John Byrne

Anyone else here agree with JB that way too much time is spent trying to establish a timeline for these characters. I do.

I think timelines and and the popularity of "alternate universes" screwed comics over. This type of writing came into vogue during the early nineties in mass. Sure it may have been mentioned once or twice very briefly within the DC bullpen back in the 70's, but it didn't take on it's ultimately destructive place in comicdom until twenty years later. Now we have a total mess out there.

I concur with what J. Byrne had to say (he happens to be in the top three of my favorite comic producers list - Stan and Jack are the other two.) Unfortunately I see no way to fix the situation without putting the brakes on everything and seeking out new writers. I think only Byrne is left in this industry who could logically and creatively iron out this situation.

Wetgorilla

:wolverine

wetgorilla said:
I think only Byrne is left in this industry who could logically and creatively iron out this situation.
You've never read anything by Kurt Busiek or Geoff Johns, have you?

TheCorpulent1 said:
You've never read anything by Kurt Busiek or Geoff Johns, have you?

BURN! Homie got OWN3D!

Seriously, Byrne needs to shut the hell up.

And what he said about Christopher Reeves is IMO uncalled for. What does he care if people want to call him a hero. He might be regarded the same way if he got off his lazy ass and actually did something constructive other than give his insane view points on the comic industry i.e. Brit witers should never write Capt. America or say something about a subject that no one asked his opinion on.

Byrne is doucebag. Plain and simple. His completely ingnorant comments on race, such as all latina women with blonde hair are hookers, or the honeymooners can only be played by white people show that this man is an idiot.
I honestly can't believe that people are suprised when this idiot says something stupid.
And the sad part is he still gets jobs writing comics.

Okay seriously, I don't know about anyone else but I have a rule where it doesn't matter what kind of point you're trying to make, you just don't say **** about the cripple. The guy wants to be called a hero, **** it, call him a hero. Is he less than deserving of the title? WHO ****ING CARES! Everything beneath his neck is a lifeless stump! Let it go.

He was spot-on about Mia in Green Arrow though.

Thing is, Byrne is just flat-out wrong about Reeve. Sure, he didn't choose to get paralyzed, but he absolutely had a choice in how he dealt with it. He could have done a lot of things: wallowed in self-pity, retreated from the public eye, etc. Instead he made himself the most active voice in saying there's hope for people with paralysis, that they shouldn't give up on finding a cure, and in pushing for approval and funding for research into new treatments. I think most men wouldn't want to put themselves in the public eye after suffering a debilitating injury. They'd be too proud to let people see them in that state. But because Reeve had the courage to do so, he gave a lot of people faced with similar injuries the hope they needed to keep on living. Personally, I find that heroic. Some people may not. But to say that he didn't have any choice about it is simply untrue.

ok, first off: I don't know much about John Byrne. I'm too young to have read most of the works he is well known for, and I'm aware the man has done and said some controversial things, but never really researched them

but an interesting little thing happened last week that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned here yet

as of september 14th, this was the wikipedia (online encyclopdia that anyone can edit, for those not in the know) entry for John Byrne
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Byrne&oldid=23225741

3 minutes later, this was the entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Byrne&oldid=23225889

the user who made the edit was named John Byrne, and John Byrne himself at his website has confirmed it was him. That's right, John Byrne erased his entire encyclopedia entry down to a brief paragraph, appearently because he felt the entire thing was opinion and critical.

the next 3 days saw about 100 edits to the entry, by Byrne supporters and deractors, and those who are just trying to run wikipedia as it's meant to be run. Byrne has appearently even been in contact with the man who runs wikipedia with certain demands. For the time being, the article remains locked with a brief biographical paragraph and an abbreviated lists of works. Byrne appearently doesn't want to acknowledge any of the controversies that have surrounded him over the years

so, it's just an internet thing, but this is pretty messed up. Thoughts?

This has been making it's way around a lot of comics blogs lately and I've read a lot of opinions on it.

I think both sides got carried away. I had read the wiki entry before this all started and I agree that it had a lot of opinion in it, most of it bad. It was overly negative towards Byrne and highlighted a lot of things that he has done that were contreversial, but they took some of the stuff out of context.

Byrne went to far the other way though by trying to eliminate nearly everything. A lot of it didn't need to be erase, but rather rewritten to be more objective and less opinion-based. But Byrne was not the person to do this. It would have been better coming from someone else.

So I think that both sides are in the right and in the wrong. Knowing what I do about Bryne though, I doubt this'll be settled easily.

for god's sake man! I haven't read EVERYTHING!

....yet.

All Wikipedia articles are supposed to maintain a neutral point of view. If Byrne were trying to fix the article's lack of neutrality (and correct factual errors) I'd have no problem with it. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be what he's trying to do. (Unless he's "fixing the problems with the article" in the same sense that one could achieve world peace by exterminating the human race.)

Hopefully, they'll get it all straightened out soon.

(John Byrne does not hate blonde Latinas)

Best part of that site.

I really liked "He is currently working mainly for DC Comics, standing astride the American and global comics markets like a bearded colossus." :D

Methinks Mr. Byrne thinks just a bit too highly of himself.

Elijya said:
I wonder where that one came from?

He made a comment on his board about Jessica Alba being Sue Storm for the movie. He said something along the lines of Latinas who dye their hair blond look like hookers... CTOAN had the exact quote as his sig a while back. :D

Eh, it's Byrne. He's literally borderline senial.

I've got friends who have tried to talk to him on message boards, they compliment his entire body of work and have said that they didn't think too highly of one thing or another. He suddenly woulden't speak to them because they were being demeaning, blah blah blah.

I did love seeing his wife punched in the face in Constantine though... I think Byrne needs to learn some humility as well.

wikipedia said:
"John Byrne is a homosexual pedophile who has a lengthy criminal history of aggravated assault, murder, sodomy, indecent exposure, and battery. He is currently serving six life sentences in the California penal system for being a total *****ebag.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Byrne"

This was my favorite. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"