Johnny Depp to Play Whitey Bulger in Black Mass

Let me put it this way, if this movie is "Oscar baity," then pretty much every single Scorsese movie ever made is "Oscar baity." And I say that as a HUGE Scorsese fan.

I dunno, there's just something about this movie. Everyone kept on championing the trailer and Depp and when I saw it, it didn't catch my attention. I guess I lost my interest in seeing Depp in anything years ago.

If you cannot even describe what "it" is, then it's kind of hard to take that complaint all that serious.

How is Johnny Depp returning to the form he was known for pre-Pirates of the Caribbean "Oscar Bait"?

Oscar bait has become such an overused term, especially when some people don't use it in the right context.

The King's Speech (very good movie) is Oscar bait. The Danish Girl this year is Oscar bait.

Black Mass is not Oscar bait, it's a gangster movie, with a prestigious ensemble cast for sure, but it's not Oscar bait.

depp_s_bulger_joker_by_billcarson19-d98seqw.jpg

The last 10sec of the trailer, Depp goes full Joker.
https://youtu.be/V5qdxxT-hss

Depp was amazing. This was a haunting but fantastic film. I think he's going to get a nomination, at the very least.

I don't care if a movie is "Oscar baity", all I care about is if it's a good movie.

Refusing to see a movie because it fits a vaguely defined phrase like "Oscar bait" just seems silly to me.

solid film and an amazing performance from Johnny Depp

i definitely think he will get nominated. not too sure if he will win but he is long overdue for an Oscar

Yeah, I caught it last night. A very nuanced role. The trailers have kind of been playing up his crazy, but he was a very meticulous character.

I didn't like it too much. Had a hard time connecting to any of the characters, which kept me from connecting to the movie. Depp was fantastic, but there were times it felt like the movie never elevated itself to where his performance was going.

Depp was fantastic, but there were times it felt like the movie never elevated itself to where his performance was going.
Yeah, I agree. While I liked it, it just didn't grab me as much as I was hoping for. Still a good watch, though.

9/10 Johnny depp was great, acting was great, funnier than I thought it would be, Joel edgerton has had himself a hell of a month

It was so weird hearing Cumberbatch use that Southie accent. It's like, he just looks like that brit voice should be coming out of him. It was interesting though.

Yeah I thought Depp was incredible but the story is standard for true crime pics.

I've seen Depp in more recent pix...it looks like Father Time has finally caught up with him. Or maybe it's just a weight gain.

I just looked it up, and I'm seeing pics of him at a concert he's in, and he looks exactly the same as he always does. So I have no clue as to what you're talking about.

It's not like I said he looks 70 now, but he's starting to age and that's fine. Still good looking.

DEgfJDM.jpg

uJnh5z2.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that. And could be the only thing that makes him a little older. And his beard is kinda greying.

For years..I've stated that Depp sold his soul to the devil, so I'm aware that he's always looked ageless. And he still looks 8-10 years younger than his actual age. Like when he was 40, he still looked 29-32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"