Justice League Justice League Box Office Prediction - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s kind of sad if this can’t open higher than Ragnarok. But I guess the novelty of the trinity being on screen together for the first time was wasted in BvS.

It’s kind of sad if this can’t open higher than Ragnarok. But I guess the novelty of the trinity being on screen together for the first time was wasted in BvS.
There's the novelty of the Justice League, which apparently doesn't count for much anymore. The BvS backlash is something else, I've really underestimated how much it's affected things.

It was said that the success of WW would give JL a big boost. It seemed that way for a while, and I think it would have given a bigger boost if JL came out next year. But WW just left theaters a few weeks ago, hard to imagine many people jonesing for more WW already. The bad taste of BvS is also too fresh, waiting until next year would have also helped with that. Meanwhile, nothing in 2018 until Aquaman in December. WB is in such a hurry to catch up to the MCU that they can't think straight.

Marvel Studios releasing The Avengers first hurt as well, especially since it's been two Avengers film already.

Taking away the "heroes coming together" novelty factor.

Last edited:
Marvel Studios releasing The Avengers first hurt as well, especially since it's been two Avengers film already.

Absolutely, JL has the appearance right now to the general public as being the "also-rans". But it's not just who came first, it's the execution. X-Men and Fantastic Four had their shots long before The Avengers.

Who would've thought 20 years ago that the top superhero group in films would be, not X-Men, not Justice League, not Fantastic Four, but The Avengers?

Absolutely, JL has the appearance right now to the general public as being the "also-rans". But it's not just who came first, it's the execution. X-Men and Fantastic Four had their shots long before The Avengers.

Who would've thought 20 years ago that the top superhero group in films would be, not X-Men, not Justice League, not Fantastic Four, but The Avengers?

Well the X-Men and Fantastic Four films didn't bring heroes together from other stand alone films. None of them are stand alone heroes with their own fan base like the member of The Avengers and Justice League.

If that number stands then I expect the biggest Hollywood story to be AT&T firing nearly every one at WB when the deal goes through at the end of the year.

Yeah the Avengers took away the team up novelty. Coming in second does have its drawbacks

If that number stands then I expect the biggest Hollywood story to be AT&T firing nearly every one at WB when the deal goes through at the end of the year.

WB's had a really good year outside of JL (edit: which could still perform well for all know) so I doubt that will be the case.

Last edited:
T"Challa;35968691 said:
Yeah the Avengers took away the team up novelty. Coming in second does have its drawbacks

I almost wish they would've came out the same year or atleast within a year or two of each other.

Why two years? DC could've had a Justice League film twenty years before MCU even existed. They had the property. They didn't care.

WB's had a really good year outside of JL (edit: which could still perform well for all know) so I doubt that will be the case.

I think it'll still happen regardless. AT&T would want their people in the mix

And you know what? I hope they do. I don't mean firing literally everyone, but there needs to be a serious clean up with the section of the studio involved with these movies. This franchise has been grossly and carelessly mismanaged since Day 1. Also Kevin Tsujihara needs to go.

The coming together thing could've still been incredibly appealing but DC jumped the shark by having almost the entire Justice League assemble in BvS.

They should've just copied the MCU formula. Build up each character in their own franchise then later make their team up a mega event.

Imagine if there were great Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern DCEU solo films in addition to Wonder Woman. And this was the first time they shared the screen.

You'd be looking at 200 m OW easy.

Well, this would be awful and probably assure certain people never work on a DC film again.

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league-box-office/

... oh and please don't try and spin it as okay because higher than Wonder Woman ... it's awful if it comes to pass as it would be a 35-40% drop from BvS.

Yeesh. Those are not good numbers. I guess the backlash of BVS is stronger than the goodwill of WW.

The coming together thing could've still been incredibly appealing but DC jumped the shark by having almost the entire Justice League assemble in BvS.

They should've just copied the MCU formula. Build up each character in their own franchise then later make their team up a mega event.

