Iron Fist Iron fist Costume thread

I like it and therefore wouldnt have a problem with it. To those who dont though - if it was a choice between that and nothing, would you take it?

I don't know. Some costumes are comparible to nothing. It has the mask at least, which is the one consistant thing we all want, but I'm just not too keen on the tracksuit. Better than a training gi I suppose.

Honestly, there's not much effort in having Danny be shirtless with a mask and some black pants. Already has the big chest tattoo. Instant Iron Fist costume.

iron_fist_mcu_concept_by_randomfilmsonline-db7ksz1.jpg

So I thought about how I would design the costume for Netflix, using concept art of Nightwing from Young Justice by Phil Bourassa as a base

I wanted to avoid having him wear a gi or some other classic martial artist outfit since it really wouldn't fit. So I wanted something that invokes it while still matching the aesthetic of the MCU. The mask is based off the one in the BTS photo. He has a t-shirt with sleeves ending just passed the elbow, I want to make sure his hand are uncovered for the special effects. The jacket is sleeveless to give the actors free range of movements, I can picture it being something Danny buys from the internet or Melvin Potter could makes it. I left out the logo because if you were going to wear a mask to hide your identity why have an icon that matches a brand you have on your chest? Always bugged me about the character.

The first one has a belt to refer to the kung fu origins, the second is more modern with straps that go around the back to make it more form fitting. The third is a "battle damage" version that calls back to the original comic costume. I picture the situation of him (sans shirt) fighting someone with a blade who cuts his jacket revealing the logo

iron_fist_mcu_concept_by_randomfilmsonline-db7ksz1.jpg

So I thought about how I would design the costume for Netflix, using concept art of Nightwing from Young Justice by Phil Bourassa as a base

I wanted to avoid having him wear a gi or some other classic martial artist outfit since it really wouldn't fit. So I wanted something that invokes it while still matching the aesthetic of the MCU. The mask is based off the one in the BTS photo. He has a t-shirt with sleeves ending just passed the elbow, I want to make sure his hand are uncovered for the special effects. The jacket is sleeveless to give the actors free range of movements, I can picture it being something Danny buys from the internet or Melvin Potter could makes it. I left out the logo because if you were going to wear a mask to hide your identity why have an icon that matches a brand you have on your chest? Always bugged me about the character.

The first one has a belt to refer to the kung fu origins, the second is more modern with straps that go around the back to make it more form fitting. The third is a "battle damage" version that calls back to the original comic costume. I picture the situation of him (sans shirt) fighting someone with a blade who cuts his jacket revealing the logo
I'd be fine with something in the spirit of these outfits. I even like the idea that the vest gets slashed and reveals the mark, making it look like the 70s outfit.

One of the problems I always find when thinking about Iron Fist's costume. The tattoo is a striking visual but if an identifiable mark like that is on display, why bother with a mask? If you really want him to care about his identity being secret he can't just have it on display.

I'm curious your reasoning for this.

Well I'm just picturing it in the tone and look of not just the MCU but of the netflix series which is far more casual and contemporary then the comic. For a costume we'd like to see every episode I think it'll stand out in the wrong way and look too cheesy. In a comic I'm all for the gi, but specifically this series I don't think having a standard gi would work that well. I also don't think having him wear traditional martial arts garb would help with the controversy some people see with the series. Having a blend of something tradition, urban, and modern that's unique to his character is the best course for this series. Which is what I tried to go for.

If they do a uniform they really need to get rid of the ribbons. I understand why they used them in the comic as a tool to show the spins and what not, but in reality they're wildly impractical, and would just look silly I think.

One of the problems I always find when thinking about Iron Fist's costume. The tattoo is a striking visual but if an identifiable mark like that is on display, why bother with a mask? If you really want him to care about his identity being secret he can't just have it on display.

What problem? LOL!
It's a little out there, but while not in "costume" in the general public they can have him wear one of these - https://www.google.com/search?q=shi...wdPTAhVC7iYKHYF1ASAQ_AUICigB&biw=1076&bih=885
It's called a shirt, "problem" solved. LOL!
Talk about fans making problems out of nothing.

