John Ridley Marvel TV Show in Development

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
There's been some talk, but I felt like this deserves its own thread.

Link

Let the speculation begin: EW has learned that Oscar-winning writer-producer John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) is teaming up with Marvel to develop a mysterious new TV series.

We hear the deal involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property for ABC—but all sides are staying quiet on exactly which title Ridley is adapting.

This comes on the heels of EW breaking the news that Marvel and ABC are also developing a spinoff series to The Avengers tie-in Agents of SHIELD.

Ridley is an executive producer of ABC’s acclaimed midseason drama American Crime, which we hear is looking good for a second season renewal. Coming off winning best adapted screenplay for 12 Years a Slave, Ridley is also a writer/producer on the 2016 big-screen update of Ben Hur.

The reports seem to indicate this is separate and apart from the Agents of SHIELD spinoff in development. Aside from that, there isn't much to go on beyond "existing superhero character or property." But that suggests, unlike Agents of SHIELD, it's based on existing character(s).

The big news, of course, is John Ridley. I sadly haven't seen his work, but I know of the accolades given to 12 Years a Slave and American Crime looks great. I commented elsewhere that he also would seem to be a good candidate for Luke Cage. His work seems to lend itself to gritty hyperrealism like the Netflix shows. On the other hand, Ben Hur seems to show he has an interest in the epic.

So what do you think? Is there any project that would be a good fit for him or project you'd like to see him take a stab at? Anyone have any idea what this could be?

I was originally thinking Runaways, but Drew Pearce would likely get the first crack at developing that project for TV. I've read speculation that it's Cloak and Dagger, and that one seems to fit.

There's a misc. TV forum?

To me, anything in the MCU works well being discussed together. Marvel knows it's in their interests to make everything connected (to quote a familiar phrase). But this might not be as connected as Agents of SHIELD. Anyone know if John Ridley is a comic book fan?

There's a misc. TV forum?

To me, anything in the MCU works well being discussed together. Marvel knows it's in their interests to make everything connected (to quote a familiar phrase). But this might not be as connected as Agents of SHIELD. Anyone know if John Ridley is a comic book fan?

Haha yeah, there is. I agree that this is a better place for it.

I've seen 12 Years a Slave, but I don't think I've seen anything else by John Ridley. I look forward to finding out more about this. Until we get more details, it's almost impossible to speculate... it could be almost anything!

It won't be Luke Cage, that already has a show runner. The whole "reinvent an existing character" thing makes me wonder if it's similar to the Daredevil situation. Redoing a character that has already appeared in something other than just the comic books. Maybe Blade. Cloak and Dagger would be cool, though.

Wonder if it's gonna be on ABC or Netflix. If it's ABC, then I kind of hope it's not Blade.

Last edited:
I think the two most obvious choices for an ABC show are Cloak and Dagger and Runaways, if not either of those than She-Hulk, or Mockingbird possibly, maybe a SWORD show.

I think if it was Mockingbird, that would probably fall under the SHIELD spin-off we're hearing about, which apparently already has show runners as well.

Moon knight? I would love that. Although I wish marvel would hurry up and announce a showrunner for iron fist first before planning their phase 2 television production.

If it's an ABC show than my guess is that it's either a Mockingbird show or a inhuman spin off. Although, personally, I'm hoping that I'm wrong and that it's Cloak and Dagger.

Moon knight? I would love that. Although I wish marvel would hurry up and announce a showrunner for iron fist first before planning their phase 2 television production.

Frankly, this show will probably show up before Iron Fist since the latest announcement is Luke Cage will air first (which is corroborated by the fact that they have a show runner).

Hope it ain't Mockingbird.

G'day,

I ain't going to be Mockingbird. The report says:

"We hear the deal involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property for ABC—but all sides are staying quiet on exactly which title Ridley is adapting."

Mockingbird - Bobbi Morse is in the MCU already thanks to AOS.

ta

Ralph

Hope it ain't Mockingbird.

Blue marvel's origin in the comic will not fit that well in mcu i think,it could but maybe this reinvented character for the mcu could be him.
Maybe blair underwood as blue marvel,who knows.

I am thinking outside the box here.

You know instead of having his origin in the past about how he gets his powers, it could take place for today.
Anyway i hope it's blue marvel,the Adam Brashear character first,and i hope it's him but if it's blair underwood's character i will be fine with it.

Last edited:
G'day,

I ain't going to be Mockingbird. The report says:

"We hear the deal involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property for ABC—but all sides are staying quiet on exactly which title Ridley is adapting."

Mockingbird - Bobbi Morse is in the MCU already thanks to AOS.

ta

Ralph

It could depend on if they mean "existing MCU character" or "an existing character from the comic books". I mean, I'm assuming the second just because of the word "reinvent" (would they really bother to "reinvent" a character who has already been translated from one medium to another?) but I suppose it could go either way.

By the way i think blue marvel's origin story from the comics could be done in mcu but tv or netflix maybe the way to go.

Someone on reddit, with no proof that they are legit, was apparently saying that they have inside info that the show is about
Kamala Khan

No evidence or anything, so I don't think there's any truth to it. But since I hadn't seen anyone talking about that 'leak'/fib here, I thought I'd post it.

I hate the fact that this will be airing on ABC. Ridley is a terrific writer and i'd love to see him get all the freedom that the Netflix guys get. I hate the restraints that come with network television.

Someone on reddit, with no proof that they are legit, was apparently saying that they have inside info that the show is about
Kamala Khan

No evidence or anything, so I don't think there's any truth to it. But since I hadn't seen anyone talking about that 'leak'/fib here, I thought I'd post it.

She seems to new to "reinvent." They are technically still inventing her.

T"Challa;31174457 said:
I hate the fact that this will be airing on ABC. Ridley is a terrific writer and i'd love to see him get all the freedom that the Netflix guys get. I hate the restraints that come with network television.

I haven't seen American Crime Story, but is it all that restrained? It seems like it has a lot of flexibility to tell a story (obviously, subject to the FCC).

I haven't seen American Crime Story, but is it all that restrained? It seems like it has a lot of flexibility to tell a story (obviously, subject to the FCC).

American Crime is a lot darker and not nearly as goofy as SHIELD so I think that might be the tone the SHIELD showrunners were shooting for rather than the network.

Even Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder have really heavy subject matter.

Both Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder are quite absurd, though. But I agree that, with all of those shows, it was the tone selected by the producers of the show, not the network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"