Just How Important is This Movie?

Yeah that's something that goes on in these boards all the time. The comic readers of today disregard what came before and just want what's recent be shown. When I started reading comics in the early 80's I was always interested in the 60's and 70's stuff as well.

I started reading comics shortly after Simonson's run ended and long, long after Kirby's run ended, but I've made a point of reading every Thor comic I can find. So I've now read a good percentage of Thor, including the entirety of Kirby and Simonson's runs, and they are absolutely some of the best comics Thor's had. More importantly, they're probably the two most influential runs that inform who Thor is and why at this point. :up:

It's definitely one of the most important Marvel projects out - I'd say it tops their two 'iconic' characters (as far as films go) - Spidey and IM. Why? Because with THOR you have that connection with mythology, arguably the singular aspect that the superhero descended from. It's also a bold step towards FANTASY - a step away from realism but not completely outlandish (at least, as far the premise goes). So yes, it's definitely one of the most important superhero movies coming out. Branagh was brave. I'd be hard pressed to follow up on any mythology-based films after the disaster made by his Marvel colleague Louis Leterrier on CLASH OF THE TITANS. Can't wait for this.

The First Avenger is equally important because it's arguably the first GOLDEN AGE superhero film out there. These are more than just origins for their respective superheroes, it's the origin of the superhero (archetype/genre etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"