Far From Home Jake Gyllenhaal is...Mysterio?

BossLogic

Y2MQph1.jpg

L58kW4U.jpg

Why were you going to drop it?
22 movies in, it's an ideal point to end a journey, even moreso after knowing the villain they announced since the end of Phase 1 will finally be defeated.

I want them to fully embrace the costume.

YqP73qz.jpg

Yes :up:

The only thing I'd want added is an obnoxiously large collar covering about a quarter of the 'fish bowl'.

The cape for me is something they must get right & they must have. I can live without the spandex/tight fitting suit, but the cape & it's attachments must be there.

22 movies in, it's an ideal point to end a journey, even moreso after knowing the villain they announced since the end of Phase 1 will finally be defeated.

Can't say I'm in the same boat. Aside from Deadpool over at FOX, the MCU is the only consistently entertaining source of CBM's out there today.

DC might have a chance to pull me back in, but I'm not holding my breath.

I want them to fully embrace the costume.

YqP73qz.jpg

I hope it's something like this. All of the other designs in this thread are not working for me. I don't want him grounded in reality at all. Also don't change the shape of his helmet. It needs to be a very simple shape: a sphere. No motorbike-type helmets or astronaut helmets or anything military.

Can't say I'm in the same boat. Aside from Deadpool over at FOX, the MCU is the only consistently entertaining source of CBM's out there today.

DC might have a chance to pull me back in, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm dropping out of their competition as well.

I love this. It's the classic design but a bit tougher-looking. I'd also like some sort of weird face in the helmet.

I don't want a face there permanently. I think it should look blank and opaque and cloudy. At certain times a face could appear. Maybe the face of Uncle Ben taunting Peter. How does Mysterio know what Uncle Ben looks like? Well, he doesn't. But perhaps he sprays Peter with some kind of hallucinogenic mist that causes him to see that there.

Mysterio being d-list does not matter at all. The MCU has already used d-list villains.

Exactly.

Even sub par villains can have great stories. Mysterio may not be an Ock or a Goblin but he isn't pathetic. If you want pathetic, look at the Kangaroo. There is no salvaging that character no matter what.

Exactly.

Even sub par villains can have great stories. Mysterio may not be an Ock or a Goblin but he isn't pathetic. If you want pathetic, look at the Kangaroo. There is no salvaging that character no matter what.
He jumps at his opponent in a boxing match, never call that lame. :oldrazz:

I have not read a story with the idiot dressed like a kangaroo.

Exactly.

Everyone except me it seemed loathed the idea of Vulture being the main villain for Homecoming, but it's a testament to what a great design, great actor, and great writing can do to change perceptions.

I was behind Vulture being the villain in Homecoming from day 1.

The Spot could even work, especially after the upgrade writers gave him.

Everyone except me it seemed loathed the idea of Vulture being the main villain for Homecoming, but it's a testament to what a great design, great actor, and great writing can do to change perceptions.

I like the Vulture. :o

I don't watch many Gyllenhall movies, but I think he can pull it off and be great.

Glad we get one of the three villains I was hoping for. Maybe Chameleon and Kraven can be in the next one.

I was behind Vulture being the villain in Homecoming from day 1.

The Vulture was always one of my favorites, I never understood why he was always given the "lame" label. Yeah he's an old man in green feathered spandex but he's still always been a worthy opponent for Spidey.

I didn't loathed the idea. I was looking forward to it. Especially after the Keaton announcement. And now I'm looking forward to see Mysterio.

The Vulture was always one of my favorites, I never understood why he was always given the "lame" label. Yeah he's an old man in green feathered spandex but he's still always been a worthy opponent for Spidey.

I could see not wanting classic old man Vulture, but I always knew they were going to enhance him (like they ended up doing). Heck, the Raimi SM4 where he was going to be the villain, Vulture looked awesome there too. Potential was always there.

I would love something like this :up:

But I agree with Mysterio and grounding him. Mysterio is not a character who needs grounded. He needs embraced. He's an illusionist and a fantastical character. If you ground him, then you're kind of missing the point of the character. He is theatrical and all about presentation!

C'mon now, they'll be grounding it at least a little. Probably more visually than in terms of actual feats, though.

They'll "Keaton-Vulture" it a bit, while keeping all the important core stuff.

I could see not wanting classic old man Vulture, but I always knew they were going to enhance him (like they ended up doing). Heck, the Raimi SM4 where he was going to be the villain, Vulture looked awesome there too. Potential was always there.

Keaton's Vulture is easily my favorite of the onscreen Spidey villains. The combination of that beastly redesign, the genuine menace Keaton exuded, it really worked perfectly. I'm sure the same will be true with Gyllenhaal's Mysterio.

This. If Watts examine all the design choices to adapt from comic, regardless of 616 and Ultimate, he will try to find a way to ground it in Real World aesthetics. That includes cape, fishbowl helmet or the smoke head, and any other design elements. But like Vulture, Shocker, and Scorpion, it would be definitely change to fit a modern audience.
Exactly.

The thing is, Mysterio shouldn't be grounded in reality. His entire theme is that he is this mysterious, fantastical being. That is part of the illusion. It would be stupid to try and ground him into reality like the Vulture. The point of the character is that he is not based in real life- He's based in theatrics and special effects. Now unless they completely change Quentin Beck' s character then there is zero reason to apply real world logic to Mysterio's look. He is nothing like Vulture who In the comics was MEANT to be practical.

Jon Watts trying to make Mysterio look like something that could exist in real life would mean he has missed the point of the character entirely. Vulture having a grounded look made complete sense in Homecoming and was true to the character
It depends on what they execute. If they go full "camp" or full Red Skull type execution, yeah, you might get the classic costume straight from the comics. But Red Skull worked because it was a nice blend of period-style esque execution with a layer of sci-fi/campiness. Also, they made the necessary changes TO Vulture which went along with his aesthetic choices. That's the way Marvel Studios adapts most of their characters.

The helmet on this one's actually pretty awesome, what's that from?
fwubk6.jpg

Obviously the clothes part is all wrong, but the head on that is something like what I could see them doing. Sure there'll be some tempered/real-world version of the fishbowl, they didn't skimp on the furry-collar and general vulture aesthetic for Vulture.
1/2 of Daft Punk. And yeah, I agree.

What sort of effects would you guys want on Mysterio's voice?
Cool question. He's always had that "microphone announcer" voice huh? Maybe something similar to Iron Man in THE AVENGERS but with more reverb to get that "announcer" thing going.

Here's a question -- do you expect them to adapt his signature "Spock/Lloyd Christmas" haircut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"