The Dark Knight If the first movie hadn't been so kickarse, people would be freaking out now

Qwerty©;11967644 said:
SpandexFan has a point, the things we have seen are controversial, and the only reason they are tolerated is because of our trust in Nolan based on Batman Begins.

Face it, if this was the first Batman movie, and we saw SWAT member Batman, disfigured Joker and the casting of Heath Ledger everyone would be up in arms.

You know, I think people will be up in arms no matter what. People were up in arms over Begins. Even if the batsuit had looked completley comic accurate and we had a non scarred joker, we'd have the rubber suit and cut smile fans PO'ed. People were going to be pissed no matter what Nolan came out with.

i like the joker. i like the pod. i like the suit.

usb_thumb_drive.JPG

Qwerty©;11967579 said:
Yes you did. Look at your post again.

Uh, no I didn't. He can make sweet man-love to Hulk and Superman Returns for all eternity and I won't care. There are more than enough people on the Hype who do.

And how does that make him wrong, exactly?

Jesus Christ you're dumb. My point was that he makes senseless arguments and has questionable taste in comic book films.

:dry: Is that supposed to sound clever?

Figured you wouldn't understand that. May I should try being simpler next time...

It's called an opinion.

Yeah, so is mine. And my opinion is that his opinion about BB is ******ed.

Qwerty©;11967590 said:
Are you saying characters like Fantastic Four and Spider-Man should be compared to Batman?

On the basis of the quality of filmmaking, why not? I mean, they are films in the same ****ing genre for crying out loud. It only makes sense for them to be compared. :dry:

Uh, no I didn't. He can make sweet man-love to Hulk and Superman Returns for all eternity and I won't care. There are more than enough people on the Hype who do.
Yet you use his taste in films against him. That's called discrediting.

Jesus Christ you're dumb. My point was that he makes senseless arguments and has questionable taste in comic book films.
Yes, and it is his taste in those films that you are using AGAINST HIM.
Figured you wouldn't understand that. May I should try being simpler next time...
I understood it fine. Understanding something doesn't put you on it's level of intelligence, otherwise that would make me as dumb as your posts.
Yeah, so is mine. And my opinion is that his opinion about BB is ******ed.
You have to treat opinions with respect. Carry on like you are doing, and soon the mods will have something to say.

But conversely, I think is the reasoning why Begins (I think) unfairly gets a lot of the criticism it gets, while other movies get a pass for far worse atrocities. Same with Spider-Man 3 and Superman Returns.

I see people giving higher ratings to movies like FF2 and Ghost Rider over these films because they enjoyed them "for what they are" - dumb fun, where the movies I listed above tried for something greater and may have stumbled or failed in certain areas.

It just aggravates me when people prefer movies that aim lower and succeed than movies that aim high and don't quite reach it.

Thank you! Jesus, this is the perfect explaination! I don't judge Ghost Rider compared to other comic book movies, but to movies in general, the same way i do every other comic book movie. I liked Begins, not because i thought it was better than Burton's vision or because i didn't like Schumacher's movies, but because i thought it was a good movie. Just like i didn't cave to that piece of sh** Resident Evil 2 movie just because it was better than House of the Dead. Uwe Boll makes crap. Period. Schumacher has made great movies, but the batman movies were just crap. Ghost rider was crap. It is what it is, crap. I don't eat a bad apple just because it is the only one in a basket that isn't rotten. I just don't like sh**.

On the basis of the quality of filmmaking, why not? I mean, they are films in the same ****ing genre for crying out loud. It only makes sense for them to be compared. :dry:
Even though the characters have different levels of believability and tone?

So are you saying I can criticize Batman Begins because it isn't as comedic as Fantastic Four?

But both Superman Returns and Hulk were well edited, great films that successfully brought depth to what are otherwise seen as fairly 2d characters .

I agree that the characterization of the leads in SR and Hulk was indeed good, both films are way too self-indulgent and unnecessarily long. And the pacing of both films was just horrible.

I agree that the characterization of the leads in SR and Hulk was indeed good, both films are way too self-indulgent and unnecessarily long. And the pacing of both films was just horrible.

I dont disagree with you in regards to Hulk. However I had no problems with either in regards to Superman Returns.

I totally agree with what has been said. I do not need them to follow the comic book exactly or add no new stories. I just want to be able to go to the theater and see a great movie. Some story that adds more to the character something that gives them depth. I like seeing the choices that these people have to make that shapes them into who they are.

