Infinite Crisis > Civil War ?

Victor Von Doom

Sidekick
Reaction score
After a careful re-reading of the DC universe's Infinite Crisis saga, I ha a moment of contemplation over the writers of the marvel universe. So far, all of the major massive character involvements and earth threatening scraps haven't been as amazing pieces of literature as the Infinate Crisis was. Now I'm using this as a comparison because it is the most recent of the DC cataclysms.

I have to admit, that I was excited when I head there was going to be a House of M. I read as many of the wacky story lines that I could get my eyes across, but when I think about it, they seemed to be nothing more than wacky what if's and crazy role playing scenarios, It was kind of a dissapointment. Now We have the current Civil War that is threatening our marvel universe, and while I haven't read every issue, I've read the majority, and have seen how the writers have treated the characters. Some of the arcs are good and some are less than, but none are blow you away amazing. In my opinion I feel as if crisis, much like Avengers disassembled, it saturated with mediocrity.

Now don't think That i'm merely a DC fanboy or anything like that. I can already feel the wheels turning in your heads as your fingers remain poised over the keyboard until the last sentence has been read in hopes to slander my name all over the boards, but I am merely just posing a question to you as a fellow marvel fan. Do you Like the Civil War? Do you think it's compelling reading material? (hmm I guess that's two questions) I have grown up with Marvel comics, not DC. I started my interest in comics with my first purchase of the Uncanny X-men line. I love the marvel characters, I just detest the lack of creativity in dealing with the 616 universe. (with the exception of the runaways, though it's not exactly hard to keep entirely new characters fresh) In the Ultimate line, the Ultimates, and Ultimate Galactus really knew how to weave some mystery into these global threats. The Ultimates especially knew how to tell a story, drastic development with excceptional paving. It was magic. (shame it's ending), but Now I see this Civil War and frankly It's not that good.

:hyper: <~ All typos are the fault of the tick. . .

-- DOOM

The difference was Infinite Crisis was about finding out what makes a true hero, and those heroes working to attain that heroism that they lost or let slip.

Civil War has been about former heroes letting their moral ethics go to enforce a government law, and bringing down those who want to still remain true heroes.

while both series has it's good points and bad points...CW:Mischaracterization IC:Retcon punches

but to me IC just had me excited more than CW

IC was good, not great. The art was distracting and choppy, and the story really suffered between issues 3 and 5, really the most important thing to happen was SBP Teen Titans arm ripping. Civil War has been a quick read, really, the tie-ins are a lot more interesting, but the production values are much higher, even with the delays. That said, neither of the series are that great, but I await the usual suspects chiming in on how much better IC was then Civil War.

well, in its defense, civil war is not completed. IC was quite good. they're very different types of stories also

Another point being that IC had those big lead-ups, Countdown, Villains United, Rann-Thanagar War, Day of Vengeance, and OMAC Project w/ Sacrifice. A lot of stuff was needed to know what the hell was going on. And the Day of Vengeance plotline was pretty much all but forgotten.

That's true. The OMAC project w/ Sacrifice, and Day of Vengence was pretty damn compelling. The marvel Universe seems to lack the ability to story tell across the board.

well,either way...i prefer civil war to infinite crisis...(crisis was good,i liked the crisis of conscience)

but for me civil war is better..i find the bleakness and almost depressingness of marvel is more realistic than DC.

the superboy prime thing didnt do anything for me.

In both comics marvel and DC i have preffered most of marvels storylines...

i know civil war has had alot of knocks from people...but i still prefer it over infiniate crisis and crisis on infinite earths too.....secret wars(the original ) is better than the DC ones too IMO..

The difference between the two titles for me is that in IC I never really felt secure in the knowledge of what would happen it felt much more exciting for me. In Civil War I haven't been surprised yet, I've been entertained but everything has seemed like deja-vu for me - like I already knew everything that would happen.

To tell you the truth, Annihilation pwns both of em.

i havent read any of the annihillation series yet...how good exactly is it...and what exactly is it about..is that the series cap.marvel returns in????

Well, you know the FF villain, Annihilas? Well he's invaded the Marvel universe along with billions of his bug drones. Big, huge end of the Universe type s**t. So much so that the Heralds have had to team up, the Surfer has rejoined Galactis, and the Kree are working with the Skrulls and just about everybody else to try and stop the unstoppable. The entire Nova Corps has been killed, two Galactis level beings have been unleashed, it's pretty inteanse. Lots of characters have evolved, especially Nova.

Hmmm,sounds very good,,,has quasar been in it,i like quasar...an under used marvel guy.
so has captain marvel returned??..whats the status of genis vell??...i dont normally do the cosmic stuff.

same in DC dont bother with GL corps and the like in them too...

I'm waiting for the Annihilation Trades... but I've been sitting on my fingers to read it!

Unfortunately, the excitement level never resonated with Civil War. In the beginning I was all ready to "get into" another big event. But I became SOOO attached to the DCU as a result of following IC that my Marvel stature never followed suit...

All that to say I'm disappointed, but maybe more so because I didn't dare attempt to AFFORD keeping up with all of the CW tie-ins...but I lost interest as well. Especially with sketchy-at-best issues of Wolverine, Spider-Man, and all of the delays.

Darthphere said:
IC was good, not great. The art was distracting and choppy, and the story really suffered between issues 3 and 5, really the most important thing to happen was SBP Teen Titans arm ripping. Civil War has been a quick read, really, the tie-ins are a lot more interesting, but the production values are much higher, even with the delays. That said, neither of the series are that great, but I await the usual suspects chiming in on how much better IC was then Civil War.

I agree with what darth says.

Hmmm,sounds very good,,,has quasar been in it,i like quasar...an under used marvel guy

*Barely controls held-in laughter*

Read the comics, I don't want to spoil it for you. But yeah, he's in them. :D

As for Civil War and Infinite Crisis, I wish I could contribute to that discussion, but I don't like ANY DC characters at all, so I never read IC.

I also must add this, that at the time IC came out, we got an incomplete product as shown by the hardcover release, which had new pages, new plotlines, and a completely new ending. So the changes aren't small or inconsequential.

So when you consider the "unfinished" Infinite Crisis was STILL better than the DELAYED Civil War... What does that say about the Hardcover IC?

Well, there's still two more issues of Civil War, but I'll say this...Infinite Crisis consistently made me excited and proud. Civil War consistently makes me pissed and disappointed.

We can go over all the pros and cons of each and point out all the mischaracterizations and retcon punches and delays and art problems over and over again, but at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is how you feel about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"