Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Yeah I don't think people here really consider Aldrich Killian as the Mandarin.

Then they're absolutely dead wrong.
It's not a matter of interpretation; Shane Black said outright that Killian is The Mandarin. Those who do not like, must learn to deal.

Given that Pearce was Killian/Mandarin, I doubt they are going to use him for Daredevil.

Normally I'm not in favor of that sort of thing either but as he is probably the most forgettable villain I've seen in a marvel film plus the fact that he'd be such a perfect fit I could accept it in this case. Hopefully marvel sees it too.

If Daredevil is going to be a part of the MCU, there is no way Guy Pearce is going to play Daredevil.

Also, I think they would go a bit younger for Daredevil.

no ones brought up the fact that theoretically he can change his appearance with extremis, next movie he might look asian lol

I loved the fact that they made Killian the Mandarin. They did it because it would relate to the General Movie Fan, and not just to the Readers of the Comic book, Instead of just bringing in a Super power Martial Artist with Mystical powers and magical ten rings, out of nowhere........

Remember this is a Post Avengers World, The Superheros and Shield have revealed themselves and saved the World, now it is time for the Villians to come out of the shadows.....Killian the Mandarin is only one of the first to do so.

Then they're absolutely dead wrong.
It's not a matter of interpretation; Shane Black said outright that Killian is The Mandarin. Those who do not like, must learn to deal.

True , but I can judge marvel harshly for it and lament all the lost opportunity as well as wait for positive confirmation for the next Marvel film before I see it. I'm just one person so it won't matter but that's all I really can do.

I loved the fact that they made Killian the Mandarin. They did it because it would relate to the General Movie Fan, and not just to the Readers of the Comic book, Instead of just bringing in a Super power Martial Artist with Mystical powers and magical ten rings, out of nowhere........

Remember this is a Post Avengers World, The Superheros and Shield have revealed themselves and saved the World, now it is time for the Villians to come out of the shadows.....Killian the Mandarin is only one of the first to do so.

Which is why I hope Killian survived. I think he's a good enough villainous alpha that he could stand as the harbinger of a new era, when those with the will to grasp for godhood have the potential to take it, and the world. . .

Pierce was the Mandarin, and he did a great job. A final fight scene with Ben would have been weak! Even with rings. I don't think Feige planned on using Mandarin in future films ala Red Skull and Loki, so I'm totally fine with using the twist to parlay a clever, contemporary allegory on our perceptions of terrorists, and 'faces' of evil. I thought it was much better than the half-assed twist in TDKR.

no ones brought up the fact that theoretically he can change his appearance with extremis, next movie he might look asian lol

Except that the "true" Mandarin(Killian) is dead, lol.

Pierce was the Mandarin, and he did a great job. A final fight scene with Ben would have been weak! Even with rings. I don't think Feige planned on using Mandarin in future films ala Red Skull and Loki, so I'm totally fine with using the twist to parlay a clever, contemporary allegory on our perceptions of terrorists, and 'faces' of evil. I thought it was much better than the half-assed twist in TDKR.

Hrm....what? When a director has to twist around the canon from a previous film to make it work, that's call half-assing it. At least TDKR didn't do such with the LoS.

Hrm....what? When a director has to twist around the canon from a previous film to make it work, that's call half-assing it. At least TDKR didn't do such with the LoS.

Except Black didn't twist around the canon.:whatever: I assume your talking about the Ten Rings organization, but in no way was it altered throughout the films. It was a terrorist organization in 1,2 and 3. At no point in IM 1 or 2 did Favreau say the Mandarin was behind them, and at no point in 3 did Black say Killian(Mandarin) was behind them.

The allegory left me cold.

That final fight scene was polarizing for me and my son. He loved it as much as any Marvel fight and I hated it. I was waiting the whole film for Tony to really get to do hi s Iron man stuff and this wasn't it.

The closest to being Iron man was the plane sequence and he wasn't even in the suit.

The allegory left me cold.

That final fight scene was polarizing for me and my son. He loved it as much as any Marvel fight and I hated it. I was waiting the whole film for Tony to really get to do hi s Iron man stuff and this wasn't it.

The closest to being Iron man was the plane sequence and he wasn't even in the suit.

Um....yes....yes, he was.
Who do you think fried Coldplay Coldblood there? Or, you know, played Barrel O' Monkeys with a planeload of parachute-less passengers in midair?

You sure you actually saw the movie....? :huh:

Except Black didn't twist around the canon.:whatever: I assume your talking about the Ten Rings organization, but in no way was it altered throughout the films. It was a terrorist organization in 1,2 and 3. At no point in IM 1 or 2 did Favreau say the Mandarin was behind them, and at no point in 3 did Black say Killian(Mandarin) was behind them.

Of course I'm talking about the canon of the Ten Rings in the films, and yes, Black altered them. In IM3, we are shown a video of at least the first Extremis accident in 2009, so that would take away what the first film had the viewer believe where the Ten Rings terrorist group was an actual terrorist group that ransacked villages. Instead, Killian created such a terrorist organization once his first bad Extremis patient died, and that was created in 2009, or around the first mistake at least and there was no such actual terrorist group that ransacked villages as shown in the first film.

