Just How Important is This Movie?

Infinity9999x

Avenger
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this question a lot lately, and I wanted to pick the minds of my fellow hypers.

We all know that IM2 got a fairly luke warm, to warmish reception. It was overall positive, but nowhere near as well received as it's predecessor. Now only Thor and Captain America are left as the stand alone movies before the big team up in Avengers. So my question is this: How important do you think Thor is to the Avengers?

I've heard a few views. Some think that if this movie is only mildly successful (like TIH) we'll still be okay as long as Cap hits big. Some think that this movie needs to be huge. Either way, I think we can agree that this movie will hold a good amount of influence over the big team up, but the question is just how much?

I think we all know how much is riding on The Avengers. As comic fans, I doubt any of us expected to see movies create one big universe that was all interconnected like the comics (I certainly never did). But I think we also know that if Avengers bombs, we can pretty much say goodbye to something like this ever happening again.

I think Thor is rather pivotal in this equation. I happen to believe that Captain America will probably do fairly well (in America anyways), but since Cap is the leader type, a lot rests on the rest of the Avengers cast. We already know that the gen. public loves Tony Stark, but I think for Avengers to be a smash hit, we need another character that the public loves just as much, or nearly as much. And I think it needs to be Thor. If Thor doesn't strike a good chord with the viewers, I think we could be in trouble. But that's just my opinion.

So, what do you think?

Depends on how you look at "Important".
If you think about it Odin has collected all these artifacts that would harm the universe. These artifacts don't HAVE to be explained right off but you have an understanding that there's a threat with Loki and those artifacts.
So on it's own I think the Thor movies will be needed in the future Avengers films to explain away some things to the non Hero fan.
As for Thor's own stories There are alot of stories on there own that would be very attractive to everyone.

not very important. world peace doesn't necesserily depend on it.

but I hope it does well, that would make it much easier for Avengers

If people don't buy into Thor/Asgard then The Avengers could really suffer.

Plus if Thor can't hit it big, I'm sure Marvel will be hesitiant to put big money in any 'outlandish' characters.

This movie is huge. Can't put all your chips into Captain America. It needs to do Inception type numbers to guarantee something substantial long term.

This movie is huge. Can't put all your chips into Captain America. It needs to do Inception type numbers to guarantee something substantial long term.

I'd agree with that. Inception/Iron Man numbers is what I'm hoping Thor can pull off. Like I was saying earlier, the general public has to be interested in the supporting cast, and Thor is going to be one of the big players in Avengers.

However, I do think Cap needs to hit huge too, because one problem if Thor does get hugely popular and Cap just kinda does all right, is that the general public won't want to see Thor or Tony play second fiddle to Cap if they don't like the character that much.

I think Inception/Iron Man is too high a bar. I'm sure Marvel would be over the moon with Star Trek numbers domestically.

I think it's pretty important. If it does poorly we can kiss many smaller movies goodbye

I'm thinking this movie's (& Cap's) success holds the fate to Avenger's success & how much freedom Disney gives to Marvel in the movie department.

If this movie is as good as it looks, it will easily pull in Iron Man/Inception numbers.

I'm thinking this movie's (& Cap's) success holds the fate to Avenger's success & how much freedom Disney gives to Marvel in the movie department.

If this movie is as good as it looks, it will easily pull in Iron Man/Inception numbers.

I certainly hope so, but I do agree that I think Marvel would most likely be happy with Star Trek numbers too.

I think both this and CA will be pretty crucial movies for Marvel´s overall plan of setting up The Avengers. If their only really successful solo film franchise is Iron Man, there´s not that much of a point in making a team-up movie.

This said, I have so far a lot of confidence in Thor from what I´ve seen. The movie looks good and the SDCC footage helped to build up hype for it. CA is a bigger question mark at this point, especially when it comes to overseas market, but the character is still one of the iconic superheroes and Joe Johnston is an experienced, skilled director.

One thing I think Marvel needs to tone down is putting tie-in elements in the solo movies. For a mainstream, non-fanboy audience, these elements can become distracting and annoying. That was a big reason for the lukewarm response to IM2.

I think both this and CA will be pretty crucial movies for Marvel´s overall plan of setting up The Avengers. If their only really successful solo film franchise is Iron Man, there´s not that much of a point in making a team-up movie.

This said, I have so far a lot of confidence in Thor from what I´ve seen. The movie looks good and the SDCC footage helped to build up hype for it. CA is a bigger question mark at this point, especially when it comes to overseas market, but the character is still one of the iconic superheroes and Joe Johnston is an experienced, skilled director.

