Is the over reliance on humour a problem in the MCU

Agreed. If any movie in the MCU is the worst offender in the humour area, it's Thor 2.

Agree with that, but IM3 is up there with it IMO. The humour worked in the first half of the movie, it didn't in the 2nd for me.

See a lot of the jokes in IM 3 didn't land for me, and I didn't find them to be appropriate a lot of the time.

Nothing in IM3 landed for me but that's another story.

Except for Darcy and Co. in TDW, I've been fine with the humor but then I like both the MCU and the DCEU so I'm obviously some kind of mutant myself.

The MCU's use of humor is actually in keeping with a great tradition in Marvel Comics going back to the Stan Lee days in the very first Lee-written stories in the '60s. Stan Lee actually pioneered extensive use of humor and jokes in his stories, using more funny content than most comic books had used before. In addition to the humor being fun for Stan to write, the humor served a couple of purposes as well: 1) It helped relieve tension during more dramatic or threatening moments by injecting a much-needed dose of levity into a tense situation; and 2) It helped make Stan's heroes/protagonists more relatable and fun.

It seems that the MCU is following in Stan the Man's grand tradition.

Legit expected someone posted here today because of that line from Thor at the end of this Ragnarok trailer.

undersea telepathically paging Panacea

Did Winter Soldier and Jessica Jones have an overreliance on humor? If anything, the thing holding Agents of SHIELD back is that it takes itself too seriously.

To be fair MCU isnt over reliant on juvenile humour. They also love slapstick and manufactured humour too

I'd call it 'diversity'.

Nothing in IM3 landed for me but that's another story.

Except for Darcy and Co. in TDW, I've been fine with the humor but then I like both the MCU and the DCEU so I'm obviously some kind of mutant myself.

This captures exactly how I feel.

I find that far too many viewers lacking a sense of humor is a much bigger problem.

The MCU has a good sense of humor most of the time, but yes, I do think they flop occasionally. For example, I thought Doctor Strange was a really great film except for the scene where Strange teases Wong about Beyonce. Made me cringe. Same with when Wong finally laughed at the end of the film, although that wasn't quite as bad.

Jokes are good, but they have to be good jokes.

I think the problem I have without a lot of movies nowadays not just the MCU is just that they don't know when to put them. They don't know how to balance the humor with other elements

I'm all for a good laugh but there are ways to balance it, Guardians was hilarious but very little of the humor was misplaced or put at awkward times. The Star Trek reboots were fun, funny, and well balanced too. Or even more serious movies like Logan, Singer's X-Men, TDKT, the Craig Bond films balance

I don't think a lot of people are saying they don't want any jokes, it's more about joke placement and how its handled. I see people try and discredit by saying people have no sense of humor, "do you want everything grimdark?" or nonsense like that when for the most part that's not it at all.

Did Winter Soldier and Jessica Jones have an overreliance on humor? If anything, the thing holding Agents of SHIELD back is that it takes itself too seriously.

Winter soldier had some good humour it just felt natural. Compare that to aou where it felt forced. Yes you got a giggle but it didn't sit right.

Like you others have said, its about balance and placing the humor at the right moment. Don't have Thor's mom die and then 5 seconds later cut to wacky pantless antics from Stellan Skaarsgard, there's no need for Beyonce jokes when Doctor Strange is trying to learn magic, and there was no reason to have every other sentence out of Ultron's mouth be a quip. Balance.

Also, let's remember, Marvel's best, most iconic stories from the comics have always been its most serious and intense ones, the ones that put the hero through the ringer and have them overcome adversity and their own demons: Kraven's Last Hunt, Death of Gwen Stacy, Demon in a Bottle, Death of Captain America, pretty much all of Frank Miller and Brian Bendis' Daredevil comics, The Dark Phoenix Saga, the original Civil War, Annihilation, Ironman: Extremis, X:Men God Loves, Man Kills etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Like you others have said, its about balance and placing the humor at the right moment. Don't have Thor's mom die and then 5 seconds later cut to wacky pantless antics from Stellan Skaarsgard, there's no need for Beyonce jokes when Doctor Strange is trying to learn magic, and there was no reason to have every other sentence out of Ultron's mouth be a quip. Balance.

Also, let's remember, Marvel's best, most iconic stories from the comics have always been its most serious and intense ones, the ones that put the hero through the ringer and have them overcome adversity and their own demons: Kraven's Last Hunt, Death of Gwen Stacy, Demon in a Bottle, Death of Captain America, pretty much all of Frank Miller and Brian Bendis' Daredevil comics, The Dark Phoenix Saga, the original Civil War, Annihilation, Ironman: Extremis, X:Men God Loves, Man Kills etc. etc. etc.

Well said.

That Beyonce joke is there purely because of the mcu model...it doesnt show any sense of humour but rather the studio being insincere about the tone of the movie.

This, so much this, i am for humour in the movie, but have it in the right places, some of Marvels movies don't do this. Guardians has tons of humour in, but i never felt like it hampered the dramatic or emotional moments, the balance was mostly right there. TWS had a great balance between humour and drama. But then AOU and TDW come along and have a joke every 5 mins, it just gets tedious, especially upon re-watch.

Balance is the key. I thought Logan had some good humour and a good balance, but the humour never felt intrusive.

Just about all of the humor made me roll my eyes in Doctor Strange Im hoping they learned their lesson with Thor

AOU and TDW are really tough to re-watch because of all the (sometimes misplaced) jokes.
The Beyonce joke was unnecessary too in Dr. Strange...

Many times the MCU feels not serious enough. The story is very dramatic, but the heroes make jokes "all the time", as if nothing is really important what happens!!
(because the heroes will win anyway and the threat is no real challenge - so lets joke around a little bit)

Does not work for me (all the time).

I still like all the MCU movies - but a little less humor would not be bad.
Do not think, that the MCU would lose its drive..

Last edited:
A lot of Doctor Strange's humor didn't really land for me (although some of it did). It really felt like Marvel going "well we're Marvel and we're known for having a lot of comedy in our films, so we need it here to."

Even Strange's characterization felt that way at times. I don't remember him being that quippy or jokey in the comics. He always seemed more serious when I read him in stuff.

Even Strange's characterization felt that way at times. I don't remember him being that quippy or jokey in the comics. He always seemed more serious when I read him in stuff.

Same feeling here...
Therefore i wanted J. Phoenix...
But i love the movie "Dr. Strange" in general...

it works when it's appropriate I feel they went over the top with Ultron
such a waste

The answer to the question for me is yes. For instance, I like Doctor Strange but some of the humorous bits, although not horrible, felt crowbarred in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"