Iron Man IRON MAN Is Cast!!

That statement couldn't be more wrong for so many reasons.

1. You say 30 and up, but I think 30 - 35 would of been perfect. RDJ is in his mid 40's

2. Super Hero movies are usually Trilogy that take 3 years in between movies which means when the last movie comes out RDJ would be 50

3. Tony Stark was not 40 years old when he became Iron Man.

I usually don't care about the age of an actor, but when It comes to Super Hero movies I do especially when they are playing a character who is 10 + years younger than they are.

Don't get me wrong RDJ did a great job in here and he is an amazing actor, but his age was very obvious and I can only picture what he will look like when he's filming his third movie as Stark.

PS: No Franchise should take after 007 I hate the idea of changing actors all the time unless the last one just sucked at the role. All the constant actor change ever achieves is a bunch of idiotic arguments over who was best.

The novel said Stark was 35, I don't know why they didn't mention it in the movie.

The next movie is supposed to stark filming next year, and the Avengers movie a short time after that, which judging by Favs comments is supposed to round out his IM triology, Downey Jr will still be under 45.

This entire post is just plain wrong. Couldn't be more wrong. Insanely wrong.

1. I'm no IM fanboi, but RDJ's age wasn't even close to being a factor. Anyone who says it is is just trying to win an argument.

2. You know better than the entire James Bond franchise? (laughs uncontrollably then gains composure) Riiiiiight. Changing bonds hasn't hurt Bond in the least, and in fact, has helped bring more sophistication and detail to the character. The only Bond I didnt care for was Brosnan, but even he was passable.

3. In the comics, Stark always looked middle-aged. The beard, the hair cut, the way he talked - he wasn't some young buck - he was middle-aged. In fact RDJ might look TOO young - but I thought he was perfect for the role.

So yeah, I'd say a lot of us disagree with your logic there.

You're right Stark did look middle aged after 20 yeas of the comic running however this is an origin story. Ignore the facts all you want personally I don't care. Iron Man was good RDJ is an amazingly gifted actor, but at the end of the day a little old for this role which is ok for now, but in 6 years it's gonna be a joke.

Maybe you're right maybe we should invite Ian Mckellen to be the next Batman.

Sounds like someone's been "stupified" a few too many times...

You're right Stark did look middle aged after 20 yeas of the comic running however this is an origin story. Ignore the facts all you want personally I don't care. Iron Man was good RDJ is an amazingly gifted actor, but at the end of the day a little old for this role which is ok for now, but in 6 years it's gonna be a joke.

Maybe you're right maybe we should invite Ian Mckellen to be the next Batman.
And who would you have cast? Come on and put your money where your mouth is. Who should have been cast?

Man, going after RDJ is like dissing Reeves as Superman to alot of people. I say if he did an awesome turn as the character and raked in mountains of cash, whats the point? Criticising it now is like trying to point out a flaw in a daimond. Is it really worth it?

It's interesting to read back near the beginning of the thread when a lot of peo IOple were ripping the choice of Downey as Stark. He owned the role and was arguably the best part of the film. I'm sure a lot of the doubters were very surprised.

I can honestly say, if I was Robert Downey Jr., or any other actor cast to play a superhero for that matter, I would put it in my contract, I get to keep the suit. I would think it's only fair. Plus then you get to suit up again anytime you want.

First time posting on this particular thread, but I wanted to pipe in after having waded through 15+ pages on RDJ as Iron Man.

I remember when the announcement came out that he was playing Tony Stark. I really had no idea who Tony Stark or IM was, other than he was a MU character, and rich or something. I just thought he was a rip-off of Bruce Wayne, and thus, I totally wasn't interested in any movie about IM. However . . . when I heard RDJ was cast as Tony, and that The Favereau was directing this sucker, I changed my mind real fast. I've always thought RDJ was a fantastic actor, from Chaplin to A Scanner Darkly to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Plus, he was generally a bright spot in his 80's, early 90's movies. So, hearing him headlining a potential blockbuster pretty much sealed the deal that I'd be seeing this sucker in the theater on opening weekend at some point, despite my lack of enthusiasm for the character.

Needless to say, I'm now a die-hard fan of Tony Stark, due in part to RDJ's take on the guy. I thought he looked around 35-40 y.o., and completely believable as a sarcastic, arrogant, immature, womanizing playboy with a future substance addiction problem. And, believe me . . . it is definitely believable that RDJ pulled off playing a ladies' man without a hitch. I think I heard that the percentage of females in IM's audience has increased on a day-by-day basis.

