Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I can't see this being worse than JP 3.

Now JP 3 was enjoyable when it was released, but in retrospect, the plotting felt like it was a direct-to-video film. It's a JP movie where there's no story to tell, really. It's so small in scope; it's not only a family rescue, the Kirby members are annoyingly written. Plus, all of the human (cannon fodder) deaths happen in one master stroke right they get onto the island and meant nothing. None of the deaths have weight because we never knew who these people were.

And it's weird to see Sam Neil and Laura Dern in this. It doesn't even feel cannon. In fact, it shows how Spielberg IS one of a kind and can't be duplicated, even when he sleepwalked through Lost World.

For it's flaws, The Lost World's plot was driven by corporate greed. At least that's a story worth telling and it made sense since that's the driving force behind the Jurassic Park theme park anyway (along with the misuse of science).

Gotta agree Octoberist, and it really shows because I felt the same way when I was 13 seeing it the first time. Its not about seeing everyone get eaten, but they should have spaced out those early deaths. Not to mention it was so hard to care for any character that wasn't Grant.
I also always complained because JP3's lack of story makes it like a full hour shorter than TLW.
Oddly, despite the somewhat depressing nature, I like the scenes with Ellie and Alan. It just sucks nothing really worked out between them.

I never thought of it, but this Jurassic Park director situation is JUST like Gareth Edwards' hiring with Godzilla: Indie filmmakers with one breakthrough flick with sci-fi elements, then launched into the lions den with major franchises. Both franchises deal with giant lizards as well. :0

Gotta agree Octoberist, and it really shows because I felt the same way when I was 13 seeing it the first time. Its not about seeing everyone get eaten, but they should have spaced out those early deaths. Not to mention it was so hard to care for any character that wasn't Grant.
I also always complained because JP3's lack of story makes it like a full hour shorter than TLW.
Oddly, despite the somewhat depressing nature, I like the scenes with Ellie and Alan. It just sucks nothing really worked out between them.

I think there are elements of Jurassic Park 3 that are interesting but in reality, they're just scenes that were leftovers that were cut out from the previous films. That includes the river scene and the exploration of the cloning labs/facilities. It's not from a creative spark that drives the narrative, but rather, "Let's use the cut stuff from the other movies". JP 3 was known to have script problems and it showed, despite the level of talent involved (Alexander Payne), and had on set rewrites. Frankly, I don't know how much of Payne's work is present in the final script...

Even the concept of the Spinosaur never came off as an organic addition to the franchise. It felt toyatic. Bluntly toyatic. And I know that fans came up with theories about this, but where was the Spinosaurus in The Lost World? Fans said JP3 takes place on the other side of the island, therefore, you have different dinosaurs and a more forresty environment, but I just don't buy it.

Last edited:
I really hated he Spinosaur and Trex confrontation in the beginning it pretty much ruined most of the film for me.

I really hated he Spinosaur and Trex confrontation in the beginning it pretty much ruined most of the film for me.
I always disliked that scene and how they shoved the Spinosaurus down our throats. Hey, a Spino just killed a T-Rex so that means the old poster boy isn't a good as the new one.

I think there are elements of Jurassic Park 3 that are interesting but in reality, they're just scenes that were leftovers that were cut out from the previous films. That includes the river scene and the exploration of the cloning labs/facilities. It's not from a creative spark that drives the narrative, but rather, "Let's use the cut stuff from the other movies". JP 3 was known to have script problems and it showed, despite the level of talent involved (Alexander Payne), and had on set rewrites. Frankly, I don't know how much of Payne's work is present in the final script...

Even the concept of the Spinosaur never came off as an organic addition to the franchise. It felt toyatic. Bluntly toyatic. And I know that fans came up with theories about this, but where was the Spinosaurus in The Lost World? Fans said JP3 takes place on the other side of the island, therefore, you have different dinosaurs and a more forresty environment, but I just don't buy it.
Were there any other theories? Also, unless of course it straight died from being the only one, it'll be just as big an elephant if it doesn't show up this film. I agree with you guys though, I hated the Spino/Rex fight and it just kills the movie for me. I also thing the CGI on the Spino in some shots is horrible compared to the previous films, and the animatronics on the Spino, especially in the plane attack, look really bad in some scenes. I think the river scene looks fantastic but I think a lot of the movements and such during the plane scene look really fake to me.

