Arrow In your opinion who is the female Lead if there was one?

Kster95

Civilian
Reaction score
I would say Laurel but a close second would be Thea however Felicity would be last.

If you look you will see that Felicity has the least character development and of the females the least focus. Her story lines have consisted of that 1 origin episode and a lot romance plot.

If we look at both Laurel and Thea they have had much more focus and storylines.

Thea

Vertigo/Car accident/Community service(Season 1 stuff Remember?)
Finding out Merlyn is her father
Training with Merlyn
Killing Sara
Current stuff like her 'death'

Laurel

Helping the Hood/Vigilante through cases as a lawyer
Dealing with Oliver's return from the dead
Tommy's death/Drug addiction
Figuring out the truth about Sebastian Blood
Dealing with Sara's return/rise from rock bottom
Sara's death
Training with Wildcat
Becoming Black Canary

Felicity is the female lead currently although she is extremely annoying on arrow....

Gotta be Laurel this year, since it's her origin story.

On paper it's basically Katie/Laurel.
In the writers head, it would be Felicity.

I think the original intention was for it to be Laurel, but Felicity's popularity (with both fans and TPTB) along with some general mishandling of Laurel,pretty much pushed Felicity to lead status from about the first quarter of the 2nd season through now.

That's a tricky one.

On the one hand, I want to say Felicity because she has a lot of screen time. But, she hasn't had a lot of character development. Particularly in season 3 due to the writers deciding to re-write Felicity and Oliver's friendship as some tortured, teen angst ridden, Romeo and Juliet style romance.

On the other hand, I would have to say Laurel Lance/Black Canary because she has a decent amount of screen-time and even though she's been inconsistently written, there has been something of a logical development in her character from season 1 to season 3. And her character is continuing to evolve and grow.

I guess I would give the title to Felicity, but hopefully Felicity, Laurel and Thea will all be on equal footing next season.

It's funny, when they swapped Laurel and Felicity's stature on the show, Laurel became the cool one and Felicity became the wet blanket.

The Sad truth.

I have this theory, that with a lot of secondary characters that seem really awesome in limited roles, when they get more spotlight, they lose a lot of what made them cool. Felicity has been in just about every episode, includin the Flashback episode, whereas Laurel has gone entire episodes without appearing or episodes like the crossover and several others where she literally has one scene that's done in 30 seconds.

It's more because once that character becomes popular, they put them in everything. It's like that song that just keeps getting played over and over and over again.

Ok based on fan reaction Felicity may seem like the female lead but in actual development and focus to her individual character she pales in comparison to Laurel and Thea. Her focus hasnt been on Felicity the charcater its been Felicity and a guy mostly the pairing.

The Sad truth.

I have this theory, that with a lot of secondary characters that seem really awesome in limited roles, when they get more spotlight, they lose a lot of what made them cool. Felicity has been in just about every episode, includin the Flashback episode, whereas Laurel has gone entire episodes without appearing or episodes like the crossover and several others where she literally has one scene that's done in 30 seconds.

I pray that something changes in the status quo for next season. I've had just about my fill of her character to the point where she's more irritating than what I had perceived the likes of Lana Lang and Mary Jane Watson (Raimi's films) to be.

Maybe if she gets out of the spotlight, then it'll give her a chance to grow likable again while allowing someone new to take her place.

And the only reason why I feel Felicity still has fans is because of Emily's appeal and not so much her character.

I pray that something changes in the status quo for next season. I've had just about my fill of her character to the point where she's more irritating than what I had perceived the likes of Lana Lang and Mary Jane Watson (Raimi's films) to be.

Maybe if she gets out of the spotlight, then it'll give her a chance to grow likable again while allowing someone new to take her place.

And the only reason why I feel Felicity still has fans is because of Emily's appeal and not so much her character.

According to Marc Felicity will appear on vixen And maybe the spin off.

If they can get her away from Oliver that'd be great, it was a breath of fresh air character-wise to see her back on form on the Flash this week.

Felicity does not need to appear in every single spin off they do! But I am guessing she will show flash in when Ollie finds out about the Barricty (lol) kiss on the Vixen spin off (why they are dragging it there, idk)

Laurel for me. I have thought of her as the female lead since season 1.

It definitely has more to do with Emily's charm than it has to do with the character herself. Just look at how different she was on the Flash episodes this season, or in her early scenes with Ray, all of that charm is the biggest reason why she became a series regular and as popular as she was. But on Arrow, once the spotlight got to her, ,I feel like she couldn't handle it.

Laurel was kind of a b**** to Oliver for most of season 1, but there was a reason for it, and the reason why her arc in season 2 was unbearable for the most part was because it had pushed her so far away that she was on her island in terms of arcs, until finally she was connected to the main arc with Slade, learned about Oliver and Sara, and helped take down Brother Blood. In the end, her character was stronger for it. But Felicity is losing stock in my opinion and it's getting to a point where it's killing the show because she is directly in the A-plot, whereas Laurel was pushed to the C and D plots.

