In The Multiverse Of Madness Spoiler Discussion Thread

So DS1 ended with Mordo losing faith in the Ancient Once and we saw him on a quest to take out other sorcerers. We finally get the sequel to that film and the only Mordo we see is an alternate universe one....WTF?!? How the hell they just drop that plot? I think Stephen had a quick line expressing animosity towards his Mordo and I guess we are to assume Mordo came for him between films. Not enough people are talking about that

I dont think it matters, honestly. It may get covered in a later movie, but them deciding to go another direction in the movie isn't a problem with the movie itself. Not doing 616 Mordo doesn't make the story of MoM any better or worse

Surely 616 Mordo will be a major player in DS3.

I dont think it matters, honestly. It may get covered in a later movie, but them deciding to go another direction in the movie isn't a problem with the movie itself. Not doing 616 Mordo doesn't make the story of MoM any better or worse
It does if that plotpoint was dealt with and resolved off panel which is the implication I got

It does if that plotpoint was dealt with and resolved off panel which is the implication I got

It being mentioned that Mordo wants to kill Strange doesn't mean that plot line is over or ended off screen. That plot point is still out there for whether they decide to go back to it. But even if it never comes back, that doesn't make this movie any better or worse because something from a different movie didn't come up in this one. That would be like saying Spider-Man No Way Home sucked because Mac Gargan hasn't become Scorpion yet

It being mentioned that Mordo wants to kill Strange doesn't mean that plot line is over or ended off screen. That plot point is still out there for whether they decide to go back to it. But even if it never comes back, that doesn't make this movie any better or worse because something from a different movie didn't come up in this one. That would be like saying Spider-Man No Way Home sucked because Mac Gargan hasn't become Scorpion yet
And he'll never become Scorpion. He died in a standoff with Cartel goons somewhere in Mexico.

Did I ever say or imply that this movie sucks bc of what wasnt done with Mordo though?

Did I ever say or imply that this movie sucks bc of what wasnt done with Mordo though?
Given the tone provided in your post about them not advancing the story, it seems like this was something that disappointed you about the movie. So that is the impression I got. If incorrect on that front, I apologize but my core point remains: it is no different than what has been done with Mac Gargan, who is still in jail from Homecoming and it hasn't been addressed since. But that doesn't mean it won't be some other time. That just wasn't a factor in this particular story.

So DS1 ended with Mordo losing faith in the Ancient Once and we saw him on a quest to take out other sorcerers. We finally get the sequel to that film and the only Mordo we see is an alternate universe one....WTF?!? How the hell they just drop that plot? I think Stephen had a quick line expressing animosity towards his Mordo and I guess we are to assume Mordo came for him between films. Not enough people are talking about that
It seems like everything having to do with Thanos is MCU public knowledge, except who was Spider-Man. Blipped or not 616 Mordo now lives in a world where socerers are no longer seen as curiosities like LARPers but heroes, up there with Wakanda's and the Asgardian armies. By becoming one of Wong's apprentacies could be a way into super hero service up there with joining a public S.W.O.R.D. instead of hoping for gamma radiation accident. So while Mordo might still have his mission it might just be more difficult to accomplish.

But that is just a head canoned explanation for Mordo to drop his quest. A story of Strange chasing down Mordo might just not be able to fit. I think that it would be fun if a non sorcerer is a detective out to stop him

Captain Carter was a highlight for me as much as Xavier and Reed tbh. I love that they keep bringing back Atwell and Clark Gregg.
I really want to see her in the 616 universe as a persistent character. Give Sam a bit of time to bed in and then get her in! She looks great as the character.

All the Mordo stuff kind of shows is how little the credit scenes matter imo. They are fun, I enjoy them, but they get retconned or not followed up on all the time. And even when they are, outside of maybe Fury, Thanos, and the moving of the Infinity Stone in TDW, they don't feel like they factor in greatly.

All that said, I think they took out the original Mordo opening because they probably have plans with him going forward. Which I'm happy about.

