John Stossel interviews Ron Paul

I know what he said, I watched it three times, and no I don't think certain things should be legal.

-And you would have the chance to vote against anything you thought shouldn’t be legal within your state. But don’t try to force your morals on someone else.

It's the role of the Government at large to promote a common good.

-No it isn’t. The Federal government’s role is to do what is outlined in the constitution. No more no less. They shouldn’t be in the business of imposing their morals on the American citizens through massive across the board legislation.

A while legalizing something doesn't imply they will make you do anything it sends a very distinct message that certain behaviors are "okay" and lack consequences.

-That is your opinion. I don’t base my morals on what the government tells me is good or bad. You can’t butt into everyone’s life and force them to be good people. Obviously, it doesn’t work because there are laws in place that outlaw drugs and yet people still do them. Not to mention the massive black market for illegal drugs that has been created because the Federal government dipped its finger into the pot.

A parent doing heroin has very grave consequences on his or her family, and increases the risk of the child being addicted to that drug.

-I agree. But I think the words you’re looking for instead of "doing heroin" is "addicted to heroin."

He subscribes to a very idealistic, libertarian view of Government. It sounds all rosey and peachy on paper, but most people who attempt to scratch it's surface realize how unrealistic it is.

-As opposed to the over centralized government we have now? That is taking us to the brink of bankruptcy and allowing our citizens to die over seas for nothing. You want these people setting the standard for what the “common good” is, as opposed to the American people?

Since you live in Mexico, I would like to hear your opinion on what you think the US should do regarding the stream of illegal aliens entering the country and what they could do to stop that flow and relax the citizenship process?

well, it's not really up to the US to stop it.
that has to also happen in Mexico, the economy and opportunities in the region have to shift and change to meet the demands of the people.
also, I think Mexico should reward the people that choose to curb their breeding habits, the less children, the more resources the more resources the better taken care off these children are.
the US needs to take a look at the border that it's created with Mexico, the border is an anachronism that needs to be done away with, Isolationism has never worked, it didn't work for Japan and it wouldn't work now.
I mean, think about it this way, I heard on Charlie rose back in 2001 that lower portion of California depends on Mexican tourism and Hispanic cash to the tune of 25 to 30% I was floored when I heard this.
and no doubt if Mexico did it's part to make the area safer and the tourist attractions more appealing the economic effect on BOTH nations would be completely positive.
it's not up to the US to change it's immigration quotas, it's really their right to maintain them as is.
however, if you have a large third world population to the south of you ( Illegal immigration is 50% Mexicans 20% Hispanics from other countries) you really shouldn't be surprised by illegal immigration.
in the end, I believe that borders between the Americas hurts all of us more than it helps our supposed safety or the jobs of our citizens, I mean seriously, a ton of call centers are in India, so this fantasy that removing the illegal immigrant workforce will magically make wages go up is just that.
a fantasy.
citizenship should be for those who've earned it, after 5 to 6 years of staying out of trouble and proving that you can be a productive member of society, surprise, surprise I actually think English tests should be handed to those who want to be citizens in the US.
gasp.
also, politicians need to focus on actual issues, that should be important, about a year ago I was searching for information on the economic impact of illegal immigration as a whole, but it turns out that there was a study made that said that Illegal Immigration in the US helps the economy to the tune of 1% I mean, I know 1% is nothing, but the point is that effect is not detrimental, or even neutral, it's positive by an almost infinitesimal margin.
so, to try and make this some hot button issue?
maneuvering by politicians, far more important things are at stake in your country right now than illegal immigration.

Ooh, south park is on.

so, in closing.....uh...yeah, South Park is on.....

personally i think the entire north american continent should merge as much as possible.

i dont feel like writing a book about this but in short, i agree that isolationism doesnt work.

i am a liberal who isn't afraid to compete with latinos for work, if you can't handle their cheap work ethic then your a spoiled ******* who should go to school. I've washed dishes next to central american warrior and it was like a well oiled machine, throw in todays american wasteland human pussbag and quite frankly... uneducated americans suck at work (as a general rule in my experience) if i was a businessman, id hire all latinos and pay them well.
if they take your jobs, welcome to the real world... its called capitalism, its what your system runs on, and it doesnt care for you anymore.

...jus sayin

It's unconstitutional. See 10th Ammendment.
The primary function of the Department of Education is to enforce privacy and civil rights laws within the educational system an to promote funding for public schools. It has no direct authority over curriculum or accreditation. It's function and existence is entirely defendable under the Commerce clause of the constitution (and in the case of rights, the equal protections clause).

personally i think the entire north american continent should merge as much as possible.

i dont feel like writing a book about this but in short, i agree that isolationism doesnt work.

i am a liberal who isn't afraid to compete with latinos for work, if you can't handle their cheap work ethic then your a spoiled ******* who should go to school. I've washed dishes next to central american warrior and it was like a well oiled machine, throw in todays american wasteland human pussbag and quite frankly... uneducated americans suck at work (as a general rule in my experience) if i was a businessman, id hire all latinos and pay them well.
if they take your jobs, welcome to the real world... its called capitalism, its what your system runs on, and it doesnt care for you anymore.

...jus sayin
That is very well said, I kind of agree with you. Except for the North American Union part, but the Capitalist part, we agree.

then you would be kind fo contradicting yourself.
No I am not, I agree that if someone does a better job, no matter the race, they deserve the job. He did not say that it is an illegal alien doing the job. Only Latino. I don't care who gets the job, if the "uneducated American Worker" under performs, he shouldn't have the job. No Matter what race, this rule applies.

No I am not, I agree that if someone does a better job, no matter the race, they deserve the job. He did not say that it is an illegal alien doing the job. Only Latino. I don't care who gets the job, if the "uneducated American Worker" under performs, he shouldn't have the job. No Matter what race, this rule applies.

No, I mean the North American union.
and while he said latino he was encompassing both legal and illegal immigrants ( I think) that's the genius part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"