John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

I’ve been listening to a lot of sufjan stevens lately, he might be fun for a more modern approach

Okay, but how tf are you gonna use “Starman” on Superman when he exists in a universe that includes several characters who call themselves Starman.

Okay, but how tf are you gonna use “Starman” on Superman when he exists in a universe that includes several characters who call themselves Starman.

What if we put Starro on him first? :mindblown:

I always get a bit emotional with starman so I think that would be a really beautiful moment to see superman watching earth from the moon while listening to that

Gunn using Florence and the Machine on the GOTG vol. 3 soundtrack is really opening up a whole new world of what music is possible for this movie.

I'll be honest I think Gunn is gonna stir away from some of the most obvious song choices for Superman.

I honestly don't think we'll as much in the way of music like we've had in Guardians, TSS, and Peacemaker. I feel like Gunn approaches this one differently.

I think Supes is in need of some revamping, he (the story or whatever) comes across as a bit pretentious if it's always some Amaaaazing score that is meant to carry every single theme that Supes embodies.

I don't care for one bit about the MOS score, I find it's very much up its own butt trying to tell just how important this guy is and then I just think it fails to be a good score because of that (my opinion obviously)

I'm not against a theme and I do want a great fun theme for him but I want it to be FUN and exciting, obviously, it's the same dude but Indiana Jones has such a fun theme that gets you excited.

Not ****ting on the S: TM theme either, it's a classic but a lot of the slow stuff build-up comes from the Krypton side where it's so bleak and cold and then we get washed over with the exciting part for Superman.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think a Supes could do with kick-ass fun songs to give it some extra pep in its step.

Damn, it. Marvels got to Intergalactic first, I had that one booked.

I think Supes is in need of some revamping, he (the story or whatever) comes across as a bit pretentious if it's always some Amaaaazing score that is meant to carry every single theme that Supes embodies.

I don't care for one bit about the MOS score, I find it's very much up its own butt trying to tell just how important this guy is and then I just think it fails to be a good score because of that (my opinion obviously)

I'm not against a theme and I do want a great fun theme for him but I want it to be FUN and exciting, obviously, it's the same dude but Indiana Jones has such a fun theme that gets you excited.

Not ****ting on the S: TM theme either, it's a classic but a lot of the slow stuff build-up comes from the Krypton side where it's so bleak and cold and then we get washed over with the exciting part for Superman.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think a Supes could do with kick-ass fun songs to give it some extra pep in its step.
I love both Williams’s score and Zimmer’s music for MOS, but I would really like this iteration to have his own musical identity. And if that includes a smattering of licensed music, then so be it. It’s Gunn’s prerogative.

Howard Shore. Superman needs a really great score for OUR first glimpse of him doing a big save. Shore could pull it off brilliantly.

I also fully expect Gunn to use some classic rock songs, thrown in here and there.

I am actually curious to see if Gunn might break with some of his recurring collaborators for this occasion. Like, I’m pretty sure that we were all expecting a Tyler Bates Superman score when Snyder was announced as director on MOS, but then they threw a curveball and got Zimmer on-board.

I’m confident that John Murphy could deliver on a Superman score, but I’m open to alternatives.

Honestly, I had cooled on him as a candidate just because he’s already done so much similar work to what this will likely be AND because his work on The Batman was so different for him that I just kind of want him to marinate in that world for awhile, but…

I’m listening to Giacchino’s Star Trek score and it feels like a good fit.

I know he's not as big of a name but I really dug the Spider-Man video game theme that John Paesano composed. I could easily see him translating to more a big screen feel with Superman.

Between "Creep" being in GOTG 3 and Superman Lives having meant to have used one of their songs, I wouldn't be shocked if a Radiohead song was on here (although Subterranean Homesick Alien does feel too obvious)

All I know is I want it to sound like this. I remember watching that scene in the theater and immediately thought this should be Superman's theme song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"