Jon Favreau's Lion King CONFIRMED

Yes, congratulations to everyone for falling for this most ultimate of scams, lol.

So was everyone's problem just the fact that the animals were too realistic and couldn't convey emotion? Or was it that it was too much of a step by step remake of the cartoon? because I didn't see the Jungle Book getting hate nor Beauty and the Beast and for me, they were just as much of a redux of the cartoons. Mulan probably will be, so will Little Mermaid.
So why is Lion King being singled out for so much hate?

It’s the shot for shot remake thing. Also, an all animal cast not technically being live-action. So, a Mulan or Little Mermaid won’t get that kind of pushback because there are live people in it. But if they were to remake, say, Bambi, I’m sure there would be pushback on what’s the point?

It’s the shot for shot remake thing. Also, an all animal cast not technically being live-action. So, a Mulan or Little Mermaid won’t get that kind of pushback because there are live people in it. But if they were to remake, say, Bambi, I’m sure there would be pushback on what’s the point?

Right. Jungle Book and Cinderella also took they’re own path for much of the film with some scenes/homages to the animated movies mixed in, creating a new experience story wise as well.

Overall at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if we get the hand drawn movies remade yet again in like 20 yrs but the twist this time will be that they’re CGI animated.

Last edited:
So was everyone's problem just the fact that the animals were too realistic and couldn't convey emotion? Or was it that it was too much of a step by step remake of the cartoon? because I didn't see the Jungle Book getting hate nor Beauty and the Beast and for me, they were just as much of a redux of the cartoons. Mulan probably will be, so will Little Mermaid.

I haven't actually seen Lion King yet and won't until it reaches the home market, but I can confidently say that at least Jungle Book tried to do its own thing. It took elements from the Disney film, but it wasn't a carbon copy. Beauty and the Beast, on the other hand, I do have the exact same complaints about that I have heard about Lion King. It was just a dull, lifeless rehash. Luke Evans as Gaston was the only member of the principal cast that I thought delivered.

Karma for the white lion.

I'm weeks removed from seeing this at this point, and I am just numb to it. I have to join the bad cop club on this one. This movie just didn't do anything that the cartoon already did, only better. Some stories are better suited to animation than live action, and this is one of them for me. I wish I could have enjoyed this more and said critics were wrong. But I just can't. Critics are spot on with this one. I don't begrudge its success or anything. Disney made it, people saw it. In the end, my opinion doesn't have to align with the popular consensus.

Honestly I walked into this expecting a disaster and honestly it was a cool movie. Yep, it was shot for shot cut and paste job for the most part, yep the original was far and away superior, and yep it was a shameless money grab by the Mouse, but all in all the actual *movie* was good. The voice work was good, the music was good, the visuals were outstanding. This and Aladdin were fine, I'm not sure what people were expecting from a live action remake, but seems like it was far too much.

These movies make a ton of money, so I will never say Disney shouldn't make them. But I have no personal interest in seeing rehashes of the old films. I am intrigued by Mulan.

I finally got around to seeing this.

It was... fine. The story is as engaging as ever and the music is still gorgeous (Outside of that weird Beyonce addition). However, beyond that it felt mechanical, soulless and boring. How they managed to add another 30 minutes on to this thing is beyond me.

All I know is, If I want to watch 'The Lion King' again, it'll always be the 1994 animated version and not this photorealistic thing.

Has anyone else ever heard of Kimba before? Lol shocked I had never heard of this until now

I grew up watching Kimba in the early 1970s! I don't think it got a lot of airplay in the states. It was cute, kinda weird though in parts.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $511,376,102 33.8%
+ Foreign: $1,000,775,374 66.2%
= Worldwide: $1,512,151,476

Will soon be the #7 movie of all time. Not likely to climb more than that.

01. Avengers EndGame -- $2.796,2 mil
02. Avatar --- $2.789,7 mil
03. Titanic --- $2.187,5 mil
04. Star Wars 7 TFA -- $2.068,2 mil
05. Avengers Infinity War -- $2048,4 mil
06. Jurassic World -- $1671,7 mil
07. The Avengers -- $1518,8 mil
08. Furious 7 --- $1516 mil
09. The Lion King -- $1513,5 mil and counting...
10. Avengers AoU -- $1405,4 mil
11. Black Panther -- $1346,9 mil

Last edited:
Goodbye Black Panther.

Eh, flick was just a dusty ass version of the original flick but I liked it for what it was. Probably won't rewatch it any time soon though.

I've already said and made my piece/peace with the movie (I liked it; thought it was different but just as good when accounting for what was lost and gained) but on an unrelated note I will say that I actually really enjoyed The Lion King: The Gift. It's basically the story told in Afrobeat; if you don't care to see the 2019 film I suggest you at least give the album a listen.

Disney got their payout, at this point they like, "Kimba who?"

If back in late 2012 someone told me that a remake of The Lion King would make more money in the BO than The Avengers, I would've laughed straight at them.

But here we are - The Lion King currently sits at $1.6 billion WW.

As much as I thought it was just ok and a complete 1:1 remake to the original, I have to give credit to how amazing its box office run has been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"