It's this show's major problem that their female side character got more popular than the female lead. And the plot is suffering for it. I still think a lot of the blame lies with the writers, for not really making Laurel integral early on, and giving her just some of the worst material on the show. Then rushing the final episodes of Season 2 to suddenly make her this great character, but it just didn't work for me. And it's also the actors that make or break these characters. Felicity would have been nowhere near as popular, had it not been for Rickards. And similarly I feel that Laurel never really took off because of Cassidy.

Last edited:
The biggest thing that really arc Laurel last season was that when the series started, there was expectation of seeing her the Black Canary one day, so that generated interested.

But when Sara was introduced and was basically everything Laurel was supposed to be or would become, it made her seem pointless at that point. We already had a badass Canary, why is Laurel around then?

In the grander scheme of things, her arc works, but in reality, you have a new female character in Sara jump her in the costume department, and a side character like Felicity jump her in the romance, so there was really nothing left for Laurel to do.

It's this show's major problem that their female side character got more popular than the female lead. And the plot is suffering for it. I still think a lot of the blame lies with the writers, for not really making Laurel integral early on, and giving her just some of the worst material on the show. Then rushing the final episodes of Season 2 to suddenly make her this great character, but it just didn't work for me. And it's also the actors that make or break these characters. Felicity would have been nowhere near as popular, had it not been for Rickards. And similarly I feel that Laurel never really took off because of Cassidy.

I think the real issue is that the creator's feel the female lead must appeal to a specific idea of the demographic; that she must have a highly emotional and probably not logical or even ethical storyline devoted to tumultuous and angst filled relationships with a male character. You see it in Laurel (her season one arc got derailed by the Ollie romance, and her seasons 2&3 seem to want to make her and her father hurt each other "for their own good), and now you see it in Felicity (notice how radically different they've been writing her this season to focus on angst and emotional issues with Ollie) and you see it in Iris in the Flash (she's so tertiary to the main plot that literally every other character is involved now outside of her).

Notice how much better Felcity was earlier? Or how Sara and Caitlin were? Or how Laurel's improved now that she's become a supporting player for the season? They're not tied down by the belief that angst is needed for character development, and they're awesome.

I think it's a serious issue the creators need to drop before they launch Suprgirl; have the romantic lead involved and beneficial to the story, and avoid the tired cliches about superhero love interests like the plague.

Felicity does not need to appear in every single spin off they do! But I am guessing she will show flash in when Ollie finds out about the Barricty (lol) kiss on the Vixen spin off (why they are dragging it there, idk)

NcPj4.gif

I swear, if they have any more male heroes falling in love with her then Felicity will truly become the female version of Oliver.

Man, they've really gone overboard with her exposure. The more I see her, the more I want to turn off my screen. At least with Iris, her annoyance is limited to one show but Felicity is allowed to bring her annoyance to every CW-DC show.

Why can't they just allow her to go back to the way she was in Season 2?

It definitely has more to do with Emily's charm than it has to do with the character herself. Just look at how different she was on the Flash episodes this season, or in her early scenes with Ray, all of that charm is the biggest reason why she became a series regular and as popular as she was. But on Arrow, once the spotlight got to her, ,I feel like she couldn't handle it.

Laurel was kind of a b**** to Oliver for most of season 1, but there was a reason for it, and the reason why her arc in season 2 was unbearable for the most part was because it had pushed her so far away that she was on her island in terms of arcs, until finally she was connected to the main arc with Slade, learned about Oliver and Sara, and helped take down Brother Blood. In the end, her character was stronger for it. But Felicity is losing stock in my opinion and it's getting to a point where it's killing the show because she is directly in the A-plot, whereas Laurel was pushed to the C and D plots.

I never thought that I'd actually find myself enjoying Laurel's character a hell of a lot more than Felicity. Not even in my wildest dreams.

Felicity (Season 3) and Captain Lance (Public Enemy-Current) have become the show's two most intolerable characters that I've seen on the history of Superhero shows within recent memory.

Felicity always manages an way to bring up on how Oliver screwed himself over by not wanting to be with her and Captain Lance has been a solidified *****e who I really hope doesn't make it past this season.

With Felicity, I feel like she could be redeemable if they allowed Laurel to take the female lead status for awhile in Season 4 and give us some breather from Felicity. But for Captain Lance, that dude is beyond redeemable.

The three characters that have been really screwed over as a result of Captain Lance and Felicity this season have been Roy, Ray, and Laurel.

I kinda wonder, what was the point of having Felicity kiss Barry. Yes, they had a much more immediate amount of chemistry, and they had their eyes set on others, but I almost feel like it's was forced in the same way as the Caitlin and Barry kiss is going to be, because they are trying to appeal to shippers of all sorts.

I kinda wonder, what was the point of having Felicity kiss Barry. Yes, they had a much more immediate amount of chemistry, and they had their eyes set on others, but I almost feel like it's was forced in the same way as the Caitlin and Barry kiss is going to be, because they are trying to appeal to shippers of all sorts.

I dont really have a problem with Felicity kissing Barry. In the comics characters always randomly kiss other character bunch of times.

But the Caitlin and Barry kiss will be because of a shapeshifter I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"