It's Clobbering Time! The Ben Grimm/ Thing moments we want to see in the MCU

Though Jennifer did slip a bit into the Uncanny Valley in the trailer - hairy, rougher, less human faces like Hulk and Thanos are probably easier to swallow - I'm thinking quite a few of those You Tube dislikes came from the same types who didn't care for Captain Marvel. The line about women always being angry and afraid wouldn't go down well with the He Man Women Haters that love to post online.

Yep. Absolutely. The closer you get to human, the more your brain says: “wait, that doesn’t look quite right”

And it’s really hard to fix, because you can’t even define what’s wrong.

Your brain, which is designed and experienced in reading the subtlest changes in human faces recognizes that something just isn’t quite the way it should be.

I grew up reading comic books. The CGI in the trailer looks 10 million times more “real” than any comic book I’ve ever read. As long as the story is good, my brain has the ability to immerse me even if the CGI is flawed.

Like it or not, here’s the reality:

“What’s our budget on this Inhuman’s series we’re planning?”

“Fifty million.”

“That’s not enough. The fans are screaming about the quality of the CGI in She-Hulk, and Inhumans is going to need way more CGI. We’re going to need $150 million to please these fans.”

“Yeah. Management will never approve that.”

“Of course not. Scratch Inhumans. We’ll do Dazzler instead.”

“Yep. Got it.”

In the real world, It’s not “Let’s just pull from this unlimited pile of money to make sure nobody has a problem with the most ambitious CGI character to ever appear on the small screen.”
Ever heard of HBO? Did you skip Game of Thrones altogether? Westworld? Your small screen comment doesn't work anymore in today's streaming world. $150 Million is just not a big deal these days. Have you heard how much Amazon's Lord of the Rings show cost?

Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ Costs $465 Million for Just Season 1 – The Hollywood Reporter

I get being supportive of Marvel Studios but this Disney Plus experiment is making them way too much money to pretend there is no unlimited pile of money for them to afford good CGI from.

I get you wanting more. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with saying: “I want better.” I can’t fault you for that, and I’m not one to blindly support Marvel.

But I can absolutely 100% guarantee you Disney will not be spending $465 million on any of their Disney + Marvel shows any time soon.

So if you want or expect that kind of production, you’re destined for disappointment.

And if She-Hulk looked as bad as Gorilla Grodd from the Flash, for instance, I’d say they should either improve or cancel.

But I can’t name a “human” in either a small screen or big screen effort that looks as good as She Hulk. Creating a human face with CGI is perhaps the most difficult task for a computer artist.

So based on what I’m seeing in the trailer, I’m okay.

I may change my mind after I’ve watched a full episode, but I expect it to look better, not worse, when we’re able to watch full scenes.

Last edited:
I just want to mention I have played some wonderful video games with facial expressions that look exactly human so I think it can be done. Ben is trickier than Jen though because his features don’t look exactly human but I’m sure they can get some Pixar animator in to make it look fantastic even in live action

I just want to mention I have played some wonderful video games with facial expressions that look exactly human so I think it can be done. Ben is trickier than Jen though because his features don’t look exactly human but I’m sure they can get some Pixar animator in to make it look fantastic even in live action

:up:

Ben will be a huge challenge to do as well
as I hope they can do, but I also think it’s a very different challenge from She Hulk.

His face will need to move in complex ways to convey emotion, and should do so in a way that the “rocks” don’t bend, but move in relation to their position with the rocks around them. I hope someone smarter than me can pull that off.

We have two examples - Korg and Ben from Fant4stic, and I hope the upcoming Ben is leaps and bounds better than either of those.

I have to grudgingly admit Fant4stic Ben had some promising moments. The design was absolutely terrible, but with that terrible design, there were moments in which he moved well and looked “real” (and also moments he didn’t). They weren’t very ambitious with his face and while it generally looked “real” it had limited expressions.

Korg is much more expressive, but also looks somewhat fake and cartoony to me. His textures also didn’t work as well as Fant4stic’s Ben to me.

As I touched on previously, She Hulk is a very different challenge because she has a human face. And while they don’t have to work with complicated mechanics, they need to convince our brains that it’s a real face. And since our brains are very attuned to human faces, those brain’s aren’t going to be fooled by CGI’s bull s***. I’ve never seen a video game that pulled it off, but video games aren’t my thing, so my knowledge is limited.

Last edited:
Here’s an example of why I think this will work better when we have longer scenes:

Whenever I see a “de-aged” character, my first response is “that’s not right”.

But as the scene goes on, I get used to it and accept it.

in this trailer, we’re getting a whole bunch of glimpses that are so short we get that initial feeling that it’s off, but we don’t have time to get used to it.

Once we have longer scenes, I believe we’ll
stop noticing it and accept it.

As I touched on previously, She Hulk is a very different challenge because she has a human face.
She-Hulk looks like they took the actress's face, stretched it some, and added a shade of green to it (the wrong shade IMO). Characters like the Thing, they would have to start from scratch.

When I first saw Korg on a trailer, for a moment I thought it was Ben. Seeing with my heart instead of my eyes.

She-Hulk looks like they took the actress's face, stretched it some, and added a shade of green to it (the wrong shade IMO). Characters like the Thing, they would have to start from scratch.

When I first saw Korg on a trailer, for a moment I thought it was Ben. Seeing with my heart instead of my eyes.

I really hope Ben looks MUCH better than Korg ot Fant4stic Ben.

Both of them look like they have just a bunch of rocks piled together.

Ben should look like he has a more regularly shaped rocky skin. He shouldn’t look like an animated pile of rocks.

But I’m afraid they may use a similar algorithm for Ben.

But I’m afraid they may use a similar algorithm for Ben.
I'm not saying they should actually do this, just thinking out loud here:
But it would be kind of interesting if they evolved his look over time, like they did in the comics. Where he started out lumpy, then got more rocky looking. But they want to get a good look, they can't afford to lose anybody because they don't like the way the Thing looks. How the movie goes will probably decide whether we get just one FF movie or maybe a trilogy. Myself, I'd like to see about 20 of them :)

Post-Rescue Rangers I'm even more convinced I want Rogen as Ben.

Rogen is in Rescue Rangers?

This fan made trailer makes a good argument for Liev as Ben Grimm:

Last edited:
That trailer reminds me of “Tony Stark built this in a cave.. with a box of scraps.”

And Josh Trank couldn’t do it with a full studio behind him.:funny:

Post-Rescue Rangers I'm even more convinced I want Rogen as Ben.

i just watched it too. Yeah i see what you mean, his voice work would fit The Thing. His character in Rescue Rangers is not his usual goofy voice. He sounds imposing, intimidating even. Between Rogen, Liev Schreiber, and Ron Perlman, I would be fine with any one of them as Ben. They all have distinctive voices and all (Green Hornet?) of them have experience playing comic book characters in an action movie capacity.

I'm okay with Rogen as the Thing, but I can't help but picture Ben Grimm smoking weed hanging out with Reed Richards in their college days.

Yes which doesn’t feel that out of canon honestly. Like, I could see that’s how Ben got into space travel in the first place. Listening to Reed explain planetary science with pink Floyd playing and their friend the devils lettuce in attendance

Pumbaa didn’t smoked weed…

Yes which doesn’t feel that out of canon honestly. Like, I could see that’s how Ben got into space travel in the first place. Listening to Reed explain planetary science with pink Floyd playing and their friend the devils lettuce in attendance
For some reason I can't see Seth Rogen passing astronaut training without ralphing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"