Who do you think fried Coldplay Coldblood there? Or, you know, played Barrel O' Monkeys with a planeload of parachute-less passengers in midair?

.......and immediately after it shows him in a van wearing a VR helmet thingy. He wasn't physically in the suit, although he was controlling it.

Did you?

Because of his Extremis-based powers there is a definite possibility that Killian survived. Prior to his being blown up by Pepper, we saw him regenerate after Tony encased him in the Mark 42 armor and destroyed it. Before that, Pepper had survived being dropped 200 feet into a burning dock. Savin had healed after being caught in Taggert's fatal explosion as well as from wounds he received while fighting Tony in Tennessee. Therefore there is no reason why Killian's survival would be absolutely out of the question, given his powers. Also, Kevin Feige stated that we will see Extremis in other films, which may or may not involve Killian's resurrection.

Because of his Extremis-based powers there is a definite possibility that Killian survived. Prior to his being blown up by Pepper, we saw him regenerate after Tony encased him in the Mark 42 armor and destroyed it. Before that, Pepper had survived being dropped 200 feet into a burning dock. Savin had healed after being caught in Taggert's fatal explosion as well as from wounds he received while fighting Tony in Tennessee. Therefore there is no reason why Killian's survival would be absolutely out of the question, given his powers. Also, Kevin Feige stated that we will see Extremis in other films, which may or may not involve Killian's resurrection.

Well my reply stemmed from a poster suggesting that Extremis could change the Mandarin's look, BUT....if what you're suggesting is true, then damnit. Let alone the Mandarin twist, but Extremis itself was something that I didn't like how it was portrayed and it's rather sometimes inconsistency. So much for the idea that the Extremis plot will be gone :csad:

Killian was a much better villain than Kingsley's Mandarin would've been anyway. Kingsley was just a Osama bin Laden copy and one of the least interesting villains (that is: if he actually was a super villain) I've seen in a CBM.

I can understand that lots of people are disappointed. I've never read the Iron Man comics so I didn't care too much. But I will sure as hell be angry if Green Goblin will be a transformed monster in TASM2, so I get what you guys are saying. But for me, Kingsley's Mandarin was a boring cliché so I was very happy it ended up the way it did.

I admire that they took a risk, but for me it really backfired on them. Is the heavy comedic tone going to be in all future MCU Movies now?

Killian was a much better villain than Kingsley's Mandarin would've been anyway. Kingsley was just a Osama bin Laden copy and one of the least interesting villains (that is: if he actually was a super villain) I've seen in a CBM.

I can understand that lots of people are disappointed. I've never read the Iron Man comics so I didn't care too much. But I will sure as hell be angry if Green Goblin will be a transformed monster in TASM2, so I get what you guys are saying. But for me, Kingsley's Mandarin was a boring cliché so I was very happy it ended up the way it did.

The bold is what made me actually enjoy Kingsley's Mandarin from the jump. An actual terrorist that feels more real than what we saw in Nolan's trilogy like Ra's, Talia, Bane and the LoS because it wasn't some actual ninja clan, or the continuation of such ninja clan but actual terrorism that feels like the real world....then it all goes into shambles. I would've loved to see an IM3 without Killian and without Extremis. Use Ghost that wipes out all technology for the Ten Rings as they run havoc in the United States and most of the armors are wipe out except the Mark I where Stark has to use that junky armor against the Ten Rings and finally, Kingsley's Mandarin :up:

But, if not that even, there is one article that had a "What If?" storyline that I really liked as well where they actually bring in magic and Mandarin has ten magic rings. That sounded better than what we actually got as well.

I admire that they took a risk, but for me it really backfired on them. Is the heavy comedic tone going to be in all future MCU Movies now?

I definitely hope not.

Not necessarily, but of the 12 MCU announced movies (both past and future) from Iron Man to Ant-Man, 9 of them have directors who have helmed features with comedic tones. Favreau, Branagh, Whedon, Black, the Russos, Gunn, and Wright all have infused certain levels of humor in their past projects, but I would chalk up the "heavy" comedic tone to Black's script more than any type of studio-led direction for the MCU.

After Iron Man 3 I'm not so sure that Marvel/Disney could do a better job at handling the other properties. If they're meant to do justice to the comics then why did they change the mandarin into a complete joke?

After Iron Man 3 I'm not so sure that Marvel/Disney could do a better job at handling the other properties. If they're meant to do justice to the comics then why did they change the mandarin into a complete joke?
Pretty sure it's been explained over and over for the past nearly two months now by IM3-supporters. I would look back at their responses as well as some of the interviews that Shane Black and Drew Pearce have done where they mention the twist.

Not necessarily, but of the 12 MCU announced movies (both past and future) from Iron Man to Ant-Man, 9 of them have directors who have helmed features with comedic tones. Favreau, Branagh, Whedon, Black, the Russos, Gunn, and Wright all have infused certain levels of humor in their past projects, but I would chalk up the "heavy" comedic tone to Black's script more than any type of studio-led direction for the MCU.

Plus personally speaking, I love that the Marvel films are shying away from being 100% all grim and serious. I like seeing levity in comic book movies, the Nolan stuff burned me out of the grimngritty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"