Captain Carter was a highlight for me as much as Xavier and Reed tbh. I love that they keep bringing back Atwell and Clark Gregg.
She was definitely my favorite. Charles was a close second.

Messy, lazy, reactive and uninspired 100%. Totally agree. I would add painfully contrived.

Should have been called "Dr Estranged and the Messy-Verse of Meh-ness"

I really wanted to like this film - I loved Dr Strange 1. But this was such a step down.
Yeah, I really disliked the first Doctor Strange movie. I'm a Strange fan and a fan of magical folk in general. So the first film being low on the magic did nothing for me. Especially with it's lack of forward momentum and second act. I also really dislike the use of Wong and Christine there, and let's not forget the whitewashing. The Inception rip offs and finale were both mint though.

Every appearence from Strange since has been better and better, culminating in an actual Doctor Strange flick. Everything from the magic, to necromancy, to cosmic horror.

Yeah I need to see this again. :atp:

Last edited:
All the Mordo stuff kind of shows is how little the credit scenes matter imo. They are fun, I enjoy them, but they get retconned or not followed up on all the time. And even when they are, outside of maybe Fury, Thanos, and the moving of the Infinity Stone in TDW, they don't feel like they factor in greatly.

All that said, I think they took out the original Mordo opening because they probably have plans with him going forward. Which I'm happy about.

What was the original opening?

I would also include Mysterio revealing Peter's identity as a consequential post credits

What was the original opening?

I would also include Mysterio revealing Peter's identity as a consequential post credits
Wanda killed 616 Mordo.

And you are totally right about that one. I always forget it's a credit scene. Probably because it picks up right after.

So if you guys had to guess what part of the film do you think is where the reshoots took place? The Act II stuff with the illuminati?

Wanda killed 616 Mordo.

And you are totally right about that one. I always forget it's a credit scene. Probably because it picks up right after.

I hadn’t heard that before

I hadn’t heard that before
It was in early plot leaks, the same that mentioned Balder being in an early version. Honestly I'm fine with them ignoring Mordo all together instead of them snuffing him out in the opening of the movie.

It was in early plot leaks, the same that mentioned Balder being in an early version. Honestly I'm fine with them ignoring Mordo all together instead of them snuffing him out in the opening of the movie.

Agreed. I would rather see Mordo have some role in the next movie. I kind of would love to see Strange and Clea maybe recruit some heroes for a revolution against Dormammu in the Dark Dimension. Like recruit Namor and Hulk and give us a classic Defenders, and maybe Mordo joins that group with plans to kill Strange sometime when he gets a chance.

But that is just an off the top of my head suggestion. They can take that a number of ways

I never liked the idea of him having a cameo so I'm glad he wasn't there tbh. He wouldn't fit, either way. I was skeptical about xavier returning, due to how well his ending was handled in Logan, but I think overall it worked here. Wolverine, though, I feel would have been more risky.
Wolverine does not fit in a lot of cameos for MCU unless Hulk or Spider-Man are around. Captain America is dead so they can't appear as old war buddies.

Hugh Jackman/838 Wolverine, Tom Cruise/838 Superior Iron Man, Tobey Maguire/Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield/Spider-Man, Emma Stone/Spider-Gwen...I expect to see them all in Secret Wars.
Could but I am not holding my breath on it, they haven't really given us the next big arc in a clear movie yet. In phase 1 we didn't know until Cap 1 with the Tesseract that they were going towards IWs.

Any big team up saga is 10-15 years away so Jackman will be in his 60s and Wolverine is far more physically demanding than Xavier in a chair.Would Cruise really just want to appear in a one and done what if RDJ is like no I don't mind coming back for a one off as a different Stark personality. I rather see RDJ pull off a different Stark if given the choice. The Spider-Man is CGI cso no big deal on that, no need for Spider-Gwen and Stone would be near 50s plus her Gwen is dead so they likely go with a younger one.

One thing that could be cool for the next one is if Mordo didn't get blipped and spent those five years hunting sorcerers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"