The Dark Knight If You Could Give Mr. Nolan Just One Suggestion On Making TDK...

If I could give Nolan any advice I'd say watch the cartoons. All of them featuring Batman from BTAS to Beyond to JLU to yes, to a lesser extent even The Batman.

And absorb it. Not to slavishly ape it, but digest it and get a feel for it, and fold that back in to what you've created in Begins.

And then watch a LOT of good (especially Asian) action movies, primarily ones that focus on people with great physical skills and abilities (rather than car chases and shootouts). See the kind of editing and shot composition they use and what makes them work. In other words, pull back the camera, let shots go on for more than a second, and don't be scared to actually show Batman to us.

That's 2 pieces of advice I guess, and I'd give him the first if I could only give him one, but both would help a lot.

lujho said:
If I could give Nolan any advice I'd say watch the cartoons. All of them featuring Batman from BTAS to Beyond to JLU to yes, to a lesser extent even The Batman.

And absorb it. Not to slavishly ape it, but digest it and get a feel for it, and fold that back in to what you've created in Begins.

And then watch a LOT of good (especially Asian) action movies, primarily ones that focus on people with great physical skills and abilities (rather than car chases and shootouts). See the kind of editing and shot composition they use and what makes them work. In other words, pull back the camera, let shots go on for more than a second, and don't be scared to actually show Batman to us.

That's 2 pieces of advice I guess, and I'd give him the first if I could only give him one, but both would help a lot.

Wow, these are excellent suggestions!

Morgoth said:
My suggestion is start calling the tumbler The Batmobile. There's no reason it can't be called that. It's not something to be ashamed of, it's a cool name for the coolest car, that's what it is. And those who don't like that aren't fans. That's Batman, he has Bat-gadgets and, Bat-vehicles.

I hate when some filmmakers act like it's beneath them to make a comic book movie and seem ashamed to do it so they start renaming things and taking things out, well this is Batman, a comic book movie, so make it what it is. It's not campy it's the Batmobile.

I disagree - I see the name of "The Batmobile" to be more of a Robin invention. I always liked how in the Dark Knight Return Batman talks about how it was Richard who named the car - that makes sense. I just don't see why Bruce Wayne would feel the need to name his car - but maybe thats just me.

StorminNorman said:
I disagree - I see the name of "The Batmobile" to be more of a Robin invention. I always liked how in the Dark Knight Return Batman talks about how it was Richard who named the car - that makes sense. I just don't see why Bruce Wayne would feel the need to name his car - but maybe thats just me.

That really make sense. If for some reason the Tumber has to be mentioned by Batman, I would prefer he call it "the car". Let Alfred as part of his cynical nature refer to it as "The Batmobile" and show Bruce mocking rolling his eyes or something to the reference.

My suggestion would be to make the Tumbler look like the damn Batmobile for god sakes. Or show the evolution of him jazzing it up into the Batmobile.

lujho said:

Just make sure he skips over anything involving Dent or Two-Face. I absolutley hated the B:TAS version of Two-Face. Just about everything about him I hated. It was a great show, but that's it's one weak spot. Hopefully he'll take his version of Two-Face from The Long Halloween, since I know he's read the book.

Mr. Nolan- Don't be afraid to use characters that failed in previous installments: (Batman, Robin, Bat girl, Two-Face, Joker, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Bane, Poison Ive, Catwoman, the Penguin). It is not the fault of the particular character, rather that of the director/writer who had a hold of them. You can make these great characters shine as they do in the comics, like you did with Batman, rectifying past mistakes, in BATMAN BEGINS.

Don't be afraid to do the same with other characters.

-R

Mr. Nolan as much as I loved Batman Begins may I suggest you emphasize on the action into great details. I know it's too much to ask Mr. Nolan but if you cannot direct a movie with substance and great action then you might as well get a second director on board just for the action sequence after all it is a Batman movie....

How are you all looking for great action, when the villain is mostly The Joker...and maybe Two-Face? These are not villains that calls for great action.

Visionary said:
How are you all looking for great action, when the villain is mostly The Joker...and maybe Two-Face? These are not villains that calls for great action.

Are you kidding me? do you even know who your talking about!? Your talking about a homocidal maniac that will do ANYTHING just for the hell of it. Use your Visionary imagination now do you have any idea what the joker is capable of? Imagine the joker takes out rocket launchers and starts shooting everything in sight, Man it's the joker he doesn't know what's right or wrong he just knows his WAY and his Way is worse than wrong. Trust me the joker is one hell of a perfect candidate for great action. TWO-FACE is pretty much punisher he kills people executioner style man this guy is full of hatred and no sorrow with TWO-FACE he can do the action with a bit more style and grittier. With joker he can do the action with more on the theatrics and innovation.

You get my drift?

Two-Face coldstone killer with a hatred for every living creature

Joker sick homicidal maniac that cannot seperate right or wrong and doesn't give a danm about anything or anyone.

The same could be said about both. Besides were also going to have the mob element in the next one.

StorminNorman said:
Actually I can see Michale Caine as Alfred naming it The Batmboile.

Visionary said:

But they do and will have hench-men like in B89 and BForever. Henchies always will be there for a beat down. And most of the best action scenes from those two afore-mentioned movies are with hench-men. Get me? You get me.

Better fight scenes.

Show Batman rounding up Scarecrow in the beginning.

Have the Joker hurt Rachael Dawes.

Forget that bit in BB where Fox says that the suit can deflect knives. Have the Joker stab Batman a few times in the guts, DKR style. It will be hard for the Joker to hurt Bats *in a theatrically pleasing manner* if that suit is so good.

Dear Mr. Nolan,
I was serious about Etrigan.
-Ronny

Punch said:
Actually I can see Michale Caine as Alfred naming it The Batmboile.

Didn't I say that?

raybia said:
That really make sense. If for some reason the Tumber has to be mentioned by Batman, I would prefer he call it "the car". Let Alfred as part of his cynical nature refer to it as "The Batmobile" and show Bruce mocking rolling his eyes or something to the reference.

lujho said:

Yes !

Improve the action, thats my only suggestion and of course double the action, the tension and everything.

Make sure the movie focus on Batman/Bruce Wayne and NOT the Villians or your personal taste ala Tim Burton ideas in 'Batman Returns'.

Not a must but try to recreate famous comic covers in posters.

Darknightnomis said:
Make sure the movie focus on Batman/Bruce Wayne and NOT the Villians or your personal taste ala Tim Burton ideas in 'Batman Returns'.

Big suggestion. Nolan needs to understand this.

Don't screw up Mr. Nolan, you're only one movie away from being the next Joel Schumaker.

WeaponXProject said:
My suggestion would be to make the Tumbler look like the damn Batmobile for god sakes. Or show the evolution of him jazzing it up into the Batmobile.

that's a good idea too. they could point out the fact that some wayne enterprises employees that worked on the tumbler may recognize it, and so he disguises it, in the process bringing the look closer to the batmobile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"