Iron Man Script Review

TheVileOne said:
And the script review seemed to get across how bad this idea was pretty clearly.

What part of "I think it's a bad idea too" don't you understand? I agree that it's not a good idea to make Howard Stark into War Machine. I just think that it's not bad BECAUSE it was in the Hulk movie, which is what you seemed to be hinting at in your first thing about it. It would be a bad idea even if the Hulk movie didn't exist.

Mr. Magoo said:
What part of "I think it's a bad idea too" don't you understand? I agree that it's not a good idea to make Howard Stark into War Machine. I just think that it's not bad BECAUSE it was in the Hulk movie, which is what you seemed to be hinting at in your first thing about it. It would be a bad idea even if the Hulk movie didn't exist.
People are just going to see it as The Hulk all over again. People generally were disappointed with The Hulk.

And its not applicable at all to Iron Man at all since Howard Stark is not nor has he ever been an Iron Man villain.

The Mandarin needs to be in the goddamn movie. But I doubt he ever will because the makers would ***** out because Mandarin is chinese,and it may seem racist. great villain though.

Howard Stark better not be the villian.

But this isn't the script being used for the movie right?

Apparently not.

However, there is no assurance they aren't going to scrap Howard Stark vs. Tony Stark completely.

Sabretooth said:
The Mandarin needs to be in the goddamn movie. But I doubt he ever will because the makers would ***** out because Mandarin is chinese,and it may seem racist. great villain though.

If Mandarin were ever to be the villain of the film, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in my opinion would be the right choice. And I agree, he is a great villain.

Cary-Hiroyuki_Tagawa.jpg

mandarin.jpg

haha damn straight..... always thought of him as the perfect mandarin...glad to see i wasnt the only one

Okay, here's an alternate idea to the father/son thing, that would at least make things more interesting.

Howard Stark is not a VILLIAN, per se. He's, at this time, the head of Stark Industries, while his son, Tony, is, while brilliant, wasting away in the balchlor life. After Tony finds out that he has a brain tumor (yes, I'd take from both 616 and Ultimate), Tony shapes up and decides to start working under his father in the company, so that Tony will be ready to take over Stark Industries when his father is gone.

Tony finds out that his father is working on a top-secret military battlesuit, which at that time, has seemed to hit a dead end. Tony, while kind-of iffy on not knowing who exactly they're building it for and for what purpose, still goes through with it, and builds the prototype of what will become the Iron Man costume.

Afterwards, Starks Industries makes a big demonstration about it, to get the press hungry for more. Tony is confused by this, since while Starks was always a big name, Howard has never made such a spectacle about it.

But, dieaster strikes when the demonstration is hijacked by heavily and advancely armed terrorists. Tony, knowing all the processes of the suit, takes control of it and stops them.

Eventually, we find out that the Iron Man suit was originally going to go to a militant North Korean group, headed by the enigmatic Mandarin. He has spies within the US government, who has been pulling the strings of Starks Industries. Mandarin's agents feed Howard a bulls**t story that Tony is actually working for the Mandarin, and sends Howard off the deep-end.

Enraged by the fact that his son is a traitor, him and Mandarin's agents go after "Iron Man," now a wanted man because of the story. Howard uses the schmatics under Stark's name to try and malfunction the suit, and finally, at the brink of his misdirected madness, creates his own version of the Iron Man suit--"The War Machine." Howard uses the suit, dispite the fact that, while he's pretty good shape for a guy his age, it still affects his heart.

Tony does his best to defend himself from his father. Tony doesn't want to hurt him, so he only defends. Eventually, Howard realizes that he's been played like a string, Howard uses the suit as a distraction while Tony goes after Mandarin.

Anyway, villian destroyed, Iron Man triumphs...but for Howard, it's a suicide run. Howard, stupid with rage and stubborness, damn near takes out the entire fleed of Mandarin agents before his heart gives away completely. Tony is there for Howard's last moments, when he apologizes for what has happened, and passes away.

Tony takes over the company, we find out that he sent the War Machine to storage (where it could be taken for future use in a sequel).

It's a rough story, but I think with some kickass action sequences, good writing, and great actors, that would make a awesome f**kin' movie.

I don't think Iron Man would translate well on film but more than likely if it is ever made I will see it.

Nebins said:
I don't think Iron Man would translate well on film but more than likely if it is ever made I will see it.

I don't understand why not. He's the most "science fictiony" of all the Marvel heroes. I don't see how it's easier to believe in superpowered mutations than in a hi-tech suit of armor, when such things actually have a basis in reality.

I understand where you're coming from. Irion Man is probably the most "realistic" of the Marvel heroes but I just don't see it. It's probably because I have never really been a huge Iron Man fan but I just don't see it adapting to film well. I have no real reason for this, it's just an oppinion.

Batman said:
If Mandarin were ever to be the villain of the film, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in my opinion would be the right choice. And I agree, he is a great villain.

Cary-Hiroyuki_Tagawa.jpg

mandarin.jpg
NOW YOU'RE TALKING

MaskedManJRK said:
Okay, here's an alternate idea to the father/son thing, that would at least make things more interesting.

Howard Stark is not a VILLIAN, per se. He's, at this time, the head of Stark Industries, while his son, Tony, is, while brilliant, wasting away in the balchlor life. After Tony finds out that he has a brain tumor (yes, I'd take from both 616 and Ultimate), Tony shapes up and decides to start working under his father in the company, so that Tony will be ready to take over Stark Industries when his father is gone.

Tony finds out that his father is working on a top-secret military battlesuit, which at that time, has seemed to hit a dead end. Tony, while kind-of iffy on not knowing who exactly they're building it for and for what purpose, still goes through with it, and builds the prototype of what will become the Iron Man costume.

Afterwards, Starks Industries makes a big demonstration about it, to get the press hungry for more. Tony is confused by this, since while Starks was always a big name, Howard has never made such a spectacle about it.

But, dieaster strikes when the demonstration is hijacked by heavily and advancely armed terrorists. Tony, knowing all the processes of the suit, takes control of it and stops them.

Eventually, we find out that the Iron Man suit was originally going to go to a militant North Korean group, headed by the enigmatic Mandarin. He has spies within the US government, who has been pulling the strings of Starks Industries. Mandarin's agents feed Howard a bulls**t story that Tony is actually working for the Mandarin, and sends Howard off the deep-end.

Enraged by the fact that his son is a traitor, him and Mandarin's agents go after "Iron Man," now a wanted man because of the story. Howard uses the schmatics under Stark's name to try and malfunction the suit, and finally, at the brink of his misdirected madness, creates his own version of the Iron Man suit--"The War Machine." Howard uses the suit, dispite the fact that, while he's pretty good shape for a guy his age, it still affects his heart.

Tony does his best to defend himself from his father. Tony doesn't want to hurt him, so he only defends. Eventually, Howard realizes that he's been played like a string, Howard uses the suit as a distraction while Tony goes after Mandarin.

Anyway, villian destroyed, Iron Man triumphs...but for Howard, it's a suicide run. Howard, stupid with rage and stubborness, damn near takes out the entire fleed of Mandarin agents before his heart gives away completely. Tony is there for Howard's last moments, when he apologizes for what has happened, and passes away.

Tony takes over the company, we find out that he sent the War Machine to storage (where it could be taken for future use in a sequel).

It's a rough story, but I think with some kickass action sequences, good writing, and great actors, that would make a awesome f**kin' movie.
thiswould make a very good novel if not a movie

This probably won't work the way we'd all like it to.
Too many people would watch the movie thinking they saw all of this in ROBOCOP.
The villan has to be the Mandarin.
Tony has to be a genius playboy.
His father has to be around to run the company that Tony will eventually inherit and run with all of the problems that brings.
Even though the Father was never in the comic for most of it's run, without the Korean War/Vietnam conflict tie-in, you'd have a hard time bringing in the Mandarin, and it would be hard to believe Tony could build this company by himself as a young man, even as a tech-boom multi-millionaire. He'd have to be in his late forties to work all of that out with all of it's twists and turns-successful entrprenuer, playboy turning alcoholic, etc. He doesn't need a tumor (what a crappy prop) when developing alcoholism is more insidious in itself.
His father is the tie to the past mythos.And he'd have to be a FATHER, not a VILLIAN of any kind. (OK, he'd have to be a bit hard on the boy.)
That movie suit would have to be so awesome that it would make you forget about ROBOCOP. (Sorry, but that's the image I keep seeing.)
KISS (Keep It Simple and Serious)

ScriptZone said:

These guys really need to read the ORIGINAL Iron-Man stories.
He wasn't originally a Vietnam Vet.
He was an arms manufacturer (I think) that got captured and interned in a POW camp during the Korean War. Remember, many of Marvels characters came on the scene in the EARLY '60's. Long before anyone started using the Vietnam War as a backdrop to any stories.
Most of the Marvel story lines came out of the social consciousness of the early 1960's. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were products of the post-WWII and Korea War era. (OK, Jack was older and probably was more a product of the WWII years.) His WWII comics were only surpassed by Joe Kubert's which are masterpieces IMHO.
However you look at these 'scripts', they still aren't worth the trouble of putting them on film if you keep forgetting the original ideas and story lines that made them so popular in the first place. Spiderman worked because almost ALL of the original story line and plots were skillfully included. The only raw spot in the movie was the obvious substitution of Mary Jane Watson for Gwen Stacy. It worked in the movie, but geez, I would have loved to see Gwen again.

Howard Stark shouldn't be a major character in the movies at all. His role should be about as big as Thomas Wayne's was in Batman Begins.

TheVileOne said:
Howard Stark shouldn't be a major character in the movies at all. His role should be about as big as Thomas Wayne's was in Batman Begins.

:up: Exactly.

3dman27 said:
thiswould make a very good novel if not a movie

Hmm, I'm trying to get a novel published, myself, so...

*saves idea for later*

:o

TheVileOne said:

Because, of course, Iron Man is exactly like Batman. :o

I honestly don't see the problem. If presented in a slightly different way, it could make for an interesting movie.

What did you think of my idea for it, TVO?

MaskedManJRK said:
Because, of course, Iron Man is exactly like Batman. :o

Not really, its just a point of comparison. You don't make Thomas Wayne into RA'S AL GHUL.

I honestly don't see the problem. If presented in a slightly different way, it could make for an interesting movie.

What did you think of my idea for it, TVO?

No offense, but it doesn't work at all. You make it so Howard Stark is manipulated but isn't truly bad. It's still stupid.

Howard Stark isn't like that. And if the movie ends with a Howard Stark War Machine vs. Iron Man, I am definitely not paying to see this.

Howard Stark was an upstanding corporate industrialist that was trying to get his son to take things more seriously and to stop being immature and to buck up. And its tragic because he dies before Tony makes this change.

Howard Stark vs. Tony Stark, its just unfathomable, why? Howard Stark was never the bad, evil father and he was never War Machine. Turning Howard Stark into War Machine will be as stupid as turning Bruce Banner's father into Absorbing Man.

TheVileOne said:
No offense, but it doesn't work at all. You make it so Howard Stark is manipulated but isn't truly bad. It's still stupid.

Howard Stark isn't like that. And if the movie ends with a Howard Stark War Machine vs. Iron Man, I am definitely not paying to see this.

Howard Stark was an upstanding corporate industrialist that was trying to get his son to take things more seriously and to stop being immature and to buck up. And its tragic because he dies before Tony makes this change.

Howard Stark vs. Tony Stark, its just unfathomable, why? Howard Stark was never the bad, evil father and he was never War Machine. Turning Howard Stark into War Machine will be as stupid as turning Bruce Banner's father into Absorbing Man.

Ra's al Ghul was never Batman's mentor, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

Lucious Fox never worked alongside Thomas Wayne, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

James Gordon wasn't there to consol a young Bruce Wayne, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

Bruce Wayne never tried to kill the man who murdered his parents, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

And that's just Batman Begins.

I'm just saying that while it's not how it went in the comics, it doesn't mean it won't make a good story.

MaskedManJRK said:
Ra's al Ghul was never Batman's mentor, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

Lucious Fox never worked alongside Thomas Wayne, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

It's not much of a stretch. They have this odd, close relationship in the comic. One could argue even though he's an adversary he's a surrogate father type to Bruce.

James Gordon wasn't there to consol a young Bruce Wayne, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

Once again, it's not much of a stretch. This is not a radical and stupid deviation.

Bruce Wayne never tried to kill the man who murdered his parents, didn't see anyone b***h at that.

Batman did find the man who killed his parents. When he revealed who he was, the man had a heart attack and died.

I'm just saying that while it's not how it went in the comics, it doesn't mean it won't make a good story.

This does NOT make a good story. It's just a bad rehash of the Hulk movie which was a huge disappointment.

And if you don't like the HONEST answer I gave to your idea, you shouldn't have asked for my honest opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"