Is George Lucas a scumbag?

Angry Sentinel said:
tomato/ tamoto...

scumbucket = businessman, if 'fans' had any sense they would recongnize that they are the ones with the power and start demanding that they be treated better by refusing to buy such garbage. Business used to pretend to respect the consumer right up until the point where it realized it doesn't have to anymore.

there ya go :up:

kainedamo said:
I faked my own death. I sensed it was only a matter of time before they banned me permenantly, so I wanted to go out on my terms and not theirs.
Are you seriously this lame?

I still have the original on VCR and it works perfectly, so Mr.Lucas can shove them up his culo.

redmarvel said:
He's not a scumbag. He's out to make a profit and doing it the best way he knows how to.
I love Capitalism. I love people smart enough to strategically set out to make a profit. But you are wrong. He is totally a scumbag because of his lies. The guy is a compulsive liar to a disturbing degree.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I love Capitalism. I love people smart enough to strategically set out to make a profit. But you are wrong. He is totally a scumbag because of his lies. The guy is a compulsive liar to a disturbing degree.

Yeah, it's the lying BS that gets me, not the selling of various versions.

I would have bought both the 'new' remastered set as well as the original theatrical release anyway, but all that nonsense about 'never releasing them again because they were 'incomplete' and didn't match Lucas' vision blah blah blah... ' :down

kainedamo said:
I have just read the news that George Lucas plans to release the unaltered original Star Wars trilogy. I am glad that we will get to see the original unaltered movies again, however, George Lucas should have done this a long time ago. He should have done it when he released the special editions on DVD.

No. George Lucas, time and time again, takes advantage of the large fandom that Star Wars has. He has taken this beloved, very American franchise, an American heritage even, and he has continued to rape it again and again for every single penny/dime he can get out of it. He told us we would never see the original unaltered SW trilogy again!! Many people that would have held out for the unaltered versions felt like they had no other choice but to get the "special" editions. And now, alot of those same people will fork out their money for the unaltered trilogy.

It's been, what, decades since people have legally watched the unaltered original SW trilogy??? It's a disgrace! George Lucas has taken advantage of the love many people hold for SW. He took the original trilogy, edited it, put in "improvements", and told us that this is now the official version.

Never before, NEVER, has a director so massively raped his own fan base.
They're his movies. He can do what he wants with them.

Not a scum bag. Not really a film maker anymore either. Now a days he is just a business man. I suppose a sell out would be a fair way to describe him.

Daisy said:

I would have bought both the 'new' remastered set as well as the original theatrical release anyway, but all that nonsense about 'never releasing them again because they were 'incomplete' and didn't match Lucas' vision blah blah blah... ' :down

Is it really any different to a company that makes washing powder claiming that theirs make your whites as white as whites can be? we all know they will bring out a new, improved, "actually, we can make your whites whiter than white" powder the next year.

Daisy said:

He may very well have thought at one time that he would never release the originals on DVD, but after hearing all the fan out cry he probably could not resist the amount of cash he could make.

As far as him being a scumbag, well I think he is well aware of how tightly he has his fans wrapped around his fingure and how he can manipulate them and that would make him a scumbag. Again, it is my belief that he is just wishy washy, he changes his mind all the time. I would just call him untrustworthy and with knowing that I can still be a fan but just don't believe what he has to say.

Let's see I have bought:

Original VHS Version
THX Remastered VHS Version
Special Edition VHS Version
Special Edition DVD Version
and now THX Theatrical DVD Version

I don't mind giving Lucas $50 every few years to help him feed his starving family.

Strange said:
He may very well have thought at one time that he would never release the originals on DVD, but after hearing all the fan out cry he probably could not resist the amount of cash he could make.

As far as him being a scumbag, well I think he is well aware of how tightly he has his fans wrapped around his fingure and how he can manipulate them and that would make him a scumbag. Again, it is my belief that he is just wishy washy, he changes his mind all the time. I would just call him untrustworthy and with knowing that I can still be a fan but just don't believe what he has to say.