One thing I think Marvel needs to tone down is putting tie-in elements in the solo movies. For a mainstream, non-fanboy audience, these elements can become distracting and annoying. That was a big reason for the lukewarm response to IM2.

What ultimatefan just said^:up:

Surfer

I'd say very, but not so much because of Thor as because of Loki. When you think about it, none of the other movies have used a really big villain, and if we're going to move into something as involved as the Avengers, we're going to need a central villain. Loki fits that bill, especially considering that he was responsible for the Avengers getting together in the first place.

I don't think it's important at all to the actual production of Avengers. That movie looks like it's going ahead regardless of what happens with any of its predecessors. But as an indicator of how well Avengers could potentially do and a test of how receptive audiences are to some of the bigger scale ideas inherent in the Avengers franchise, it's probably the most important of that movie's predecessors, especially if they're working a lot of the familiar sci fi and mystical artifacts from the comics into the movies via the Asgardians. If audiences can't buy that in a movie centered on Thor, I doubt they'd be able to buy it in Avengers.

I think as fans, who are eager and willing to obsessively track the progress of these films, we worry much more worry about their critical and financial success than truly necessary. There really has been no indicators that this film is going in the wrong direction. General audiences aren't going to nitpick the living hell out of a) changes from the source material, b) suspension of belief or c) whether the actors matched the characters they are portraying. The majority of international movie watchers just want to indulge in a fun, fantasy flick. In my opinion, that's where IM2 went "wrong" (and I use that term as a generalization because I personally enjoyed it just as much as the first). The first film had a simple, straight to the point storyline. Basically, it was easy to follow. Most of the non-comic book readers I've talked to about IM2 have complained that the focus of the film was lacking; which is understandable since it was basically used as a bridge between films and not a stand alone story.

I have a feeling that, with the combination of Thor, Cap and GL, next year will have the most financially lucrative summer of movies in ages. Those three films are stand alone, origin stories; which movie goers eat up in terms of comic book adaptations.

Last edited:
Given the release date, Marvel Banner, hype promotion parade that this movie will have going for it's pretty likely this movie will open up Summer and be the typical 100 + Million opener that comes with the territory.

It's new and different and will attract a dichotomy audience.

Girls who think Hemsworth is dreamy - Check
Fantasy nuts who will see the sets and wonder what this movie is all about
Comic book fan nuts of the Marvel ilk who will see this movie just to set up thier desire to see Captain America 2 months late
General Action movie fans who desire to see the first big movie of the summer.

- Now place on top of that some really fantastic cast member the high proabability that this is going to an epic kind of film and you have the makings of 400 + Million domesitic take. If it lives up to what we all think it's going to be.

Why people think Cap will do more than Thor is beyond me. Don't forget Thor holds the May opening sweet spot. Even crappy movies like Wolverine do well in that weekend.

Cuz Cap is way more recognizable here in th US maybe.

But Cap is out the week after Deathly Hallows II which is sure to be a monster.

I think both Thor and Cap are being overpredicted but I'm certain Thor will gross more domestic and worldwide.

But Cap is out the week after Deathly Hallows II which is sure to be a monster.

I think both Thor and Cap are being overpredicted but I'm certain Thor will gross more domestic and worldwide.

Wait, Cap is out the week after DH2? To paraphrase Batman "Are they dense? Are they ******ed?"

That movies is going to be huge. HUGE. Why in the HELL would you even think of releasing a movie anywhere near that monster? Harry Potter is this generations Star Wars, and the last film of that series is going to be ridiculous. I'm honestly extremely pissed at Marvel right now.

Maybe they figure Harry Potter fans are so obsessed that they'll all watch it that first weekend and then be open to watching something else the next weekend. Or... yeah, I don't know. :o

Yeah, I've been concerned about Cap's chances versus HP8 ever since that date was announced.

Add to that that the weekend Cap opens is also SDCC, and even the film's core fanbase may be busy. (Of course, I'm also sure there'll be Cap screenings all over comic con, but that won't help its box office take)

Maybe they figure Harry Potter fans are so obsessed that they'll all watch it that first weekend and then be open to watching something else the next weekend. Or... yeah, I don't know. :o

The good news is that the new HP won't make more money than usual domestically. It's never made more than 300$ million in that area,as in 400$ million and up,and maybe by chance. It could under-perform if enough people are actually sick of the Harry Potter movies. But yeah,releasing TFA:CA after the first week release of HP 7 Part 1 isn't a bright idea,that's most likely an automatic suicide for a shot at the number 1 weekend spot for that second week. I just noticed that the last two Harry Potter movies have had the weakest box office openings,with 77$ million+ representing both of them.

Last edited:
$300M isn't much money?

And this is the finale, I'll eat a baby if it isn't the highest grossing one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"