Jake Gyllenhaal is...Mysterio?

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' started by samsnee, May 21, 2018.

1. AndyTrevino This says a lot about our society

They better ****ing not.

2. AndyTrevino This says a lot about our society

This better be just a ****ty rumor. I'm gonna be pissed if they kill off Mysterio in his first cinematic appearance, and in the MCU no less. If that happens, hopefully it's an illusion.

3. Silvermoth Avenger

Apparently someone spotted a wedding ring on mysterio’s finger so there might also be a Missusterio

Quentin Beck and Nicko-Ray like this.
  4. #root Registered

His suit looks sooo good.

Nicko-Ray likes this.
  5. samsnee Ok

6. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Beyond perfect IMO.

Nicko-Ray likes this.
  7. Silvermoth Avenger

It’s great they kept the globe but you know what’s just as cool? Keeping the cape. Mysterio should always have an extravagant cape

8. Kane52630 XO USER

9. Kane52630 XO USER

10. Kane52630 XO USER

11. HotRodEconomist Registered

Ya. You don't get an actor like Jake Gylenhall to play a character in only 1 MCU movie.

12. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

So what’s the verdict? Do ya’ll think this Mysterio actually has super powers, or is it all an illusion? Not sure how close they’re going to stick to the comic book version with this character.

13. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I think he might have some kind of power somehow. I strongly suspect he's conjuring the elemental monsters himself, and they seem to cause real destruction.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  14. Quentin Beck The MCU does put a smile upon my face

I'm going to say that is all illusions.

We have so many characters with actual powers and ones that can already travel dimensions such as Dr Strange and Ant Man.

I really want to see a good deceitful and trippy Mysterio on screen like the early comics:

[​IMG]

15. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah I’m sure that he’s the one creating the monsters. But illusions can’t cause damage so I’m not sure how they could be doing the things they’re doing unless there’s some sort of supernatural power going on here. I guess they could be robots but that would have to be some seriously sophisticated technology. Though maybe he did what Toomes did and hijacked some Chitauri tech.

16. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I don't think Mysterio himself will have any powers. He's somehow accomplishing this with some type of advanced tech, and maybe supernatural means he stumbled upon. But I don't think he will have any real abilities.

17. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Guess we’ll see.

My other theory here is that Beck might actually be from another reality as he says, and he is a hero. But the Earth One version of him (or whatever they call Peter’s earth) is evil and while the good Mysterio ends up sacrificing himself at the end of the movie, the evil one survives to show up in another film.

Quentin Beck likes this.
  18. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Eh, I don't see it. I don't see a world where he isn't conning them somehow. Beck's going to be evil.

KRYPTON INC. and Nicko-Ray like this.
  19. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Middle ground. If I had to make a prediction now, I'd say that he's not actually a wizard, and that the overall scenario is a deception. However, not *everything* he does is a literal illusion. He is a genuine super-science gadgeteer, with his equipment genuinely producing effects like lasers and flight and such. He's just using various illusions and deceptions to make his powers *look* like wizardry, as well as to probably disguise that the magical elemental monsters are actually, whatever it is they actually are.

20. MaceB Registered

It's good to see that they are using Gyllenhaal's strengths. As an actor, he's best as a relatable but flawed character. He exudes this sort of reliability, so I'm glad to see they are going with that instead of a maniacal villain of mystery.

To those that are so aghast that he could die in this movie.. get over it. These aren't comic books that go into infinity. They are cinematic, closed stories. Two Face lasted a single day in TDK, and it worked great. Tons of other examples just like that. In movies, characters are best when used and lost. Maybe he'll survive. But if he dies, my only hope is that they use him well when they can.

#595 MaceB, May 7, 2019
    Last edited by moderator Spider-Fan: May 7, 2019
    Solaire likes this.
  21. Solaire Registered

Unless he only agreed to just do one movie. Some actors don’t wanna be in franchises.

22. samsnee Ok

Exactly. They want the Marvel money but not the commitment.

I think he's pulling a Booster Gold and is actually a loser from a different Earth but stole tech from his world and is trying to be a hero in ours.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  23. David H. We’re not owed anything.

They set it up in the last Spider-Man movie that there’s a black market for alien weaponry. The Booster Gold theory sounds needlessly complicated to me.

24. xenos5 Registered

A silly thing i'm kinda hoping for is for his voice to change when he puts the fishbowl helmet on. Not in the exact way Tony's voice changes with his ironman helmet on (robotic tinge added) but a kind of booming mystical voice effect. Though If there's no voice effect at all with the helmet on that would feel weird so I would settle for the same ironman voice effect over nothing.

ludovica likes this.
  25. samsnee Ok

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jake-gyllenhaals-excitement-over-his-mysterio-costume-l-1830866389

We can thank Jake for the costume being as practical as possible and the character wearing it as much as possible.