Superman Returns Is anyone else worried about the lack of flying shots ?

superkong 500

Sidekick
Reaction score
Okay this is for some a minor detail and I trust singer in terms of storytelling,but lets face it action is not his strong area and yes in the trailer they showed a bit of the AP sequence and supes flying towards it looked pretty good but really nothing spectacular. I know what you may say, we don't want to see the best shots before the movie,and honestly I feel the same, but still they could show us atleast two seconds of a cool flying shot or sequence the tv spot showed some good stuff but again nothing about the flying.Yes the story is the most important thing but we know what the story is already,and really I am starting to get worried about the flying a bit, I mean its supe's most spectacular power and the thing he will most do in the movie,so why not show us a little bit of flying eye candy just to maintain us full until the main course.Anyway I hope that there's a second spot soon with some good ol flying in it, just a littlebit to raise the excitement bar. What do you guys think?

I thought one of the flying rescue sequences is 20 minutes!?

I was worried about the action sequences/flying being too long actually.

I was worried because of the lack of flying in the trailers and teasers as well. We hardly seen him flying at all...:rolleyes:

Nivek said:
I was worried because of the lack of flying in the trailers and teasers as well. We hardly seen him flying at all...:rolleyes:

I don't know were your sarcasm comes from because actually we really haven't seen that much of the flying in the trailer or in the tv spot.

superkong 500 said:
Okay this is for some a minor detail and I trust singer in terms of storytelling,but lets face it action is not his strong area and yes in the trailer they showed a bit of the AP sequence and supes flying towards it looked pretty good but really nothing spectacular. I know what you may say, we don't want to see the best shots before the movie,and honestly I feel the same, but still they could show us atleast two seconds of a cool flying shot or sequence the tv spot showed some good stuff but again nothing about the flying.Yes the story is the most important thing but we know what the story is already,and really I am starting to get worried about the flying a bit, I mean its supe's most spectacular power and the thing he will most do in the movie,so why not show us a little bit of flying eye candy just to maintain us full until the main course.Anyway I hope that there's a second spot soon with some good ol flying in it, just a littlebit to raise the excitement bar. What do you guys think?

There will be plenty of flying. I'd be worried more at the lack of Routh speaking in the trailers. I just hope that that's not a sign of his acting abilities, or lack of. I'm probably completley wrong, I hope I am, but it's no less paranoid than a lack of flying in the trailers.

edit: I just watched the trailer and Routh talks fine. I don't know what I was thinking. Probably some idiotic thing I read on AICN. Routh will be fine and he will fly a lot. I think this movie is going to be great.

hmmm....

....from the theatrical trailer we have the first shot from behind Superman looking down on Earth, the shot of him jumping across the cornfield, him whizzing by the camera while following the smoke from the plane, him flying beside the buildings while people look up at him, him after Jimmy takes a picture, him turning to face the camera with the cars behind/under him, him flying above the planet, him with Lois in front of the Daily Planet globe, him with Lois and the city in the background, him flying teary eyed, the obvious CGI flight shot, Supes flying through a window, another of him flying through the room of the window he just crashed through, him Super-stomp to the ground in front of Lex Luthor, and the whole scene with him and the plane...

...yeah, i'm DEFINITELY worried about the lack of flying shots, hehe.

Not at all. Its obvious they are trying to save the best for the Movie

I'm worried about how badly Routh and the CG Superman will look in the flying shots from what we've seen. I really hope that CG was a work in progress and we only saw pre-production.

The flying in Superman 1977 is grainy and static given todays standards but Christopher Reeve (who used his experience as a glider pilot) really made it very graceful.

CW-STM-rocketcatch.gif

CW-STM-cityarrival.gif

It's amazing what he pulled off without CG. Somehow I think SR will all be fast Singer action shots and we won't have any slow beautiful arcing choreography like this.

DorkyFresh said:
hmmm....

....from the theatrical trailer...

...yeah, i'm DEFINITELY worried about the lack of flying shots, hehe.

Nice account!

