Marvel Developing New TV Show With John Ridley

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
Let the speculation begin: EW has learned that Oscar-winning writer-producer John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) is teaming up with Marvel to develop a mysterious new TV series.

We hear the deal involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property for ABC—but all sides are staying quiet on exactly which title Ridley is adapting.

So, who could it be? Singular hero or multiple heroes? I'm assuming it's seperate from the upcoming Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spin-off.

More here:

Entertainment Weekly

Last edited:
I just hope it's an actual superhero show and not a much more boring show starring much less interesting characters (looking at you, Gotham, SHIELD, and Carter).

If it's half as good as Daredevil or Flash I'll be psyched.

My money is on Blade

Punisher. A Daredevil for network TV

I'd love it if it were Moon Knight. Been angling on that for years now.

I'm expecting a black character, given Ridley's involvement and his previous body of work. Moon Knight and Blade could be real possibilities.

Cloak and Dagger perhaps.

Cloak and Dagger perhaps.

Hadn't thought of that. They were developing that for TV a few years back, so they're clearly interested in the property... Maybe!

After seeing how great Daredevil was able to be on Netflix, I find it hard to get excited about a new show being on ABC. You just get much more freedom on Netflix. Their shows aren't confined to 42 minutes per episode, there aren't any commercials, they don't need to worry about how family-friendly they are, there aren't any hiatuses, you can watch all episodes at once, show doesn't need weekly recaps or procedural elements to accommodate new viewers, etc.

I just thought that after the positive reaction to Daredevil they wouldn't focus on broadcast networks any time soon.. Yes, I realize that Daredevil has spoiled me.

All that being said, I'm still curious. I just hope this isn't The Punisher. Characters like that belong on Netflix. I still shiver thinking about FOX's proposed Punisher series a few years back (cop by day, Punisher by night).

Last edited:
The Netflix model is fine for some things, but not all Marvel TV. It's really nice to have something to watch week to week.

After seeing how great Daredevil was able to be on Netflix, I find it hard to get excited about a new show being on ABC. You just get much more freedom on Netflix. Their shows aren't confined to 42 minutes per episode, there aren't any commercials, they don't need to worry about how family-friendly they are, there aren't any hiatuses, you can watch all episodes at once, show doesn't need weekly recaps or procedural elements to accommodate new viewers, etc.

I just thought that after the positive reaction to Daredevil they wouldn't focus on broadcast networks any time soon.. Yes, I realize that Daredevil has spoiled me.

All that being said, I'm still curious. I just hope this isn't The Punisher. Characters like that belong on Netflix. I still shiver thinking about FOX's proposed Punisher series a few years back (cop by day, Punisher by night).

They want it to be (even if it just network dark) family friendlyish .
What use is it commissioning TV shows as part of strategy of keeping MCU in the eye of the public for as long as possible all the year round .But then limit who gets to see all of your shows while excluding a huge number of younger viewers(and thats where a huge chunk of their money comes from) ,half your episode runs,lose the chance to advertise your crap and then dump the entire load of episodes over 4 or 5 weekends leaving 45 weeks of the year where there is no content.
What we are getting is mixed use .More dark and hardcore stuff on pay to view(stream) for the older age group and 30 odd weeks on network that they can get the most eyes possible on.

If that's the case then they should try an move it to Netflix

Moon Knight and Punisher are probably unreasonable possibilities if they want the show to be more family friendly, these two characters are not good at that.

What do they mean by reinvent? Are they talking about reinventing a character from the comics or one that has already appeared on screen? If it's from comics then I think Cloak & Dagger is a pretty accurate guess. That was one of the shows they had planned since 2010.

However I think it's important to note that DareDevil was still produced by ABC even though it was on Netflix. There's still a chance this might not go straight to the ABC channel.

What do they mean by reinvent? Are they talking about reinventing a character from the comics or one that has already appeared on screen? If it's from comics then I think Cloak & Dagger is a pretty accurate guess. That was one of the shows they had planned since 2010.

However I think it's important to note that DareDevil was still produced by ABC even though it was on Netflix. There's still a chance this might not go straight to the ABC channel.

Was thinking that earlier. Not definitely headed to ABC, but seems likely

Remember that The Hulk was planned for TV at some point? That's a re invent...

He is a movie stablished character, but on the other hand, they can make Hulk movies, so maybe Hulk TV...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"