For the record, I'm a 30 y.o. who's currently reading Extremis and Execute Program, IM: Director of SHIELD, the recent Invincible Iron Man series, IM: Viva Las Vegas, Civil War and Armor Wars. Oh, and I'm a chick too. Who's probably gonna be seeing IM again . . . for the third time this weekend. But that's more because I really don't wanna see any other new movie until Indy 4 comes out.

When I heard that RDJ was cast as Stark, I really love the decision because he is such a fine actor. However, I can understand that there were some resistence from the fan community due to his past problems, but thankfully he has straighten his acts, and Iron Man came at a perfect time for him. I just hope he will continue his good behaviors and give us several more IM sequels, because right now I can't imagine anyone else for the role of Tony Stark.

First time posting on this particular thread, but I wanted to pipe in after having waded through 15+ pages on RDJ as Iron Man.

I remember when the announcement came out that he was playing Tony Stark. I really had no idea who Tony Stark or IM was, other than he was a MU character, and rich or something. I just thought he was a rip-off of Bruce Wayne, and thus, I totally wasn't interested in any movie about IM. However . . . when I heard RDJ was cast as Tony, and that The Favereau was directing this sucker, I changed my mind real fast. I've always thought RDJ was a fantastic actor, from Chaplin to A Scanner Darkly to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Plus, he was generally a bright spot in his 80's, early 90's movies. So, hearing him headlining a potential blockbuster pretty much sealed the deal that I'd be seeing this sucker in the theater on opening weekend at some point, despite my lack of enthusiasm for the character.

Needless to say, I'm now a die-hard fan of Tony Stark, due in part to RDJ's take on the guy. I thought he looked around 35-40 y.o., and completely believable as a sarcastic, arrogant, immature, womanizing playboy with a future substance addiction problem. And, believe me . . . it is definitely believable that RDJ pulled off playing a ladies' man without a hitch. I think I heard that the percentage of females in IM's audience has increased on a day-by-day basis.

For the record, I'm a 30 y.o. who's currently reading Extremis and Execute Program, IM: Director of SHIELD, the recent Invincible Iron Man series, IM: Viva Las Vegas, Civil War and Armor Wars. Oh, and I'm a chick too. Who's probably gonna be seeing IM again . . . for the third time this weekend. But that's more because I really don't wanna see any other new movie until Indy 4 comes out.

Favereau directing was something that made you want to watch this? True that he ended up doing a great job, but based on his resume there was nothing indicating that he would. This is the same guy that gave us Elf and Zathura.

Favereau directing was something that made you want to watch this? True that he ended up doing a great job, but based on his resume there was nothing indicating that he would. This is the same guy that gave us Elf and Zathura.

Beg your pardon, but Favreau has a lot of mileage with me, as Swingers (writer) is one of my favorite movies, Made was better than many people made it out be (IMO), and Elf, while not a great movie, served its purpose and entertained me and my mom, who just likes dorky comedies and movies. We also thought Zathura was pretty good too. Honestly, I like him as an actor, and behind the scenes, I thought he was somewhat underrated, and just needed the right project to show what he could do.

Primarily, when I heard Favreau was attached, and the more I read up about Tony Stark's character, I kinda thought he'd find a way to work in a "Swingers" type vibe into a blockbuster. It intrigued me, and I'm really glad he impressed people.

Beg your pardon, but Favreau has a lot of mileage with me, as Swingers (writer) is one of my favorite movies, Made was better than many people made it out be (IMO), and Elf, while not a great movie, served its purpose and entertained me and my mom, who just likes dorky comedies and movies. We also thought Zathura was pretty good too. Honestly, I like him as an actor, and behind the scenes, I thought he was somewhat underrated, and just needed the right project to show what he could do.

Primarily, when I heard Favreau was attached, and the more I read up about Tony Stark's character, I kinda thought he'd find a way to work in a "Swingers" type vibe into a blockbuster. It intrigued me, and I'm really glad he impressed people.

He ended up impressing me, but when I first found out I thought Iron Man was gonna be one of the worst comic movies to date. I mean I'm not exactly alone when it comes to thinking Elf and Zathura were terrible. Swingers was ok, but I certainly wouldn't consider it great and it's not exactly a movie you would watch and think "that guy needs to work on a Super Hero Flick"

I mean I'm not exactly alone when it comes to thinking Elf and Zathura were terrible. Swingers was ok, but I certainly wouldn't consider it great and it's not exactly a movie you would watch and think "that guy needs to work on a Super Hero Flick"

Eh . . . mileages vary and all that. Like I said, I loved his writing/acting on Swingers, Made, in my opinion was underrated, and we'll agree to disagree of Elf and Zathura--out of all the "Will-Ferrell-does-a-kid-movie" movies, Elf is pretty darn good! It's a fine kid's movie, and a good holiday movie, and I've got fond memories of watching it over Christmas with my mom (we do a mini-movie marathon with that, Christmas Story, and Christmas Vacation whenever I visit my family). Like I said, I thought it served its purpose for what he wanted it to do, and managed to cast the thing well.

