Homecoming John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein ARE Sony & Marvel's 'Spider-Man' Writers

Once again, I'm seeing a lot of hypocritical behavior and comments here from people who just a few short months ago were cheering the idea of Marvel Studios getting to use Spider-Man, and it's rather pathetic, IMO, how quickly Kevin Feige can go from being considered the "God" who's going to 'save' Spider-Man to people acting like this movie is going to bomb.

How is it hypocritical?

The issue is moreso why Marvel and Sony isn't going all out. I mean we got an indy director and a couple of average writers for Spider-Man. You'd think they go all out.

No one thinks this movie will bomb. A Spidey movie has never bombed excepted TASM2 but this one will not bomb. That's like saying Batman will bomb when he won't.

I am more excited for Phil Lord and Chris Miller's animated Spider-Man movie at this point. :oldrazz:

I wouldn't say I'm more excited for the animated movie right now but I am very intrigued to see who else they attach to this thing, hiring a director and casting roles. It'd be awesome if they somehow got Weisman involved. In his latest TSSM podcast he talked about looking for work right now and said both he and his TSSM creative team, including the voice actors, would jump at the chance to do a movie. He said, "Sony knows where I am and how to get a hold of me if they need me." Get on this Sony.

At this point, I trust Marvel that they know what they're doing. They've never outright failed. If they're not happy with the script, they'll get new writers. If they're happy with it, they'll march forward. I trust them.

Aww John Francis Daley from Bones... nice to see him get such a high-profile film!

At this point, I trust Marvel that they know what they're doing. They've never outright failed. If they're not happy with the script, they'll get new writers. If they're happy with it, they'll march forward. I trust them.

I have plenty of faith in Marvel and Feige. Though I will say this first Spidey film has a lot more riding on it than the first Thor, CA, or Ant-Man film. With two of the last three Spider-Man movies being duds and one being fairly mediocre, I think many people are expecting much more than just an average entry. They're not only starting a new chapter, they also need to reinvigorate the character in cinema. It's going to be a challenge for them to meet the expectation level.

All we can hope for right now is for them to deliver.

Lord and Miller supposedly have a Spider-Man animated film, a Star Wars Anthology film, and a Flash film coming out the same year. I'm skeptical of the idea that they'll stay on all three projects.

When they were reported to be attached to direct the Han Solo flick it was said that they deliberately didn't sign on to direct all those other movies because they were still deciding which they wanted to commit to. For flash they're just writing a story, not even the screenplay. They're 'creators' on the animated movie. The Han Solo one is the only movie that will really divert their attention.

If they're only creators, that strengthens my point that they aren't really heavily involved in the animated Spider-Man movie.

When did this discussion become about the animated movie?

Still wish Lord and Miller were directing :/ ... oh well

Not gonna lie; this is the first decision from Marvel and Sony so far on the new Spider-Man series that I'm not liking very much. Daley and Goldstein could certainly prove me wrong and I hope they do, but I deliberately was hoping that they wouldn't get the directing gig. From the looks of their upcoming Vacation film, they just seem like an off fit for the series.

Hopefully Feige or Watts consult Greg Weisman in the future or hire him to do rewrites and polishing after D&G are done.

I'm actually fine with this. Like I said, I trust Marvel, and if they're not happy with something, they'll fix it. But I like that this points to something with a bit of a comedic tone.

At the end of the day, both Daley and Goldstein, along with Watts, will have to execute Marvel's vision. I'm not worried.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned for the film as a whole; I'm just not a big fan of that particular pick. It's not the end of the world or even a big negative against the film. If they do well with the script, then I'm sure Feige and Watts will run with it. If not, then they'll get someone else to rewrite it or do revisions over the script. Either way, I have faith in the film.

I'm betting this'll end up like Gaurdians and Ant-Man, films that sound incredibky bad based on cast and crew but turn out to be amazing. Hopefully this can be the Iron Man 3 of the Spider-Man franchise(box office wise) and be the first Spider-Man film to gross a billion.

Yeah, heard it's a sequel actually, thought it was a remake. I just watched the trailer there, and found myself laughing at some parts too. Pleasantly surprised, so I hope the film's good.

The idea behind Cop Car is great, but it's all about how they execute it. If they screw up, it could end up boring as hell, but I'm excited to see it for myself. The Sundance reviews make it out to be a good movie, so hopefully there are a lot more where those came from when it's officially released.

Yeah. Vacation & Cop Car aren't out to the public yet, but Feige & Co will have seen them, they'll have have played a part of the decision process.

How is it hypocritical?

The issue is moreso why Marvel and Sony isn't going all out. I mean we got an indy director and a couple of average writers for Spider-Man. You'd think they go all out.

No one thinks this movie will bomb. A Spidey movie has never bombed excepted TASM2 but this one will not bomb. That's like saying Batman will bomb when he won't.

OK, what would you define as "going all out"?

ironically, John Francis Daley, was one of my picks for an adult Peter Parker/spider-man

Just realized that I loved Horrible Bosses, so that gives me a little bit of hope, but still kinda iffy.

I'm betting this'll end up like Gaurdians and Ant-Man, films that sound incredibky bad based on cast and crew but turn out to be amazing. Hopefully this can be the Iron Man 3 of the Spider-Man franchise(box office wise) and be the first Spider-Man film to gross a billion.
It's a good thing nothing sounds incredibly bad so far.

I don't think anyone is worried about this being a bad film, rather a ok - mediocre one.

People don't want a Thor or Ironman 3, they want a GOTG or WS quality movie, something to reinvigorate interest in Spiderman.

After 3 bad attempts, people don't just want a good film, but a great one. It is a tall order, but Marvel can certainly do it.

I am sure watts and feige will have eye over the writers. And if there script is up to snuff. They will be off project and new writer.

WTF is this ****? :barf:

I never said anything about the director because I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt but these writers have only worked on terrible movies :cmad:

I'm starting to get worried about this movie, it sounds like it could be a total disaster or Thor 2-level mediocrity :wall:

Ok rant over :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"