Ya the cgi in 3 hasn't aged as well as it did in the first two, strangely enough.

Spino should return, but only to be killed by T-rex. let him reign supreme

The laboratory ruins and the aerie were the best scenes in JP3. I don't like the Spino, either. I was hoping the carnotaurus from The Lost World would make an appearance. Their ability to camoflauge themselves, chameleon-like, could create some tastily tense scenes. Especially in a dark, misty environment with lots of debris and rubble. Like a ruined lab or scientists' village on the island.

Grant's research into the velociraptors would have been a more interesting plot hook to get him to the island than being hijacked by the Kirbys.

Laura Dern's Enlightened series has been cancelled by HBO, so that gives her room to do Jurassic Park 4 if they want her back.

Which is not great news for fans for Enlightened..of course.

Id like to hear some of your guys' theories. Is this film going to take place on the same island at the original park, a separate island( kind or like JP3) or on the mainland in another country.

Honestly, I hope they visit set pieces from the first film only aged 20 some years. Can't remember to what extent 2 or 3 visited recognizable places, but it'd be cool to see the visitor's center again.

^ Yeah, I'd like that. As long as they're not pulling a JPIII, and re-treading the story/relying on nostalgia of the first movie.

I don't think this is going to be out next summer. I am thinking August-November if they don't get this moving.

I don't think this is going to be out next summer. I am thinking August-November if they don't get this moving.

Release date is in July. Plenty of time between now and then to film and do post-production.

Release date is in July. Plenty of time between now and then to film and do post-production.

The date is set for June 13, 2014. It'll be a condensed post-production schedule, but as long as they start filming on time (and edit on set), it can be done. Remember, the first JP was shot August 1992, less than a year prior to the film's release.

The film is a big priority for Universal, now that they have a script they and Spielberg agree on. They've been doing prep work, plus renting out stage space in Louisiana, prior to Colin Trevorrow boarding as director.

It's gonna be a reality, but never say never until they start filming.

The date is set for June 13, 2014. It'll be a condensed post-production schedule, but as long as they start filming on time (and edit on set), it can be done. Remember, the first JP was shot August 1992, less than a year prior to the film's release.

The film is a big priority for Universal, now that they have a script they and Spielberg agree on. They've been doing prep work, plus renting out stage space in Louisiana, prior to Colin Trevorrow boarding as director.

It's gonna be a reality, but never say never until they start filming.

Didn't know that, makes me feel a bit better. But then, y'know... JPIII. :O

Didn't know that, makes me feel a bit better. But then, y'know... JPIII. :O

I don't know why Spielberg signed off on that POS script for JP3. Besides, plenty of films have shot with a year or less to their release date and they've turned out fine... The Avengers, X2, Munich (which started filming six months prior to its Christmas release), and so forth.

Of course, plenty of rushed movies turn out bad too... I'm looking at you A Good Day to Die Hard.

I don't know why Spielberg signed off on that POS script for JP3. Besides, plenty of films have shot with a year or less to their release date and they've turned out fine... The Avengers, X2, Munich (which started filming six months prior to its Christmas release), and so forth.

Of course, plenty of rushed movies turn out bad too... I'm looking at you A Good Day to Die Hard.

I'm not too sure on Munich, but I'd say that's because it wasn't as effects heavy as this is bound to be, so we didn't have to worry about that being rushed.

As for Avengers and X2, I think they had their directors in place long before that, didn't they? Where as with this - doing lots of pre-production work while looking for a director to take over mere weeks away from filming... Feels a little Ratner/X3-ish.

Of course, I hope for the best. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija