Iron Man 2 Ironman 2 Best Picture Oscar ?

Even with 10 slots availiable... no, it still won't be nominated.

Fanboys mentioning Kick-Ass makes me chuckle. I enjoyed that film for what it was but the plot is horribly moronic and the tone was all over the place. Small time film for small time tastes IMO. Maybe if I were still in high school, it would have appealed to me more?

What a condescending thing to say. I'm a University graduate, with an Honors degree in Film Studies too, yet I loved Kick Ass. I liked Iron Man 2 as well, but Kick Ass was easily the superior film. I think Empire (my most trusted review source) got it about bang-on when they gave Iron Man 2 ***/***** and Kick Ass the full *****/*****.

I don't want to play the "bash one film to praise the other film" that people feel the need to resort to in the endless TDK/IM debates, as I liked both movies. But Iron Man 2 was an efficient, tick-all-the-boxes summer blockbuster that I enjoyed, but have already forgotten. Kick Ass was a riot, a cinematic adrenaline shot of pure fun that I instantly wanted to go see again (I did go see it a second time) and now I eagerly await the DVD release. Do I think it'll get nominated for an Oscar? No chance, it's the kind of movie that sticks the middle finger up to awards prestige. But it'll probably still be better than half the films that ARE nominated.

I'm not biased, I'm not looking to tear down Marvel or whatever. I was looking forward to Iron Man 2 a lot more than I was looking forward to Kick Ass. I didn't even like the Kick Ass comic. But Kick Ass was just the better film.

The first one might have got it with the ten slots. This one, no.

I agree with Keyser Soze. IM2 was na very good and enjoyable film but to be honest, imo it is regreatbly forgettable. I'm a marvel head through and through and no character tops spider-man for me but I felt the rami movies were garbage. IM was fantastic and I felt is more memorabe than its sequel. Kickass beats IM2 any day of the week simply because it was a much better executed film. With regards to the OP, no IM2 will not come anywhere near getting an oscar nod for best picture. If the first one didn't, there's no way IM2 will. Not by a long shot.

I agree with Keyser Soze. IM2 was na very good and enjoyable film but to be honest, imo it is regreatbly forgettable. I'm a marvel head through and through and no character tops spider-man for me but I felt the rami movies were garbage. IM was fantastic and I felt is more memorabe than its sequel. Kickass beats IM2 any day of the week simply because it was a much better executed film. With regards to the OP, no IM2 will not come anywhere near getting an oscar nod for best picture. If the first one didn't, there's no way IM2 will. Not by a long shot.

Thanks for the back-up, Ajendo. But looking back, topdog1 was the guy who insulted my entire country because of a few bad UK reviews. It would seem that he is determined the film is going to be GREAT, and will lash out at anyone who suggests otherwise.

Really keyser?
Seems like those over the top fans that refuse to be told otherwise...nothing more obnoxious.

What a condescending thing to say. I'm a University graduate, with an Honors degree in Film Studies too, yet I loved Kick Ass. I liked Iron Man 2 as well, but Kick Ass was easily the superior film.

Well Ewe Boll went to the University of Cologne and the University of Siegen and holds a doctorate in literature. Just saying...

I'm glad you enjoyed both films.

As much as I'd want it to sweep the Oscars, it won't even get nominated.

Hopefully it'll get nominated for sfx.

Iron Man 2 isn't going to get an Oscar nod. That's the way it is. Unless there are no good movies this year... which i possible...

And stop mentioning Kick Ass, that's not getting a nod for anything. Not even in the golden globes... The movie wasn't that great.

And neither is IM2...The difference is Kick-Ass isn't trying to be taken seriously, IM2 is. Sure, IM2 is a very entertaining movie, but it has just as little a chance at an Oscar as Kick-Ass.

Well Ewe Boll went to the University of Cologne and the University of Siegen and holds a doctorate in literature. Just saying...

I'm glad you enjoyed both films.

Oh yeah, people with University degrees can be idiots too. Though on the flip side, I've talked to high school students with a maturity and a respect for opposing opinions that you never seemed to grasp.

Look, everyone knows you're a Marvel homer, veering on blind acolyte levels of devotion. But not everybody is going to hail Iron Man 2 as the second coming, a cinematic masterpiece of sheer perfection. You lash out at every negative review and find excuse after excuse - they're secret DC fans trying to sabotage Marvel, they have an agenda against the film because it's a blockbuster and they're trying to bring it down, the whole of the United Kingdom is clueless - in increasingly desperate attempts to preserve the aura of greatness around a film you presumably haven't even seen yet. But maybe instead of trying to attack and demean anyone who criticises the film and trying to find ways of discrediting them and calling them stupid, you should be looking at the recurring flaws that keep getting mentioned over and over, and wondering whether all these people saying the same thing might have a point.

How can the awards people keep overlooking this part? RDJr as Tony Stark is now the stuff of legend. Think Pacino as Michael Corleone.

Wow, I've read a lot of hyperbole around here in my time, but comparing RDJ as Tony Stark to Al Pacino as Michael Corleone takes the cake:dry:

This would have to be an extremely poor year film wise for IM2 to be nominated. And that's not because it's a superhero film or a popcorn film or any other such type of film the academy apparently refuse to nominate due to bias, it's because it's simply not good enough. Not to say it's a bad movie, just not Oscar worthy

The thing that really bothered with Batman Begins keeps happening again and again, each time a new superhero flick hits the screens (except the fact that TDK really deserved a nomination for best picture).

Iron Man 2 is an average movie, no more, no less and should to be considered as an honest and entertaining flick but not as a potential oscar winner. Period.

Last edited:
I don't think Kick-Ass and especially Iron Man 2 deserve a best picture nom.

They were not that good, IMO.

I think The Dark Knight is the only superhero film that was seriously deserving of a Best Picture nomination. So much so, that the backlash against it being snubbed led to this whole "10 nominees" thing they've got going now.

I think The Dark Knight is the only superhero film that was seriously deserving of a Best Picture nomination. So much so, that the backlash against it being snubbed led to this whole "10 nominees" thing they've got going now.

Yes, that is TDK's Academy legacy -- for good or bad. Personally I think it's a bad thing. When stuff like The Blind Side is getting nominated, it cheapens the prestige of the award IMHO. The only good that came of it last year was that Pixar finally got their deserved nomination. That being said, I won't be surprised if they go back down to 5 within the next 10 years or so.

But if Avatar can get a nom, so can IM2.

laughing1.jpg

How is it a dumb question ? It is an annual question. Even the Wolverine origins board had this question. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"