The Wolverine In Place of Hugh Jackman?

lol i honoestly thought jean claude van damme would play a good wolverine but ever since seeing hugh as logan, i take back my comment

Hugh seems to love playing Wolverine, which makes it all the more difficult to recast - you'd really want someone with the same commitment as him.

I quite like the Scott Caan suggestion - he's kinda short, muscular and and stocky, and always seems to have massive sideburns :D. Give him darker hair and he could probably pull it off.

Scott_Caan_1.jpg

I think Josh Holloway wouldn't be a bad bet either. He's intense, and kinda perfected his 'constantly angry' look on Lost, though a haircut would definitely be needed

2dslc1x.jpg

In X-Men 1 I though Hugh was great, but then after numerous views of his "performance" as wolverine….ehhhh. If he stays he stays no harm done, but id rather them reboot wolverine. New Guy, character closer to his rustic self in the comics, and a much more grittier film. The current film wolverine, he needs to "Harden the F$%k up". IMO

I liked that originally they wanted Glenn Danzig to play him, however I think now we just need an under 6' guy who always looks angry.

James Purefoy. I just watched Solomon Kane and even if he looks a bit like Hugh Jackman, he could definitely play him.
Purefoy reminds me that Tom Jane was actually an audition away from getting the part. Singer wanted him, but the execs needed a screen test and he was too busy.

I reckon Karl Urban could play a good version too

Nah hugh jackman has done a really good job with wolverine as far as him portraying the character, yes origins wolverine sucked but hugh jackman did an excellent job with what he had to work with. Therss no need to recast him hes a great wolverine they just need to fire all there writers and bring in people who know what there doing.

^agreed. Jackman's not the problem. The problem (after X2) became the studio. They tried making Wolverine into Captain America. He's not a kid-friendly character. They tried to make him that way in an effort to increase their revenue. Ironically, the character's box office appeal reduced after X2 - which was the most violent film outta the 4 films Jackman's done (the MPAA originally wanted to give it an "R" rating just for the scene in the kitchen). What FOX needs to do is take the Vaughn route & completely disregard the children by appealing only to a demographic that would actually enjoy the real Wolverine (X2 Wolverine). This is a very vicious character that Jackman mastered emotionally in X2 & physically in Origins. No other actor would have applied the attention to detail Jackman showed during the last film. The guy's 6'3" & lanky by nature yet looked like a bodybuilder throughout the film. He truly looked like Wolverine when rising from the tank. Jackman's never been a problem. He's great.

Scott Caan would be a good Wolverine.

Josh Holloway fits well for Gambit. He's too sexy-looking for Wolverine I think.

I can see Benicio Del Toro ,Russell Crowe, and Dougray Scott also (the latter tow being the guys who were originally supposed to play him) would work as well. For that matter Angela Basset, which I made a thread about some time ago, would make a far superior Storm and and Gillian Anderson would also be a great (although unsure if better) Jean Grey.

Last edited:
Jon Bernthal?

I like it :up:

If they had the bux . . . Tom Cruise

I know people have problems with his politics but he's got a good body type for Wolverine and he's a damn good actor. Get him in the Les Grossman hair suit and some Wolvie style hair and there you.

If they had the bux . . . Tom Cruise

I know people have problems with his politics but he's got a good body type for Wolverine and he's a damn good actor. Get him in the Les Grossman hair suit and some Wolvie style hair and there you.

:nono: no, no, no, no, no, no, stop that. I think Tom Cruise could make a for a great Mr.Sinister though, I'm being serious when i say this, but he could bring all of that crazy Scientology intensity to the role, it would fit really well with Mr.S's intense devotion to genetic manipulation of mutants.

Honestly I think Tom gets bum wrap as an actor because people fail to discern his characters from his real life persona. He really is a good actor and I feel could give Logan considerable depth and power lacking in the Jackman incarnation with the right script.

It will never happen but that's not really the point here.

