Apocalypse Jennifer Lawrence Could Be... Anybody? - The Mystique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having an allergic reaction to the make-up is whining?

I've heard that excuse, but I don't buy that s*** for a second
the look is not all that important, and certainly not like it is in the comics, but her 'love' for the role seems highly questionable to me when she has slept-walked through the last 2

It just seems that Jen gets all the negativity because she's openly stated she doesn't like the makeup process. To me Nick Hoult most likely complained too because he was rarely in makeup in DoFP and seems the same for apocalypse. He's only Beast in the main fight. But people are angry at the story for that or they've blamed the creators for keeping Beast as Hank. When I'm sure he demanded that he shouldn't have to go through that process too. But no one attacks Hoult just because he hasn't said in interviews he hates it like Jen. At least she tells the truth.

Last edited:
It just seems that Jen gets all the negativity because she's openly stated she doesn't like the makeup process. To me Nick Hoult most likely complained too because he was rarely in makeup in DoFP and seems the same for apocalypse. He's only Beast in the main fight. But people are angry at the story for that or they've blamed the creators for keeping Beast as Hank. When I'm sure he demanded that he shouldn't have to go through that process too. But no one attacks Hoult just because he hasn't said in interviews he hates it like Jen. At least she tells the truth.
Did people start hating Alan Cumming when he complained about being Nightcrawler? Because he openly talk about how he hated the makeup process in every interview, hell he even said he didn't want the role at first because he thought X-Men was kind of stupid.

Did people start hating Alan Cumming when he complained about being Nightcrawler? Because he openly talk about how he hated the makeup process in every interview, hell he even said he didn't want the role at first because he thought X-Men was kind of stupid.
Nope people wanted him back. And were disappointed he never did.

Or maybe some just think that JLaw is a poor Raven, not everyone who dislikes her in the movie are hating on her. Her line delivery falls flat to me but Apocalypse seems hopeful to me so far. Idc to much about her hating the makeup though it shows in that dreadful suit she is wearing though, I still fail to believe why if she is allergic to the paint why not just put clothes on her because the bodysuit looks really bad.

Or maybe some just think that JLaw is a poor Raven, not everyone who dislikes her in the movie are hating on her. Her line delivery falls flat to me but Apocalypse seems hopeful to me so far. Idc to much about her hating the makeup though it shows in that dreadful suit she is wearing though, I still fail to believe why if she is allergic to the paint why not just put clothes on her because the bodysuit looks really bad.
That I understand. If people don't like her for the role thats fine. But a lot of negativity does come from the fact that she's spoken openly about how she doesn't like the process of becoming Mystique.

What I don't get is why Fox won't go and do motion capture for those characters. The actors would still play it in the mocap suit. They did it for Colossus in Deadpool. They can mocap Nick, Jen and Kodi. Wasn't Paul Bettany completely mocap for avengers?

Last edited:
I doubt hoults asked not to wear the make up since he ain't a big name so he wouldn't be able to make such demand so I honestly think that was a creative decision to not have Him in make up, maybe so they could keep his origin going since I don't think these films are as simple as character arcs being done and dusted because so far the characters have been intentionally held back

Personally I don't think mystique arc being reset after FC is any different from the other 3 so honestly think Lawrence or not we probably would have got this anyway, whether it's it would have been to the same degree or not who knows but I am also certain the raven idea would have remained

I think her fame is what people get so worked up about, if she wasn't as big no one would make such a fuss because people would think to much about it, they would have moaned like they did with hulk beast but at this point no would would have been surprised and expecting otherwise

Last edited:
The make-up thing just speaks more to the attitude with which it appears she has approached this franchise; she's made a poor Mystique, so the fact she won't suck it up on the make-up front for a cool couple million just lowers my opinion of her personally, on top of disliking her performance; if she didn't want to sit through 6 hours of make-up, she should not have signed on to play the chick covered head to toe in make-up (it's not like Romijn ever hid how arduous the process was.)
And for the record I do think it's super lame that Hoult isn't Beast 100% too

I never understood, what is it with the X-Men movies and always having one female character that either doesn't talk or says very few lines; sometimes saying just one line?

X1: Mystique
X2: Lady Deathstrike, Mystique
X3: Arclight
FC: Emma Frost
DoFP: Blink
XA: ?

thats a stretch. The same could be said about male characters.

X1: Toad, Sabretooth
X2: Colossus
X3: Colossus, Kid Omega, Multiple Man
FC: Azazeal, Riptide
DoFP: Warpath, Sunspot

ALL the films had several roles, male and female that didnt get many lines. Its not something aimed at the women

Last edited:
Since this is the FC trilogy it's only reasonable that they finish following the rules that they started, mystique switching between forms would be something that would carry on with, the same way Hank still being Hank even after 3 films even after his transformation, Eric is back and forth between magneto and not being magneto, Charles has had hair for 3 films, got the use of his legs back for DOFP and they will probably find reasons for mcavoy to walk again in this movie

We can say she didn't suck it up and wear the make up but can anyone really say if she did suck it up that they would have had her in make up all through out anyway? And I don't mean because of her famous face I mean from a story telling point of view

Last edited:
I get it that they don't want just to give us young, mini-me versions of the older characters played by Rebecca Romijn and Kelsey Grammer, but I am not that keen on Hoult or Lawrence in their roles.

