand vision.

The most annoying thing is that he now claims that he loves Superman when his past statements clearly indicate otherwise.

But I'd argue the "no accountibility" is a good thing. If a director does a one off thing, like Catwoman, and it doesnt work then no harm no fowl. You scrap it and do something else. Theres too many risks with the cinematic universe approach. If one thing doesnt work it taints the broth.

Feige seems to have a good hold on things but...what IF something goes wrong and Captain Marvel fails for example? Now your stuck with this element that didnt work. Not saying its going to happen but Im just making a point that cinematic universes are tricky balancing acts that not everyone can do.

Put it to you this way: we'd never have a Tim Burton Batman movie if the studio is only concerned with cinematic universes with all the movies sharing the same tone. It can stunt creativity. How cool would it be if one day we got a Batman movie in the style of Siny City? A hardboiled, black and white film noir Batman movie. You cant do that if you have to follow all these rules to abide by so that the movie has the exact same aesthetic as the other films.

There were a few missteps in MCU, such as IM2 and TDW. In both cases, Feige corrected course by changing the director and the follow up were much better received as a result. On the other hand, DCEU kept giving Snyder one opportunity after another, and this is why JL happened and put the cinematic universe in jeopardy.

Interesting. For some reason i had remembered him being the screenwriter. Wasn't aware he didn't get the final script duties. Any idea on what his script was like?

I'm not sure, but he shouldn't take the blame. You have to realize JL was already about to start production when they promoted him. It's so much he can do especially with Snyder leaving in the middle of it. Johns and Patty worked on the story for WE and that's the Tone he wanted. Basically next year with Aquaman,Shazam etc... is when you can start judging him. Unless WBs goes crazy again and orders James Wan to reshoots his movie and let a trailer company edit it. Lmao

The only thing Snyder was aiming for was to give life to his sinking career after Watchmen, Legend of Guardians and Sucker Punch flopped one after the other. After MOS, he signed up to direct BVS, JL1 and JL2. He was going to milk this franchise as long as he could and now he has burned it to the ground. I don't buy this argument for a second that he had some grand vision.

The most annoying thing is that he now claims that he loves Superman when his past statements clearly indicate otherwise.

Yeah because WB messing about with his movies had nothing to do with it. He did basically 1 untouched movie out of his 3 pictures. Maybe MOS was messed with as well, we don't know as it wasn't getting the attention from media that the series got from BvS fiasco on.

I'm not sure, but he shouldn't take the blame. You have to realize JL was already about to start production when they promoted him. It's so much he can do especially with Snyder leaving in the middle of it. Johns and Patty worked on the story for WE and that's the Tone he wanted. Basically next year with Aquaman,Shazam etc... is when you can start judging him. Unless WBs goes crazy again and orders James Wan to reshoots his movie and let a trailer company edit it. Lmao

I wouldn't put it past them. They've only managed to keep their hands off from two movies (that we know about).

There were a few missteps in MCU, such as IM2 and TDW. In both cases, Feige corrected course by changing the director and the follow up were much better received as a result. On the other hand, DCEU kept giving Snyder one opportunity after another, and this is why JL happened and put the cinematic universe in jeopardy.

The core problem with DCEU wouldn't be solved unless they can determine what prompted management to keep hiring Snyder even when his movies repeatedly under performed. What was the reason for this suicidal decision? They need to find the person or persons responsible for this catastrophic decision and either fire them or take away all their decision making powers. Then bring new management on board who has enough sense to not even hire Snyder for MOS after Sucker Punch let alone allow him to continue after making MOS and BVS. Unbelievable. Some of us fans have been screaming at Warner Bros for four years to fire Snyder.

Oh and fire Kevin Tsujihara.

The core problem with DCEU wouldn't be solved unless they can determine what prompted management to keep hiring Snyder even when his movies repeatedly under performed. What was the reason for this suicidal decision? They need to find the person or persons responsible for this catastrophic decision and either fire them or take away all their decision making powers. Then bring new management on board who has enough sense to not even hire Snyder for MOS after Sucker Punch let alone allow him to continue after making MOS and BVS. Unbelievable. Some of us fans have been screaming at Warner Bros for four years to fire Snyder.

Oh and fire Kevin Tsujihara.

Eh poor choice of words. I agree with firing Kevin part.

MCU has established steady stream of movies so people will forget 1 bad movie quickly because the next one is already around the corner. it's much like one bad episode doesn't ruin the entire season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"