Hugh Jackman is definitely not the problem. We probably don't realize it but I believe we're in the golden age of many superhero castings. Will there ever be a better Wolverine, Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America than we have now? I doubt it.

Hugh gives his Wolverine a sense of warmth and depth while being completely ferocious at the same time. I'd hate to see him go.

Hugh Jackman is definitely not the problem. We probably don't realize it but I believe we're in the golden age of many superhero castings. Will there ever be a better Wolverine, Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America than we have now? I doubt it.

Hugh gives his Wolverine a sense of warmth and depth while being completely ferocious at the same time. I'd hate to see him go.

Yeah, the Wolverine ferocity has been seriously lacking in my opinion. I'm not saying it's Hugh's fault, it's just the writing. Hugh has been good. I just would like to see a Wolverine done by a creative team that embraces the feral and darker aspects of the character. This is a guy that has a past full of violence and death. Who at times can't keep his rage at bay and loses control. You never saw that with Jackman's Logan. To me it is an element that is vital to my understanding and appreciation of the character. It is the reason he is a compelling a character. Without his feral nature he is just another cyclops with a slightly worse attitude.

Yeah, the Wolverine ferocity has been seriously lacking in my opinion. I'm not saying it's Hugh's fault, it's just the writing. Hugh has been good. I just would like to see a Wolverine done by a creative team that embraces the feral and darker aspects of the character. This is a guy that has a past full of violence and death. Who at times can't keep his rage at bay and loses control. You never saw that with Jackman's Logan. To me it is an element that is vital to my understanding and appreciation of the character. It is the reason he is a compelling a character. Without his feral nature he is just another cyclops with a slightly worse attitude.

I don't know man, I think it's pretty present in X1 and X2. In particular during the mansion raid of X2. It's definitely not there in the other two films though.

I've said it a few times... but I still think the most ferocious and truest depiction of Wolverine was still portrayed by the child actor at the start of Wolverine and not by Jackman at all...

Jackman as a person has too much warmth and it keeps shining through in his portrayal.

That's why I'd rather see a Russell Crowe or someone who's already pretty damn beastial playing the character.

eh, the Wolverine I read in the comics from the late 70s to the mid-90s, always had that warmth shining through his character. He had his fair share of friends, younger sidekicks who adored him, romantic interests who he had a shared love with...if he had only been a crazy beastial man, those people would not have had such affection for him.
In the first couple of years, he was mainly a rough, tough guy who was difficult to get to know, but they covered that in the first X-Men film.

eh, the Wolverine I read in the comics from the late 70s to the mid-90s, always had that warmth shining through his character.
True. But I don't think Jackman's Logan is so much a rough guy with warmth shining through as he is a charming guy with a cocky macho swagger.

True. But I don't think Jackman's Logan is so much a rough guy with warmth shining through as he is a charming guy with a cocky macho swagger.

eh, he was portrayed as being a bit rough in the films, look at how he was living when Rogue found him, and he walked into the kitchen of a kid's school expecting to find beer in the fridge, lol.
I also believed Bobby Drake's families reaction to Logan, where they were skeptical that he was a teacher due to his rough persona, and were scared at their initial meeting with him, it was not just that there was a stranger in their house, but that there was a dangerous looking stranger, who gave out a wild vibe. I think that came across in the first three films.

Honestly I think Tom gets bum wrap as an actor because people fail to discern his characters from his real life persona. He really is a good actor and I feel could give Logan considerable depth and power lacking in the Jackman incarnation with the right script.

It will never happen but that's not really the point here.

I have no probs with Tom Cruise's acting skills, he is a fine actor, i just think he would be mis-cast as Wolverine, which is not a diss on his acting skills. Sometimes someone's 'persona' or even look, is just not right for a certain character, and that's what I think about his casting as the character.
To me, casting Tom Cruise as Wolverine, would be like casting Liam Neeson as the Joker, yeah, you could dress them up to look like the character, and they might give a good acting performance, but there would something off about them, as their persona, their vibe that they carry about with them as people, which they cannot really shed, is really not suited to the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"