Hoult doesn't really have the physicality needed to be Beast - the voice, frame, stature, presence.

J-Law doesn't really hit the spot either, though I sort of get why she's Raven. In DoFP, Xavier said her first kill was when she truly became Mystique and she never made that first kill in the end, she never got captured, tortured and experimented on, and so she's not the same bitter, brutal, cold-blooded person. I'm not sure of the character's role in the story though, I just about buy it at this point, but I am getting fed up with Mystique/Lawrence.

Since this is the FC trilogy it's only reasonable that they finish following the rules that they started, mystique switching between forms would be something that would carry on with, the same way Hank still being Hank even after 3 films even after his transformation, Eric is back and forth between magneto and not being magneto, Charles has had hair for 3 films, got the use of his legs back for DOFP and they will probably find reasons for mcavoy to walk again in this movie

We can say she didn't suck it up and wear the make up but can anyone really say if she did suck it up that they would have had her in make up all through out anyway? And I don't mean because of her famous face, I mean from a story telling point of view
It made sense in the last two movies why she wasnt in makeup all the time. She was ashamed in FC and her finally accepting her mutation was a key point in her character arc by the end of that film. DoFP had her on the run which she could not do if she was running around with blue skin. There really isnt any reason why she shouldnt be in her natural form here. Ive heard the excuse that she doesnt want to be some champion for mutantkind but that seems like contrived BS and doesnt feel like a natural setup as we got in the previous films. That sounds more like TPTB way of getting her out of makeup even if it doesnt fit with the character arc they started with her in FC

It made sense in the last two movies why she wasnt in makeup all the time. She was ashamed in FC and her finally accepting her mutation was a key point in her character arc by the end of that film. DoFP had her on the run which she could not do if she was running around with blue skin. There really isnt any reason why she shouldnt be in her natural form here. Ive heard the excuse that she doesnt want to be some champion for mutantkind but that seems like contrived BS and doesnt feel like a natural setup as we got in the previous films. That sounds more like TPTB way of getting her out of makeup even if it doesnt fit with the character arc they started with her in FC

When they created a magic serum to cure Charles broken spine and be the cure to help Hank look normal... Is anything really surprisingly what they would do?

Why does mystique stand out different? The logic of a serum that can fix a spine is abit of a stretch to help the plot

Truth be told it's not really different at all, you want them to be in a certain place you create an excuse or you don't at all

Or how bout more of her turning into, ya know, other people, aka. the whole point of her friggin' powers

switching back and forth between blue and blonde haired Jennifer Lawrence is a complete waste of her power

her switching to blonde Raven in the middle of a military camp in DOFP was so dumb when she could have been literally any less conspicuous soldier

When they created a magic serum to cure Charles broken spine and be the cure to help Hank look normal... Is anything really surprisingly what they would do?

Why does mystique stand out different? The logic of a serum that can fix a spine is abit of a stretch to help the plot

Who said that Hank and Charles didnt have their own issues? This is the Mystique thread, hence why we are discussing her here.

Or how bout more of her turning into, ya know, other people, aka. the whole point of her friggin' powers

switching back and forth between blue and blonde haired Jennifer Lawrence is a complete waste of her power

her switching to blonde Raven in the middle of a military camp in DOFP was so dumb when she could have been literally any less conspicuous soldier

thats another issue I have. She uses the "Jennifer Lawrence" form so often that its not really a disguise anymore. Its very much who she is and not the wisest look to use if she is trying to hide her identity. They cant at last switch it up and have her change her hair color, length, etc....?

Who said that Hank and Charles didnt have their own issues? This is the Mystique thread, hence why we are discussing her here.

Because it backs up my case, there seems to be this feeling of mystique should be through with her arc already when so should it be for all of them after FC but they found ways to go back to them

I think her fame is what people get so worked up about

Definitely. IMO she's the punching bag when really people just don't like that the character is so different and now so important. It's an issue with the writing and because she's so famous now, Lawrence will take the heat for it.

thats another issue I have. She uses the "Jennifer Lawrence" form so often that its not really a disguise anymore. Its very much who she is and not the wisest look to use if she is trying to hide her identity

To be fair who was she hiding her identity from? no one would recognise her anyway and its not like when she was raven in the White House sequence in the crowd

If she wasn't Jennifer Lawrence people wouldn't think twice about her turning into that form, a form she was familiar with growing up with Charles

