Luke Cage Luke Cage costume thread

Costume is on. From the link I previously posted. Heres Mike:

"I'll say it this way. The writers have been very clever and very on point with the way they allowed this to be grounded in realism [while] paying homage to the comic book and what comic book fans know to be their world. We're trying to bring it to the screen. I think we're going to satisfy everyone. We're not going to give them exactly what they want, but I think everyone will be ecstatic about what we're willing to do for them. We know what side our bread is buttered on. To try and not give the fans what they want would be a mistake;, that being said, it's going to be a unique way of delivering it. But they're going to get what they want eventually."

He has evolved past wearing costumes.

Keep in mind he didn't like the costume to begin with, he only wore it for marketing purposes. In the comics he's such a known figure that now he doesn't need that kind of publicity.

Or the show they're simply not going to go with anything hokey like that "Classic" costume. It'd run completely counter to everything else they're doing with the Netflix shows.

And regular clothes are built for throwing down when the person wearing them has unbreakable skin.

I'd argue that one of the things that makes Luke stand out these days is the fact that he doesn't wear a costume and rarely is seen in a uniform. He's very much a "Man of the people" more so than just about any other superhero.

I think "costume" is probably a stretch to describe whatever Cage will be wearing. To me a costume connotes a disguise of some type, Cage doesn't bother to hide his identity.

He'll likely have some sort of outfit but I doubt it'll look that different from regular street-wear.

Costumes don't have to be disguises. I can't think of the last Halloween costume I wore where people couldn't figure out who I was.

Costumes don't have to be disguises. I can't think of the last Halloween costume I wore where people couldn't figure out who I was.

You generally wear a costume to look like someone else. Otherwise it wouldn't be a costume at all.

My point is Luke's outfit will probably just reflect a riff on how he'd normally dress.

The image I posted on the last page taken from JJ of him in his yellow T is pretty Luke Cage in look but I wouldn't call that a costume.

The original costume was designed to make him look like a superhero so people would hire him. That was the "someone else."

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/17/mike-colter-comments-on-if-his-luke-cage-will-put-on-the-tiara-a/

I really, REALLY hope they don't even think about bringing back the tiara. The first black superhero to get a series which NOBODY will take seriously if they do that.

grid-cell-22017-1449528994-17.jpg

latest

http://collider.com/comic-con-2016-luke-cage-showrunner-mike-colter-interview-marvel/

We're getting a nod to the old school 70s look (hopefully it's just for that one episode).

Collider: Although you don’t have to be familiar with the comic to enjoy this series, there’s a great moment with a nod to the classic look that was so inspired. How fun was it to do that?

COKER: Charles Murray wrote that episode and actually executive produced the show with me, and actually now co-runs the show Star on Fox. Not only is Charles a brilliant writer/director, he’s also a geek, bar none. He was like, “Cheo, I’m writing that episode.” And I was like, “Yep, that episode is all yours.” He was the one that did it because, for the life of me, I could not figure out how you could incorporate the tiara in an organic way.

COLTER: I’m not a geek, in that sense, but I’ve been playing him for awhile now and I’ve been absorbing other people’s energy. I can only imagine what it must feel like to watch it happen slowly It’s like a slow orgasm, of some sort. A very slow orgasm that builds.

COKER: Tantric.

COLTER: Honestly, I felt like that was the longest episode of the series. I’m not kidding you. With the costume, the make-up, the set-ups, and the flashback sequence, it just took a long time to build that. I felt like once we got passed that episode, it was like, “Man, I think I could finish the series now.” That episode felt like a series by itself, almost. I think it was a 12 or 13 day shoot. We did the reveal at one in the morning, somewhere in Queens, in somebody’s backyard. It was cold, I was barefoot and it was outside. I was like, “Wait a minute, are we finally going to do this?” It was a great experience. It was one of my favorite episodes to do.

I'd prefer him to just wear regular street clothes but have yellow in almost every outfit in some way.
Like he just has a fondness for the color.
Sometimes a yellow shirt and sometimes much less, like the yellow lining of his hoodie in the trailer.
Just always kind of there.

Something like this would be ideal:

yellowshirt.jpg

The outfit, not the model, obviously.
:up:

Last edited:
Ah, so their homage to the 70's outfit comes from the experiment they did on him. Clever.

You can see the inner lining of his hoodie is a bright yellow. That's the other homage to his costume.