Imagine if there were great Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern DCEU solo films in addition to Wonder Woman. And this was the first time they shared the screen.

You'd be looking at 200 m OW easy.
BvS' initial numbers proved the big audiences were ready to come, and that was already coming off a highly divisive film. Had these moves gotten good receptions and acclaim, the trajectory of MOS>BvS>JL would've been hugely successful for WB and done in half the time Marvel took. The missteps weren't the plan, but the execution.

‘Justice League’ To Prevail Around The World With $325M+ Start – Box Office Preview
by Anthony D'Alessandro
and Nancy Tartaglione
November 14, 2017 7:14pm

Theatrical moviegoing in all its zenith will continue to occur for the third weekend in a row as Warner Bros.’ ten-years-in-the-making DC superhero team-up Justice League finally opens to $325M-$355M worldwide propped by 4,040 stateside locations and a day-and-date global launch that includes China. Among all-time global openings Justice League‘s projection lands it above the debuts of Suicide Squad ($267M) and Deadpool ($264.7M) and just below Iron Man 3 ($372.5M). Broken out that’s $11oM-$120M at the domestic box office and anywhere from $215M-$235M overseas.

hy ten years in the making? Because that’s when Warner Bros. first began cracking the idea to do a Justice League movie. Unfortunately, the 2007-2008 WGA Strike prevented the movie from going forward. Soon after the release of Zack Snyder’s 2013 Man of Steel, the current iteration of Justice League began brewing. First off a David Goyer script, and then they pursued Chris Terrio as they were impressed by his Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice script. By April 2014, Snyder committed to direct. During production, as has been widely reported, Snyder had a family tragedy and Joss Whedon stepped in to do reshoots, finish post production and ultimately earned a screenplay credit with Terrio.

Given how Thor: Ragnarok rallied and how last weekend’s counter-programming crop of Daddy’s Home 2 and Murder on the Orient Express overindexed, don’t be surprised if Justice League overperforms stateside. Not just because of the renewed vibrancy in the marketplace, but also because of the halo from Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman which was the highest grossing film of the summer at the domestic B.O. with $412.6M. That female superhero movie became something anthemic for young girls and women who fueled the title to become the highest grossing live action film for a female director both worldwide ($821.8M) and in its domestic opening ($103.2M). Feeding into this fervor, the Justice League trailers post San Diego Comic-Con have featured a scene showing Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman saving a school children from menacing terrorists in London. Hence, it comes as no surprise to see that in a recent Fandango poll, 84% of those who plan on attending this weekend saw Wonder Woman this summer, with many potential moviegoers yearning to see Gadot and Jason Momoa’s Aquaman on the big screen. Advance ticket sales for Justice League at this point in time are outpacing Wonder Woman.

Today there was some noise about Justice League‘s Rotten Tomatoes score being held up until Thursday at 12:01AM after an embargo lifts later tonight. While that’s plus for Warner Bros. especially after fanboys ganged up and beat up Snyder’s Batman v. Superman at 27% Rotten, the real reason for the delay has to do with a new Rotten Tomatoes Facebook show See It/Skip It on which Justice League’s RT score will be revealed. STXfilms’ A Bad Moms Christmas employed the same PR stunt prior to their first Friday on Nov. 3.

In the U.S. and Canada, Justice League will have all the superpowers of 400 Imax locations, 600 premium large format screens, 200 motion seat venues, 200 Dine-In locations, 60 drives-ins with 83% of the pic’s theater count also offering 3D showtimes.

Offshore exchange rate swings, particularly in the UK following the June 2016 Brexit vote, and also in Latin America (which reps as much as a 38% change in some currencies), may push the dollar result down on Justice League versus its most obvious comp, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. But, there is a belief that this Avengers-style gathering could get up to BVS levels. That film bowed to $254M in a 2016 release off of huge anticipation for the caped guys’ face-off. Stripping out Japan (where Justice League doesn’t open this weekend) would land the BVS opening at $250M in historical rates. Deadline understands that translates to about $220M in today’s dollars.

