The Amazing Spider-Man Is anyone else mad at sony?!

Perhaps Webb and Sony decided they wanted Dr. Ratha back in a sequel. Maybe, MAYBE, his fate wasn't important to the central story?

So a character who is Connors boss and is responsible for pushing him to become that monster as well as Peter's transformation indirectly, he doesn't matter at all huh :whatever:

Face it, after they cut out his sewer death scene Sony saw no reason to spend money to patch up that plothole with ANY resolution. Ratha was important enough for Lizzy to attack but not important enough to know if he lived or died, got it.

No resolution to this also creates a giant plothole where Connors can run around OsCorp without anyone questioning him or the giant Lizard which relates to his reseach big time.

As far as other editing mistakes, Peter has a magic vanishing backpack as well but that isnt a big deal to me.

Last edited:
think a lot of people read movie reviews and hear terms like "over edited" and "pacing issues" and latch on to them without really knowing how they apply or what it means to have those. They just become terms that are thrown around to sound like they are film experts.

Agreed.

The movie has some minor pacing issues, but they're part of a deliberate attempt to create a sense of urgency and energy in the film's origin sequences. Its apparent in the writing, not just the editing.

So a character who is Connors boss and is responsible for pushing him to become that monster as well as Peter's transformation indirectly, he doesn't matter at all huh :whatever:
We SEE the conclusion of that. Connors becomes the monster, and STOPS Dr. Ratha. Then he moves on from that to bigger things -- as his mind becomes more and more corrupted by the Lizard DNA.

Ratha's purpose was to show what Connors was up against as a decent man in a corrupt company run by powerful, unethical men. It was to highlight what not only Connors was up against, but what Richard Parker had been up against as well.

Ratha wasn't as important as you are making him out -- hell, his name wasn't even given in the film. The receptionist says it quickly over the phone, nearly inaudibly when Connors is asking about his wearabouts right before he enters the cab.

Face it, after they cut out his sewer death scene Sony saw no reason to spend money to patch up that plothole with ANY resolution. Ratha was important enough for Lizzy to attack but not important enough to know if he lived or died, got it.

Ratha didn't NEED more resolution. He wanted to do a deplorable thing: secretly administer the OO Vaccine to unsuspecting people. Connors, as the Lizard, stopped him from doing so. That's all we need. He's been stopped. The stuff in the deleted sewer scene doesn't matter because there was nothing in the film that sets it up to the point where we miss it... If it weren't in the marketing material -- you'd be none the wiser.

As far as other editing mistakes, Peter has a magic vanishing backpack as well but that isnt a big deal to me.
Not particularly.

He doesn't have it for the scene with Gwen, when he tells her on the roof that he's Spider-man. Then he jumps off the roof, straight down. We cut to the bridge, then to Captain Stacy leaving his building, then to the bridge and Peter arrives with the back pack.

What stopped him from when he dropped down to land on the same fire escape he entered Gwen's room from, and grab the pack? Something that unimportant doesn't need to be seen.

Same thing in the school. After the fight, he runs to the bathroom and sees Connors' lab coat. We don't see him go directly into the sewer. Nothing stopped him (while the film cuts to the students and EMT's outside of the school) from going into the hall and grabbing his pack.

-R

Agreed.

The movie has some minor pacing issues, but they're part of a deliberate attempt to create a sense of urgency and energy in the film's origin sequences. Its apparent in the writing, not just the editing.

That and Marc Webb came out and said that was intentional on his part. So that's the style he wanted to go for. Whether you like the style or not is a different issue

I'm not sure there are any editing problems, but again the whole issue of horrible pacing is in the eye of the beholder. It depends on whether you were personally bored during certain scenes or whether the film went by quickly for you because you were interested. I think if someone cited an example of the horrible pacing those who liked it would still disagree because they would argue that the pacing was good or compelling. By the same token, saying to someone that "the film was good enough as is" or that "this would have made the film better" is again from a subjective standpoint.

The reality of the situation is , as far as films go, people can look at the same thing and react to it in very different ways . It doesn't mean one side is wrong or right , it just means some will like it and some won't. This is a forum so , if you're in expecting everyone is gonna like or hate something you do , you're in for a surprise.

The first person point of view shots were so chopped up in editing that they didn't work at all. Could've been great to see in 3D.

You guys can call every example people come up with as nitpicking, but there are quite a few nits to pick. Doesn't mean it isnt a good movie with a great cast.

Last edited:
Yes I am really mad at sony as well and not letting Mark do his own thing.For me the thing that pisses me off about sony more than anything else is you just got to believe its THEM who keep on insisting that spider-man gets unmasked all the time.That was the one thing that hacked me off besides not including the wrestling scene is they are still unmasking him all the time.

