Far From Home Jake Gyllenhaal is...Mysterio?

Dunno if legit.
He burns to death in the lava puddle from the Fire elemental he created.
This better be just a ****ty rumor. I'm gonna be pissed if they kill off Mysterio in his first cinematic appearance, and in the MCU no less. If that happens, hopefully it's an illusion.

Perfection

18.jpg

It’s great they kept the globe but you know what’s just as cool? Keeping the cape. Mysterio should always have an extravagant cape

So what’s the verdict? Do ya’ll think this Mysterio actually has super powers, or is it all an illusion? Not sure how close they’re going to stick to the comic book version with this character.

I think he might have some kind of power somehow. I strongly suspect he's conjuring the elemental monsters himself, and they seem to cause real destruction.

I'm going to say that is all illusions.

We have so many characters with actual powers and ones that can already travel dimensions such as Dr Strange and Ant Man.

I really want to see a good deceitful and trippy Mysterio on screen like the early comics:

7f3c6b70dad9558aa5d313d5f11fdd77.jpg

I think he might have some kind of power somehow. I strongly suspect he's conjuring the elemental monsters himself, and they seem to cause real destruction.

Yeah I’m sure that he’s the one creating the monsters. But illusions can’t cause damage so I’m not sure how they could be doing the things they’re doing unless there’s some sort of supernatural power going on here. I guess they could be robots but that would have to be some seriously sophisticated technology. Though maybe he did what Toomes did and hijacked some Chitauri tech.

I don't think Mysterio himself will have any powers. He's somehow accomplishing this with some type of advanced tech, and maybe supernatural means he stumbled upon. But I don't think he will have any real abilities.

Guess we’ll see.

My other theory here is that Beck might actually be from another reality as he says, and he is a hero. But the Earth One version of him (or whatever they call Peter’s earth) is evil and while the good Mysterio ends up sacrificing himself at the end of the movie, the evil one survives to show up in another film.

So what’s the verdict? Do ya’ll think this Mysterio actually has super powers, or is it all an illusion? Not sure how close they’re going to stick to the comic book version with this character.

Middle ground. If I had to make a prediction now, I'd say that he's not actually a wizard, and that the overall scenario is a deception. However, not *everything* he does is a literal illusion. He is a genuine super-science gadgeteer, with his equipment genuinely producing effects like lasers and flight and such. He's just using various illusions and deceptions to make his powers *look* like wizardry, as well as to probably disguise that the magical elemental monsters are actually, whatever it is they actually are.

It's good to see that they are using Gyllenhaal's strengths. As an actor, he's best as a relatable but flawed character. He exudes this sort of reliability, so I'm glad to see they are going with that instead of a maniacal villain of mystery.

To those that are so aghast that he could die in this movie.. get over it. These aren't comic books that go into infinity. They are cinematic, closed stories. Two Face lasted a single day in TDK, and it worked great. Tons of other examples just like that. In movies, characters are best when used and lost. Maybe he'll survive. But if he dies, my only hope is that they use him well when they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. They want the Marvel money but not the commitment.

I think he's pulling a Booster Gold and is actually a loser from a different Earth but stole tech from his world and is trying to be a hero in ours.

I think he's pulling a Booster Gold and is actually a loser from a different Earth but stole tech from his world and is trying to be a hero in ours.

They set it up in the last Spider-Man movie that there’s a black market for alien weaponry. The Booster Gold theory sounds needlessly complicated to me.

A silly thing i'm kinda hoping for is for his voice to change when he puts the fishbowl helmet on. Not in the exact way Tony's voice changes with his ironman helmet on (robotic tinge added) but a kind of booming mystical voice effect. Though If there's no voice effect at all with the helmet on that would feel weird so I would settle for the same ironman voice effect over nothing.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jake-gyllenhaals-excitement-over-his-mysterio-costume-l-1830866389

We can thank Jake for the costume being as practical as possible and the character wearing it as much as possible.

In fact, Gyllenhaal’s excitement to wear the suit meant that ultimately not only was it kept as a practical costume for much of the film, but the character actually physically wears it in more scenes instead of wandering around in civilian clothes.

“We were just assuming—since we did end up building a fully practical costume—that [Gyllenhaal] wouldn’t want to spend time in it,” Carroll added. “We had said [to him], ‘You can just look cool. You can just look like a cool mercenary man. You can have your t-shirt on, leather jacket and jeans.’ And he was like, ‘Can I be in the costume? I really feel the character, I get it.’ So, not only is this costume practical, but [Mysterio] wears it everywhere it makes sense to wear it.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"