Basically, his hoodie is his cape and cowl for the show.

Costume is on. From the link I previously posted. Heres Mike:

"I'll say it this way. The writers have been very clever and very on point with the way they allowed this to be grounded in realism [while] paying homage to the comic book and what comic book fans know to be their world. We're trying to bring it to the screen. I think we're going to satisfy everyone. We're not going to give them exactly what they want, but I think everyone will be ecstatic about what we're willing to do for them. We know what side our bread is buttered on. To try and not give the fans what they want would be a mistake;, that being said, it's going to be a unique way of delivering it. But they're going to get what they want eventually."

His costume is merely coming in the form of the hoodie that has the bright yellow in it. Or the way he comes out of the experiment with the bracelets and headband, which were shackles from the tank, but they come out as visual references to his costume from the comics.

Yep. Misty Knight in flares and platform shoes too, and everyone with big collars and afros.

They should've gotten Lalo Schiffrin for the soundtrack. He could've composed something similar to Enter the Dragon.

Maybe that'd be a better fit for Iron Fist? Is Schifrin still working these days? He seems to be slowing down as of late. He is 84.

I wasn't even sure if he was still alive. They should get him if we do get a Power Man and Iron Fist combined season 2. But when do Marvel ever get these really iconic composers?

Silvestri did First Avenger and The Avengers. His Avengers score IMHO is still the single-best MCU score to date. But that's a little a off track here.

Schiffrin'S one of my all-time favourite composers - something like his EtD score would fit Iron Fist to T and make it so much cooler [if that's even possible].

In terms of Luke's costume, did anyone catch the nod to his old metal headband in the trailer? Could've sworn that the helmet Luke has on in the tank gets damaged and the remains of it look like the headband in that shot after he gets out. EDIT: ignore me - the nod [with the headband and gauntlets] is absolutely obvious - so of course you all caught it.

Last edited:
now the question is does he discard the headband and bracelets or does he keep them in hidden in a trunk as mementos?

Why didn't they have a chain belt for him to use too? Surely he can bring out the headband, bracelets and chain belt for an encore. Maybe for the Defenders? Enough of wearing this hoodie. I bet Iron Fist is going to probably just have a hoodie as well instead of his classic costume.

Why didn't they have a chain belt for him to use too? Surely he can bring out the headband, bracelets and chain belt for an encore. Maybe for the Defenders? Enough of wearing this hoodie. I bet Iron Fist is going to probably just have a hoodie as well instead of his classic costume.

I really am glad that they most likely aren't going to do as you say. The tiara stuff is outdated and needs to remain a thing of the 70s, only getting a nod as a minor easter egg like what was in the trailer. Luke's hoodie is perfect for someone who is going to be a community hero.

I don't see how this somehow informs Iron Fist's costume either.

I really am glad that they most likely aren't going to do as you say. The tiara stuff is outdated and needs to remain a thing of the 70s, only getting a nod as a minor easter egg like what was in the trailer. Luke's hoodie is perfect for someone who is going to be a community hero.

I don't see how this somehow informs Iron Fist's costume either.

Well let's face it, the Netflix shows aren't big on embracing the costumes. Daredevil didn't get his actual costume until the very end of the first season. Same thing for The Punisher.

Well let's face it, the Netflix shows aren't big on embracing the costumes. Daredevil didn't get his actual costume until the very end of the first season. Same thing for The Punisher.

Having to wait an entire season for a suit doesn't equate to not using the suit at all. Sure we had to wait 13 episodes for Daredevil's suit, but he did end up getting it and using it throughout Season 2. Unfortunately, we'll probably have Danny Rand in his hobo gear for a good chunk of Iron Fist, but that doesn't mean he won't get a costume and just have a hoodie (particularily with Dark Raven's implication that it's related to Luke not getting a costume as well, which is something that doesn't fit his character and is heavily outdated).

Jeph Loeb's line of thinking is most likely having the first seasons be the origins of the characters, and by the end embracing their comic personas, with the Defenders having them suited up.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, we got some take on the suit in Daredevil. I certainly wouldn't call it the most authentic version.

I think they can get away a bit more with the Power Man outfit than they claim. The key is that, even in the comics, it was acknowledged as cheesy. The whole point was superheroes wore costumes so, if he wanted to be a superhero for hire, he had to come up with a cheesy costume to sell the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"