More than anything, I was merely wanting Favreau to find a project that he might excel at and show people what he was capable of. Looks like he did that with IM.

Cheers!

Elf was a very good movie for its genre and was well-received by critics, too. Swingers was great, and Made was good. I didn't see Zathura, but even though it bombed, it got decent reviews. Jon Favereau's always been a solid filmmaker. It's not like he was Tim Story or Mark Steven Johnson before this or something.

I didn't see Zathura, but I loved Elf. And I'd still like you to answer my question from a few posts back...

Mal'Akai to Stupify_me said:
And who would you have cast? Come on and put your money where your mouth is. Who should have been cast?

I didn't see Zathura, but I loved Elf. And I'd still like you to answer my question from a few posts back...

Wow I completely missed that question. Honestly that's kind of an unfair question. The people who cast these movies get paid to go through hundreds of names and pick who they think is best. Not only do I not know every single actor out there I am also not getting the money to throw weeks in to to work of picking somebody. The studios spend months thinking about this and going through the process. You hand me a check and I'll give you a list of my top 5.

I guess I'll name somebody I might consider, but this is in no way me saying this person is best just an off of the top of my head thing.

Viggo Mortison

Wow I completely missed that question. Honestly that's kind of an unfair question. The people who cast these movies get paid to go through hundreds of names and pick who they think is best. Not only do I not know every single actor out there I am also not getting the money to throw weeks in to to work of picking somebody. The studios spend months thinking about this and going through the process. You hand me a check and I'll give you a list of my top 5.

I guess I'll name somebody I might consider, but this is in no way me saying this person is best just an off of the top of my head thing.

Viggo Mortison
Well, you just shot your argument that Downey was too old so a franchise squarely in the foot. Downey was born April 4 1965, this would make him 43. Viggo was born, October 20, 1958, this would make him 49 now, and 50 by years end. Now, why not try again. You said RDJ was too old for a franchise, so, who would have been an actor that fit your age requirements for a franchise/origin story?

when RDJ was cast as Tony Stark it was a definately a surprise because i thought they were looking for someone younger. but he did a fantastic job as Tony Stark and i can't think of anyone who could've done it even better. I don't think age should be a concern because he looks like he's in great shape.

"Yellow one's don't stop"
:huh:.

Holy ****! viggo mortensen is almost 50? :wow:

Well, you just shot your argument that Downey was too old so a franchise squarely in the foot. Downey was born April 4 1965, this would make him 43. Viggo was born, October 20, 1958, this would make him 49 now, and 50 by years end. Now, why not try again. You said RDJ was too old for a franchise, so, who would have been an actor that fit your age requirements for a franchise/origin story?

I guess you need to learn to read. I AM NOT GETTING PAID TO CAST THIS MOVIE. I also don't have a huge list of actors in front of me.

Also just to lay this out there how sad is it that RDJ is 7 years younger than Viggo and yet people think he is older. People are shocked to hear Viggo's age if they didn't already know. Nobody is all that shocked when they hear RDJ's.

The next movie is supposed to stark filming next year, and the Avengers movie a short time after that, which judging by Favs comments is supposed to round out his IM triology

So there's only gonna be TWO Iron Man movies and an Avengers movie and then no more Iron Man? :csad:.

Man, going after RDJ is like dissing Reeves as Superman to alot of people.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. It's Reeve. George Reeves, Christopher Reeve.

I can honestly say, if I was Robert Downey Jr., or any other actor cast to play a superhero for that matter, I would put it in my contract, I get to keep the suit. I would think it's only fair. Plus then you get to suit up again anytime you want.

I doubt it. I'm sure he needed a whole lotta people to help him put on that suit.

I really don't wanna see any other new movie until Indy 4 comes out.

Me neither.

I like [Favreau] as an actor

He's the only one who could have ever played Foggy Nelson. Pity the rest of that movie was such crap.

It's not like he was Tim Story or Mark Steven Johnson before this or something.

Better hope MSJ doesn't read that. You'll make him cry.

The next movie is supposed to stark filming next year, and the Avengers movie a short time after that, which judging by Favs comments is supposed to round out his IM triology, Downey Jr will still be under 45.

I hope that isn't the case because I'm getting the impression that Captain America is going to be the focal character in the Avengers. And there is still a story to tell past the alcoholism as far as the solo Iron Man franchise is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"