Last edited:
Because it backs up my case, there seems to be this feeling of mystique should be through with her arc already when so should it be for all of them after FC but they found ways to go back to them

actually it doesnt. Its deflecting. We can go back and forth about Xavier and Hank but its not really relevant in here. I dont see what her use of powers has to do with her arc. That part of it ended in FC when she accepted her mutation. As I mentioned, the reason she was in disguise in the last film really had nothing to do with that as it was more of a survival thing bc again she was on the run. It was plot driven; not character driven

To be fair who was she hiding her identity from? no one would recognise her anyway and its not like when she was raven in the White House sequence in the crowd

If she wasn't Jennifer Lawrence people wouldn't think twice about her turning into that form, a form she was familiar with growing up with Charles
in X1-X3, Mystique was played by- Rebecca Romijn, Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, Anna Paquin, Kelly Hu, Brian Cox, Patrick Stewart, Shawn Ashmore, Anthony Heald, the dude who played Gyrich, random dead Liberty Island guard, and more

She was blonde Rebecca Romijn once, for 2 minutes
and nobody had any issues figuring it out

current mystique has been, what- JLaw, KBacon, a Nixon cabinet member, and young Stryker twice?
they could do more with it

Last edited:
actually it doesnt. Its deflecting. We can go back and forth about Xavier and Hank but its not really relevant in here. I dont see what her use of powers has to do with her arc. That part of it ended in FC when she accepted her mutation. As I mentioned, the reason she was in disguise in the last film really had nothing to do with that as it was more of a survival thing bc again she was on the run. It was plot driven; not character driven

Same could be said for Hank, he turned into beast, that's over now, why get a cure?

Yes we are talking about mystique but unless you get what I am trying to trying to say then all I am getting is well it was ok for them but it shouldn't be ok for her like they should stick to rules for mystique that they don't for the others

These last 2 films have been very character driven, maybe not for all the characters and maybe the fans may want it to be more plot driven and to abide by their powers or comic counter parts but it's clearly not like that, they want kitty to have time travel powers then somehow she has time travel powers whether it makes sense for not

Last edited:
current mystique has been, what- JLaw, KBacon, a Nixon cabinet member, and young Stryker twice?
they could do more with it

Depends how we are counting it out i guess, if you mean every time she tranformed then its

Xaviers mother, William Stryker Sr, banshee, shaw in FC but that movie wasn't about her powers

In DOFP she was the guy entering the camp, the thai guy, stryker, trask, black afro 70s girl, homeless man, nixon, security guard, xavier in the rogue cut, some random guy after she walked away from not giving trask

Last edited:
Also don't forget in Apocalypse she is known as the blue shape shifting mutant who saved the president. She's going down in history as that mutant who saved the president. She's hiding away from that so she isn't in her blue natural form the whole time. Ok so she morphs into JLaw all the time. You really don't think they're not gonna do that to promote their most bankable star? Come on yo. It's Hollywood and its a business. RDJ is behind his Iron Man mask most of the movie but we still see his face in it. We didn't really need to have those shots of RDJ all the time. We know it's him behind that mask. But you need it. You need to show off your stars. They get butts in the seats.

Same could be said for Hank, he turned into beast, that's over now, why get a cure?

bc unlike Mystique, he hadnt fully accepted the physical changes associated with his mutation. The stuff with Beast anyway was plot driven BS for Xavier as they tried to delay him turning into the Professor that we all were accustomed to

Also don't forget in Apocalypse she is known as the blue shape shifting mutant who saved the president. She's going down in history as that mutant who saved the president. She's hiding away from that so she isn't in her blue natural form the whole time. Ok so she morphs into JLaw all the time. You really don't think they're not gonna do that to promote their most bankable star? Come on yo. It's Hollywood and its a business. RDJ is behind his Iron Man mask most of the movie but we still see his face in it. We didn't really need to have those shots of RDJ all the time. We know it's him behind that mask. But you need it. You need to show off your stars. They get butts in the seats.

you arent saying anything that people dont know and havent said here already

I doubt hoults asked not to wear the make up since he ain't a big name so he wouldn't be able to make such demand so I honestly think that was a creative decision to not have Him in make up, maybe so they could keep his origin going since I don't think these films are as simple as character arcs being done and dusted because so far the characters have been intentionally held back

Personally I don't think mystique arc being reset after FC is any different from the other 3 so honestly think Lawrence or not we probably would have got this anyway, whether it's it would have been to the same degree or not who knows but I am also certain the raven idea would have remained

I think her fame is what people get so worked up about, if she wasn't as big no one would make such a fuss because people would think to much about it, they would have moaned like they did with hulk beast but at this point no would would have been surprised and expecting otherwise

For some reason you think people are only upset because it is JLaw that Ravens origin got explored a bit more she is a big star so yes it really does play a part. I'm sure regardless how big of a star would have played Mystique they would still complain because Raven is getting a lot of scree time and vastly different from her comic counterpart so the complaints would still be there people would still fuss. Especially if Raven is in your face and the actress just dosent deliver like we know she can. As I said not everything who has a problem with Raven is feeling that way strictly because of JLaw at lot goes along with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"