I am worried too. By the lack of green in this movie. There were only 3 green shots - the PG-13 warning, the corn fields and the Kryptonite cylinder...

I love green. Teh movie is teh suxxors! :D

Okay guys you clearly got my all wrong, I didn't say that there weren't enough flying shots,or that there wouldn't be in the movie, what I meant was that there weren't enough of those spectacular flying shots, I mean supes breaking the window and flying past the camera in a flashy blur and him landing on NK,those aren't really great flying shots, those are just quick glimpses but nothing great not by a longshot if you know what I mean.

superkong 500 said:
Okay guys you clearly got my all wrong, I didn't say that there weren't enough flying shots,

Um, it's YOU that clearly has it wrong. If you look at your friggin subject line, you ask if people are worried about the lack of flying shots. Lack of flying shots = not enough flying shots.

Quit trying to spin it around after people have proved you wrong in your assessment that there aren't enough of Superman flying around. :down

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Um, it's YOU that clearly has it wrong. If you look at your friggin subject line, you ask if people are worried about the lack of flying shots. Lack of flying shots = not enough flying shots.

Quit trying to spin it around after people have proved you wrong in your assessment that there aren't enough of Superman flying around. :down

Okay I didn't explained it the right way but now you know what I meant.
and btw Iam not criticizing in anyway the trailer or the tv spot, Iam just expressing an opinion.

Spare-Flair said:
I'm worried about how badly Routh and the CG Superman will look in the flying shots from what we've seen. I really hope that CG was a work in progress and we only saw pre-production.

The flying in Superman 1977 is grainy and static given todays standards but Christopher Reeve (who used his experience as a glider pilot) really made it very graceful.

CW-STM-rocketcatch.gif

CW-STM-cityarrival.gif

It's amazing what he pulled off without CG. Somehow I think SR will all be fast Singer action shots and we won't have any slow beautiful arcing choreography like this.

Man i love how Reeve is so graceful in that first gif. How he kinda slides from a 45 degree angle to an upright position. So smooth.
Im not really worried about the flying.. Im sure itll be spectacular.

No.

Wait. What are you saying again? N/m. My answer is still probably "no." :)

I'm not worried,there was plenty of good looking flying shots contained in the trailer and TV spot IMO

superkong 500 said:
Okay I didn't explained it the right way but now you know what I meant.
and btw Iam not criticizing in anyway the trailer or the tv spot, Iam just expressing an opinion.

In that case, I'm not worried. You always give the audience just too little so that they want more, that way it's a surprise and you're not giving them everything already to where nothing in the movie is better than what they've already seen in trailers/teasers, if that makes any sense.

Plus the flying shots I have seen have impressed me already mostly, except the CGI ones. I wish they would have made a promise to never render Superman. It should always be Routh.

Man that reeve flying looks like a peice of crap.

^Those aren't flying shots its just superman floating in the air:p

SolidSnakeMGS said:
In that case, I'm not worried. You always give the audience just too little so that they want more, that way it's a surprise and you're not giving them everything already to where nothing in the movie is better than what they've already seen in trailers/teasers, if that makes any sense.

Plus the flying shots I have seen have impressed me already mostly, except the CGI ones. I wish they would have made a promise to never render Superman. It should always be Routh.

The problem is that there are some shots that can't be done with wirework so they have to use cgi,but really I hope that they use wirework as much as possible.

Shut up, come on now.... Threre's plenty of flying and it looks good.. and. they're saving the spectacular stuff for later of course....

What's more imporatant is that X3's getting pretty bad marks in reviews so far....

That must make Singer happy.

explode7 said:
Man that reeve flying looks like a peice of crap.

Please elaborate otherwise I'll just assume you are on some kind of illegal narcotic :)

Okay I should have said in comparison to what you have seen recently like in the Matrix and stuff sorry dude :up:

i disagree reeve looked good in those shots and for that time period it was really good work

Spare-Flair said:

CW-STM-rocketcatch.gif

CW-STM-cityarrival.gif

THe blogs showed that they were working on slow graceful flying shots during previs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"