I cant understand why marvel films cant get the rights from them like they have with the other marvel comicbook characters.:cmad: After all spidey is their most famous creation and he is THEIR creation so I just dont get it why they dont file a lawsuit against them.I remember once upon a time when The Green Goblin was the only one that knew his identity and thats what made him so dangerous.Those good old days are clearly over with.:cmad:

I don't know why the first person perspective shot from the teaser was so chopped up. It was epic when I first saw it, and in the final cut it wasn't really a big deal. There should have been one long first person POV shot of him swinging for at least 20-30 seconds in the film. Maybe for the final swing. Sigh.

Honestly in my opinion Sony made a good call, this isn't Marc Webbs story to screw with. I understand the BS about the "Spider-God" in the comics, but I think Spider-Man should just be a random occurrence. Having him be genetically altered really ruins a lot of the story. Webb should have freedom and should be allowed to do his own thing, but he needs to respect iconic characters and their backgrounds.

Honestly in my opinion Sony made a good call, this isn't Marc Webbs story to screw with. I understand the BS about the "Spider-God" in the comics, but I think Spider-Man should just be a random occurrence. Having him be genetically altered really ruins a lot of the story. Webb should have freedom and should be allowed to do his own thing, but he needs to respect iconic characters and their backgrounds.

I know the genetically altered spider really ruins a lot of the story.Like i said,sure dont understand why Stan and marvel studios dont sue sony to get the rights for spider-man and let Webb have the freedom to do his own thing.:cmad:

I know the genetically altered spider really ruins a lot of the story.Like i said,sure dont understand why Stan and marvel studios dont sue sony to get the rights for spider-man and let Webb have the freedom to do his own thing.:cmad:

they could sue...and not have a foot to stand on and have to give Sony a lot of money and extend the rights

Marc Webb did not write the story. In fact Sony had this script drafted up at the same time that Raimi was working on SM4, so you can basically say that Sony almost screwed up the origin and then pulled it out of the fire at the last minute.

The scene in the movie where Connors tells Peter that no subjects have survived, was clearly meant to tie in with the storyline of Peter's parents genetically modifying him, but works well enough in the sense that Peter was somehow a random mutation that could survive the process and the results won't be able to be duplicated.

I'm glad they didn't keep the genetically altered Peter storyline in the movie, since it's basically a rip-off of Hulk (2003).

Hows that when its their creation and Stans?:huh:

they legally and contractually gave the rights to Sony. Sony has a binding contract. In what universe does wanting their creation back over rule a binding contract???

they legally and contractually gave the rights to Sony. Sony has a binding contract. In what universe does wanting their creation back over rule a binding contract???

Especially when the president of production for Marvel, Kevin Feige, has been a producer on every spider-man flick since 2002. I have no clue why some people think Marvel has nothing to do with these movies and just sits in a corner twiddling their thumbs waiting for Sony to be done.

Especially when the president of production for Marvel, Kevin Feige, has been a producer on every spider-man flick since 2002. I have no clue why some people think Marvel has nothing to do with these movies and just sits in a corner twiddling their thumbs waiting for Sony to be done.

its easier for their small minds to think of it that way...instead of realizing that Sony and Marvel are in a partnership on the Spider-man films

its easier for their small minds to think of it that way...instead of realizing that Sony and Marvel are in a partnership on the Spider-man films

And Feige has said as much. That they'd love to have all of their properties back under their umbrella and some contracts have hard dates on which they'll get them back and others they know they won't be getting back any time soon but they have great partnerships with Fox and Sony. Keyword "partnerships." Anything Marvel's name is attached to, they have some input, it'd be foolish business for them not to.

I think a lot of people read movie reviews and hear terms like "over edited" and "pacing issues" and latch on to them without really knowing how they apply or what it means to have those. They just become terms that are thrown around to sound like they are film experts.

Because one of the things that The Amazing Spider-man didn't have much of, was pacing problems.

-R
You can easily tell that the movie was edited and chopped up. It has plot lines that just get dropped and you see it. It feels unpolished. The pacing from the first half in comparison to the second half of the movie is not consistent. It has major editing issues.

I think a lot of people read movie reviews and hear terms like "over edited" and "pacing issues" and latch on to them without really knowing how they apply or what it means to have those. They just become terms that are thrown around to sound like they are film experts.

Because one of the things that The Amazing Spider-man didn't have much of, was pacing problems.

-R

I have a bachelors degree in film and I can tell you this movie was chopped and slashed

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"