The thing i hated about Hulk, which i liked otherwise, was the editing. That whole "look, we made the scenes look like comic panels" crap annoyed the hell out of me and took me out of the film every time it happened. Superman returns had a few annoyances too, (*cough*stupid little kid*cough*), and a lack of action, but otherwise i liked it too, but then again, Singer actually knows how to make decent movies.

Qwerty©;11967750 said:

So are you saying I can criticize Batman Begins because it isn't as comedic as Fantastic Four?

What part of 'quality of filmmaking' didn't you understand (things like action, direction, music, cinematography, script etc)? Are you deliberately acting like a fool, because I can't believe anyone would ask such a ******ed question.

One can easily compare two films in the same genre even if they don't share the same levels of tone and believability. For example, I can easily compare Spiderman 2 with FF and say Spiderman 2 is the better, higher quality film. Similarly, I can compare The Incredibles with Blade 2 and say The Incredibles is the better, higher quality film. Superman The Movie against Ghost Rider? Of course, Ghost Rider is crap in comparison.

See?

Well, to be fair, Ghost Rider is crap compared to any decent movie.

Qwerty©;11967750 said:

You criticize them on their merits as a film. Regardless of genre.

There are such things as good films and bad films.

Young Frankenstein is a classic comedy and a great film.

The Godfather is a classic drama and a great film.

Epic Movie is a comedy, but it's awful.

Pearl Harbor is a drama, but it's awful.

Dammit, i had almost forgotten Pearl Harbor, thanks.

Qwerty©;11967740 said:
Yet you use his taste in films against him. That's called discrediting.

Yeah. So? Since when are people aren't allowed to do that anymore? :confused:

Yes, and it is his taste in those films that you are using AGAINST HIM.

Or more appropriately, his rationale for attacking BB against him. Like I said, read the posts properly bucko.

I understood it fine. Understanding something doesn't put you on it's level of intelligence, otherwise that would make me as dumb as your posts.

Yet three posts now and you couldn't even grasp the simple fact that I was using Wesyeed's senseless arguments against him and

You have to treat opinions with respect. Carry on like you are doing, and soon the mods will have something to say.

Uh, no. You have to treat posters with respect but you don't need to respect their opinions. Some jackass comes in here and shouts his lungs off that Catwoman and B&R are the best films ever made, he's bound to get his opinions mauled. Same rationale here as well. You cannot prove an opinion wrong, but you sure as hell can question and argue on the basis for said opinions. Otherwise, there would be no discussion.

Get it, bub?

Yeah. So? Since when are people aren't allowed to do that anymore? :confused:
It's the weakest form of argument.

Or more appropriately, his rationale for attacking BB against him. Like I said, read the posts properly bucko.
That doesn't change anything. You are still discrediting his criticisms based on the movies he likes.

Yet three posts now and you couldn't even grasp the simple fact that I was using Wesyeed's senseless arguments against him and
I grasped that fine.

Uh, no. You have to treat posters with respect but you don't need to respect their opinions. Some jackass comes in here and shouts his lungs off that Catwoman and B&R are the best films ever made, he's bound to get his opinions mauled. Same rationale here as well. You cannot prove an opinion wrong, but you sure as hell can question and argue on the basis for said opinions. Otherwise, there would be no discussion.

Get it, bub?
Yeah but going "wesyeed liked ghost rider lulz" isn't doing that, is it?

Qwerty©;11967871 said:
It's the weakest form of argument.

No, it works pretty well. The only ones who think it is the weakest form of argument are the ones who are on the receiving end.

That doesn't change anything. You are still discrediting his criticisms based on the movies he likes.

Of course, because his criticism is hypocritical. It's like a double standard - say BB has bad editing, is bland and tries too hard to be deep, but the over self-indulgence and piss poor length of Superman Returns and Hulk apparently makes the one of the best comic book films ever? Yeah right. :whatever:

By the way, Wesyeed can speak for himself if he's got a brain and a keyboard. Why are you fighting so vigorously for him? You two related or something?

I grasped that fine.

Then you probably also have grasped that it is now time for you to shut up. Questioning the validity of someone's arguments to discredit them is completely legal on these boards.

Yeah but going "wesyeed liked ghost rider lulz" isn't doing that, is it?

Except that I said a bit more than that. Do try to keep up, sonny.

The funniest thing is seeing people using criticisms against the new suit or the Batpod that were already proven wrong with the old suit and The Tumbler. It´s like they never learn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"