Still some watchers think everyone should take a chill-pill against that opening and are skewing far downward, suggesting the ‘new’ characters of Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash, are not a built-in draw. Others see Justice League as an opportunity to stand Bruce Wayne’s alter-ego alongside Diana Prince’s Wonder Woman, which would push the opening gross up. Wonder Woman lassoed $125M in 55 markets in June this year. Fewer markets mean the comp is not apples-to-apples, but again the Gadot halo factor is expected to factor in overseas as well. And that may be a part of what could send this gathering closer to the BVS realm.

The main comp here is still Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice which was front-loaded at 47% of its opening weekend contributing to a $543M international final. Also, it opened over Easter weekend in 2016. That’s a holiday in much of the world. This coming frame’s domestic Thanksgiving period does not translate abroad. When BVS launched in 2016, it was the No. 5 best opener ever at the overseas box office. It has since been surpassed by The Fate Of The Furious this year.

China, of course, is a swing here. It’s coming off, as is the rest of the world, Thor: Ragnarok which has been playing for a few weeks. It’s at $95M+ through Sunday in the Middle Kingdom. There’s room for Justice League to muscle in. BVS had a nearly $58M opening there in 2016, but never reached $100M. Late last month, the Super Friends flew over to the Middle Kingdom to premiere the pic there and hold a press tour. In the U.K., as far as Justice League promotions, Jason Mamoa (Aquaman) cut a fine figure on Graham Norton’s UK couch last week and last night the Hollywood premiere was held with the red carpet live streamed on YouTube. There was a London premiere too.

China, nevertheless was BVS’ top overseas play followed by the UK, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and France. (Early French buzz on Justice League, which bows there first on Wednesday, is very positive).

Thor 3 is also a natural comp given its proximity to the Justice League opening. It’s still in play, coming out of its 3rd international frame well on its way across $500M, besting its predecessors and many stablemates. China is its top play, followed by the UK, Korea, Australia, and Brazil.

Wonder Woman also acts as a comp given the DC heroine features squarely in the middle of the League. Her top markets were China, Brazil, the UK, Australia and Mexico. And her final offshore gross was $409.2M.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/justice...l-gadot-global-box-office-opening-1202207757/

The marketing campaign simply wasn't good enough as well. People are simply not viewing this an "event"movie on par with Avengers etc.

Plus I think November is a strange release date. People are Christmas shopping now. They are saving their money for that. So a film released now isn't critic proof.

If it was released at Christmas, might be a different story. But no one can take on Star Wars... not even the MCU.

The marketing campaign simply wasn't good enough as well. People are simply not viewing this an "event"movie on par with Avengers etc.

Plus I think November is a strange release date. People are Christmas shopping now. They are saving their money for that. So a film released now isn't critic proof.

If it was released at Christmas, might be a different story. But no one can take on Star Wars... not even the MCU.

Your main point about the release time is valid. I don't think November is a optimal time for people who aren't already committed to seeing JL. There are many distractions and financial commitments this time of year, but I'm wondering if WB was more way of putting JL out in the same time frame as Infinity War rather than Star Wars.

Let's be honest though, how visually appealing did the film look in the trailers? Putting aside personal preferences for a second, if you're Joe Public and disliked BvS what exactly about JL would make you want to give the follow up a second chance?

Let's be honest though, how visually appealing did the film look in the trailers? Putting aside personal preferences for a second, if you're Joe Public and disliked BvS what exactly about JL would make you want to give the follow up a second chance?

Exactly.

This looks like a direct sequel of BvS which had amongst the worse legs in CBM history.

Why two years? DC could've had a Justice League film twenty years before MCU even existed. They had the property. They didn't care.

I would've liked them to come out around the same time is what I was saying.

Gonna have to wait for reviews to get a better feel. So far the movie's getting a "it's fine, typical big superhero blockbuster", but not the "you need to go out and see this" type of reaction.

That's the vibe I got with the social media reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"