I think its more likely it was planned to release them from the start rather than any fan outcry. But I always said that they would come out on DVD at some point. I really cant fathom how anyone thought it would be different

logansoldcigar said:
Is it really any different to a company that makes washing powder claiming that theirs make your whites as white as whites can be? we all know they will bring out a new, improved, "actually, we can make your whites whiter than white" powder the next year.
this does get on my nerves.

i watched some adverts from the sixties and their washing up powders were apparently crazy bright.

i wonder how those old products would actually stand up in today's market

truth be told, i don't think they would differ by as much as advertising would suggest.

No, but if you believed the adverts we get today, whites must have been black in the 60s.

I wish I could live on his ranch. :( And kiss his throat. :(

logansoldcigar said:
No, but if you believed the adverts we get today, whites must have been black in the 60s.
those dirty people from the 60s...

i wanna go and spray fabreze on some old people now....

pffft..

firstly i don't know why people are buying their star wars dvds already....

since i was young enough to realise i knew there would be one day when he releases all six films together is some fantabulous box set.

that's the day i'm waiting for, you all might as well do the same.

well, old people do mostly smell of wee.
except the hypes C Lee, and the real Christopher Lee.

neither of those do. especially the real one. :)

Odin's Lapdog said:
firstly i don't know why people are buying their star wars dvds already....

since i was young enough to realise i knew there would be one day when he releases all six films together is some fantabulous box set.

that's the day i'm waiting for, you all might as well do the same.

Of coures we will be getting the new movies in HD format as well.:up:

this is like getting sevaral copies of the same book, je ne comprends pas

:confused:

this is like getting sevaral copies of the same book, je ne comprends pas

This is the way I see it. It's ethically wrong to alter a piece of art years after it's finished. A director's cut is fine, because that is the movie how the director intended a film to be seen. An unrated version is fine, because it's the movie with the stuff that couldn't make it added in. An extended edition, ala LOTR, that's fine because it includes alot of stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor and was all filmed with the movie. But to actually go back and alter the work??? That's a different matter entirely. To take the original version away, that's even worse. It's like 1984 style censorship.

what's wrong with touching something up?

a lot of the older films on dvd now have had their sound and picture qualities enhanced.

kainedamo said:
I hate Lucas.
kainedamo said:
I hate breast implants.
Smurf_Grouchy.jpg

Matt said:
Not a scum bag. Not really a film maker anymore either. Now a days he is just a business man. I suppose a sell out would be a fair way to describe him.
N.O. No.
You can be a sell-out without deliberately deceiving people. It isn't a case of "he changed his mind", because I'm seeing precedent in the past.
I bought some old Starlog magazines from the 80's a few weeks ago and was amazed to see in the old letters column, all of these people outraged over a George Lucas interview where he said that there was no truth to the "rumor" that ROTJ was originally going to be called "REVENGE" of the Jedi.
He said that that was never even a working title....and all of these people were pointing to their Revenge of the Jedi posters and talking about the early REVENGE of the Jedi teaser they'd watched in the theaters where they worked.
It's now common knowledge that it was first "REVENGE", but he was saying that that was never the title. What could he stand to gain from lying like that?
The only posibility I see is that his crazy pride wouldn't allow him to admit that it hadn't occurred to him that Jedi don't seek revenge, and in light of the fact that there was no way he could avoid being called on this, I say he's a mentally ill compulsive liar and a "scumbag".

a lot of the older films on dvd now have had their sound and picture qualities enhanced.

That is different. Alot of older movies needed picture and sound quality enhanced. Completely different and you know it.

Say they took the movie Labrynth (or however it's spelt) and added in some CGI trolls. That's an improvement??? I'd feel disgust, quite frankly, if that ever happened.

It's bad enough they have to remake every movie ever made without them going to the source material and actually altering it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"