John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

I get the feeling we'll probably end up with Alan Silvestri or Danny Elfman.

My number one choice for awhile was Giacchino, but since he’s been doing so much bright, optimistic stuff (which Superman should be) at Disney and Marvel, I feel like the most effective work he’s churned out in awhile is The Batman, because it kind of let him play against type.

So I don’t really have one candidate in mind right now. And until we actually know who will direct this, I think we’ll all just be firing blindly.

Im prepared with my shields up but get ready for a hot take! Bam coming at ya!

After watching The Batman it got me thinking if he gets Nirvana Something in way as the base for his theme and also a running song throughout the film... What would Superman have and I think this song is a great choice for a lovely fun, cute, romantic, happy world for supes (disclaimer: This doesn't mean it's all light hearted and cheese but just for Superman him self)

I even think the orchestral parts and melodies towards the end could be played with to create a nice Superman theme.

This is probably going to sound like a weird suggestion, but hear me out: Nicholas Britell.

It's not very bombastic, but there's something about "Agape" that feels fitting to listen to as I read a Superman comic. Especially anytime the story is focusing on Clark and not Superman.

This piece by Philip Glass SCREAMS Superman to me. It has the right vibe imho. It's used in the movie the Truman Show. Incredible track.

Howard shore would be my pick.

Elements of this theme should be in no matter what. Not like Elfman’s rush job though…

The thing is I love much of Zimmer’s music for Man Of Steel too…

Gunn's preferred choice?

If this will indeed be a Gunn film (directed or otherwise), I suspect the needle drops will be just as prominent the composed score.

Some ideas…

“Holding Out for a Hero” - Bonnie Tyler
“Eight Miles High” - The Byrds
“You Make My Dreams” - Hall & Oates
“Don’t Stop Me Now” - Queen
“Do You Believe in Magic” - The Lovin’ Spoonful
“Welcome to the Working Week” - Elvis Costello
“Changes” - David Bowie

Im prepared with my shields up but get ready for a hot take! Bam coming at ya!

After watching The Batman it got me thinking if he gets Nirvana Something in way as the base for his theme and also a running song throughout the film... What would Superman have and I think this song is a great choice for a lovely fun, cute, romantic, happy world for supes (disclaimer: This doesn't mean it's all light hearted and cheese but just for Superman him self)

I even think the orchestral parts and melodies towards the end could be played with to create a nice Superman theme.

You made an excellent observation... we may very well have pop or iconic songs in this, to be the underlying them.. esp Gunn loving his nostalgic connotations.

I love that song, but I feel it's not quite right...something a little less 80s but more timeless - however I can see a montage of it working... I guess the visuals connect to the song then you have a masterpiece.

Elements of this theme should be in no matter what. Not like Elfman’s rush job though…

The thing is I love much of Zimmer’s music for Man Of Steel too…

I love Zimmers use of the strings, that electric, metallic feel... juxtaposed with the choral effect.

Can they get it right a 3rd time of asking?

If this will indeed be a Gunn film (directed or otherwise), I suspect the needle drops will be just as prominent the composed score.

Some ideas…

“Holding Out for a Hero” - Bonnie Tyler
“Eight Miles High” - The Byrds
“You Make My Dreams” - Hall & Oates
“Don’t Stop Me Now” - Queen
“Do You Believe in Magic” - The Lovin’ Spoonful
“Welcome to the Working Week” - Elvis Costello
“Changes” - David Bowie

Some good, obvious choices.. I just hope he doesn't step into the cheese aspect as he has that issue, for me, at times. However, Lois & Clark had Bonnie Tyler's track.

Marc Webb is great with music... 500 days of summer an example - possible director?

Songs I could handle..

Everybody wants to rule the world - tears for fears.
This song works on many levels, has wonderful elements, the intro kicks me in heart strings.

I was leaning toward Ramin Djawadi before, and if Gunn ends up directing I would be fine with the likes of Tyler Bates or John Murphy, but someone I could really go for?

Bear McCreary. Loved him for a long time and that Godzilla he worked on didn’t allow him to catch fire in the film realm like I thought it might.

Bear McCreary. Loved him for a long time and that Godzilla he worked on didn’t allow him to catch fire in the film realm like I thought it might.
I'm always Team McCreary, tbh.

It should really be Michael Giacchino. But I’m not so picky when it comes to composer. I just think he always knocks its out of the park.

Id love for The man who sold the world by Bowie to play as lex looks over the city, the camera is behind him at first but we recognise his chrome some, the camera closes in and slowly turns to his face and a smile creeps up, we can see the reflection of metropolis city and behind him we see he is in the oval room. Maybe not for the first film but for whenever lex becomes president.

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic

Nancy Sinatra - These boots are made for walking

The White Stripes - Aluminum

Bowie - The man who sold the world

ELO - Mr blue sky (or whatever it's called)

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic

Nancy Sinatra - These boots are made for walking

The White Stripes - Aluminum

Bowie - The man who sold the world

ELO - Mr blue sky (or whatever it's called)

As an Aston Villa fan I find the idea of Mr Blue Sky repulsive.. Only joking, it’s a good song but it reminds me of the other team in Birmingham, England.

As an Aston Villa fan I find the idea of Mr Blue Sky repulsive.. Only joking, it’s a good song but it reminds me of the other team in Birmingham, England.
Hah I'm not completely sure what you are referring to but I assume it's soccer teams.

Regardless, i suggest watching some Superman montage footàge with the song playing over. It suits quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"