Homecoming John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein ARE Sony & Marvel's 'Spider-Man' Writers

Totally the best writers, actors, and directors all have their fair share of crap. And just cause they had some crappy projects doesn't mean every project will be like that. Along with marvel controlling creative side of things. And it be marvel vision I am sure kevin saw things in them he liked and if after scripts come in if it's not working things will just change and the writers could move on or others cone in. So much unknowns.

But all of their projects have been crap though and just because working with unknown filmmakers worked in the past doesn't mean it will always work.

True but still they had to impress kevin and marvel. And they are only just starting up work niw. So again if it's not to marvel liking they be passed on and others come in. Or others will probably polish the script between now and ten months from now. Again I would be more worried if once a draft was done and we heard from reliable sources it looks like crap. Cause to much is unknown now to be all oh the film is doomed.

Here's the problem with the writers.

Feige wants John Hughes inspired Spidey film
Writers just did John Hughes inspired Vaction movie part of Hughes's Vaction series
Vaction has been critically panned

Here's the problem with the writers.

Feige wants John Hughes inspired Spidey film
Writers just did John Hughes inspired Vaction movie part of Hughes's Vaction series
Vaction has been critically panned

sigh...let´s hope for the best, maybe if the script isn´t good they just do rewrites...

I have hopes for the director because he's been involved with The Onion plus Cop Car looks good. I am slightly concerned about these writers though. I don't think the trailers for Vacation look as bad as people make them out to be (I've never watched a John Hughes film though), but the opinions about that film tend to be pretty negative.

Again every writer, director, actor has bad films be it one or many. That doesn't mean they dont have it in them to pull out a good project down the road. And again it seems like folks are forgetting the script isn't just going thru these guys hands and movie is then made.

It has to go thru marvel and Kevin and if he doesn't like it. They will either redo the script or again likely be dropped and watts does a pass, or a in house marvel writer takes a pass. Or they can hire someone like mckay fir example to clean up script.

I just hate everyone thinking this will be crap when we have nothing to go by for this film yet. And again the writers past films where more adult toned films. And not the same take or direction spidey be. If you want something closer to what spidey style be that be the cloudy film.

If the script is bad , they'll hire some one to re-write it. I wouldn't even be surprised if this first script will be a foundation for a story that eventual gets re-written by someone else.

I know that is what I am getting at. We are ten months from filming to begin. We have no clue how many drafts or how many writers will end up on the film. And how much will change from their first draft. To what is the filming script. So yes their is valid concerns and all. But saying the film is doomed when it's so far from filming is out if place. Can things are not even locked in yet.

I'm sure the script will go through rewrites, as they always do. Daley and Goldstein have been brought onboard to establish the story and the base script, which will go through numerous revisions under the careful guidance of Feige and his team at Marvel. I'm not concerned at this point in time, regardless of how horrible Vacation was.

For me I am in same boat. So much will go on from now. And everything being said now all sounds good. So Untill we know what is going on and any script leaks to show different we shouldn't freak out.

I'm pretty sure all of the Spiderman films, have had several screenwriters and re-writes. I know that was the case with the Raimi trilogy and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for the Webb films as well.

Ya I am sure these guys will end up doing 2 or 3 drafts. Watts then likely make a pass on it. Then probably a in house writer or another like mckay for example come in and do final polish.

Most likely as it will have to fit the world and vision of the mcu. And since we know marvel is handling the creative end of things. I really doubt we have much to worry on that front.

Guys, calm down.

The writer of Spider-Man 2, Alvin Sargent, had worse writing credits than both of these guys. He wrote Unfaithful, Anywhere but Here, Bogus, Other People's Money, etc.

All those movies were his latest credits leading up to SM2. Honestly, credits don't really matter to **** in superhero films. Especially Marvel Studios' films, as we've talked about already before.

If Feige along with the Russo Brothers handpicked Watts and Daley & Goldstein, I have confidence in them.

Guys, calm down.

The writer of Spider-Man 2, Alvin Sargent, had worse writing credits than both of these guys. He wrote Unfaithful, Anywhere but Here, Bogus, Other People's Money, etc.

All those movies were his latest credits leading up to SM2. Honestly, credits don't really matter to **** in superhero films. Especially Marvel Studios' films, as we've talked about already before.

If Feige along with the Russo Brothers handpicked Watts and Daley & Goldstein, I have confidence in them.

Alvin Sargent had lots of experience and had written many great movies "according to rottentomatoes at least" in the past.

Alvin Sargent had lots of experience and had written many great movies "according to rottentomatoes at least" in the past.
Unfaithful: 49%
Anywhere but Here: 64%
Bogus: 40%
Other People's Money : 33%
White Palace: 60%

I don't know about his movies before that, but even if they were any good, it certainly would've looked like he fell way off.

I'd rather take young guys like Daley & Goldstein who would have grown up with Spidey and are handpicked by Feige and the Russo Brothers over someone handpicked by Avi Arad who made a bunch of ****** movies prior to their Spider-Man movie.

Anything's possible with superhero films.

Last edited:
I'd rather take young guys like Daley & Goldstein who would have grown up with Spidey and are handpicked by Feige and the Russo Brothers over someone handpicked by Avi Arad who made a bunch of ****** movies prior to their Spider-Man movie.

Anything's possible with superhero films.

But that's exactly what Daley and Goldstein have done.

Dude's been writing since the 50's and had two oscars under his belt. It's not much of a comparison.

Ya I been same feeling so what if they have a few bad films. All hollywood folks have a few stinkers to there resumes. And as long as they get and understand the characters. And marvel ie kevin keeps them in check to how they want mcu spidey be. I am sure they will be fine. As film will go through multi drafts. And then also watts likely take a pass at the script. Marvel I. House guys, or maybe even another writer we don't know. How script will be in 10 months.

Agreed. Can you really imagine Marvel screwing up the movie for their flagship character? I'm not worried, at all. Watts is a very talented director (critics seem to agree), and I have faith in these writers.

I really don't believe Feige would choose subpar writers deliberately just on the basis that there can be rewrites. I believe that he was impressed by their pitch so I'm looking forward to seeing it. :yay:

Yeah, there's more to casting writers and directors than looking at their credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"