Last edited:
It looks like the extent of his costume in Defenders will be YELLOW SHOES.

It looks like the extent of his costume in Defenders will be YELLOW SHOES.
LOL! Nailed it!
CJHhJVy.jpg
=
V4nhSoF.jpg

6zMslda.jpg

I guess this kinda sorta somewhat captures the spirit of the "costume".

As others indicate they wrote the character out of using a mask almost from the get go, even though the potential was there in the set up.
Interesting in all the promos I've seen for Defenders it's Murdock not in costume, like they are really trying to downplay that side exists.

Last edited:
why"? like the saying goes "don't be ashamed of your source material EMBRACE IT "

LOL! Nailed it!
CJHhJVy.jpg
=
V4nhSoF.jpg

6zMslda.jpg

I guess this kinda sorta somewhat captures the spirit of the "costume".

As others indicate they wrote the character out of using a mask almost from the get go, even though the potential was there in the set up.
Interesting in all the promos I've seen for Defenders it's Murdock not in costume, like they are really trying to downplay that side exists.

At least the suit has a green hue to it. I didn't mind the lack of costume in season 1, the way the story and characters were written it makes sense and while I would have prefer thy wrote it in I understand. But what I hated was that none of his wardrobe (that I remember) had any green at all. At least Luke Cage's hoodie has a yellow lining, the least they could do is give Danny a green shirt or something.

I'm hoping Danny gets introduced to Potter and he hires him at Rand to produce armor for the military, as well as fun Defender outfits. And setup him getting some kind of costume in season 2.

I think people are putting way too much emphasizes on the lack of DD's costume in promo materials. I'm betting most of the scenes with DD's outfit is stuff they don't want to spoil just yet.

I think people are putting way too much emphasizes on the lack of DD's costume in promo materials. I'm betting most of the scenes with DD's outfit is stuff they don't want to spoil just yet.
Spoiler ....:huh: LOL!
defendersheader4.jpg

The costume thing is a major twitch factor for me. Personally, I think people involved in comic book property, if they think costumes look "silly", pass them over. Such an ignorant point of view when adopting comic book material.

IMHO the costumes are part of these characters' mythology. It turns them into something different or something more than what they are, rather than just random blokes.

IMHO Marvel superheroes are more than just random vigilantes. They are heroes. Even for their flaws they are trying to do something or stand for something greater than just being a vigilante. They are heroes who are trying to do and stand for what is right.

It's not about realism, it's giving the people an ideal to strive for. It's giving the criminals something to fear.

The costume thing is a major twitch factor for me. Personally, I think people involved in comic book property, if they think costumes look "silly", pass them over. Such an ignorant point of view when adopting comic book material.

I tend to agree (I've emphasized my concern regarding Bullseye for a while), my fear is the "people involved" include Netflix. And they're paying the bills so it's hard to say no to them. If they don't want something, your show doesn't get made with it in.

I thought the whole 'we're doing a comic book adaption but cant make it too 'comic-booky as it would be too silly' attitude was a thing of the past. Seemingly [and unfortunately] not. Hence why my signature wont be changed for a good while.

I thought the whole 'we're doing a comic book adaption but cant make it too 'comic-booky as it would be too silly' attitude was a thing of the past. Seemingly [and unfortunately] not. Hence why my signature wont be changed for a good while.

It seems to be making its comeback. Hopefully the buck stops here.

Yeah I dont get it either.

I thought it was a thing of the past too

IMHO the costumes are part of these characters' mythology. It turns them into something different or something more than what they are, rather than just random blokes.

IMHO Marvel superheroes are more than just random vigilantes. They are heroes. Even for their flaws they are trying to do something or stand for something greater than just being a vigilante. They are heroes who are trying to do and stand for what is right.

It's not about realism, it's giving the people an ideal to strive for. It's giving the criminals something to fear.

I concur with you

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"