Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at WB's track record with their properties since '04, they've let filmmakers create a unique vision for each one.
Except Harry Potter. You know, their biggest franchise.

Filmmaking by committee can work great when the committee is composed of genuine creatives who care about the property instead of studio hacks.

the Potter films were great, but J.K. Rowling pretty much had total control over the production, including the right to approve the directors chosen and had final editing rights on the screen play.

The Nolan films were great because Nolan and Goyer had final say so.

Green Lantern was a cluster **** because no one was in charge, no one really cared, and in the end they ran out of their budget and had to ship the film so it was thrown together. I think Bob the movie guy said it the best, "it's the cheapest looking 200M dollar movie ever."

Yeah they really lowballed Robert Downey Jr. didn't they? He only got a 50M dollar bonus.:o

That 50 million wasn't outright, it is from backend profits. If avengers didn't make the money it did he would not have made that much. Just another example of you seeing what you want to see when it comes to marvel.

That 50 million wasn't outright, it is from backend profits. If avengers didn't make the money it did he would not have made that much. Just another example of you seeing what you want to see when it comes to marvel.
Meaning they negotiated backend into his contract, which is pretty standard practice. The rest of the cast made 4-6M as well. Really strapped for cash.

Some of y'all take this fanboy wars stuff so seriously. I know this is the JL board but does every other post really need to be pissing and moaning about Marvel?

Meaning they negotiated backend into his contract, which is pretty standard practice. The rest of the cast made 4-6M as well. Really strapped for cash.

Some of y'all take this fanboy wars stuff so seriously. I know this is the JL board but does every other post really need to be pissing and moaning about Marvel?

:up:

I dont think its so much about pissing and moaning as it is valid criticisms about marvel and what approach WB will take. But I guess those can't be had here on a message board to discuss opinions..

This is all very exciting but I feel like WB is just going to end up breaking my heart.

This is all very exciting but I feel like WB is just going to end up breaking my heart.

:funny:

I doubt that after the mega success of Avengers, Time Warner's board members will let WB movie execs go slow on DC heroes movies.

At least Marvel is doing some thing constructive here. :oldrazz:

You need to get your panties out of a bunch. The accusation was Marvel was cheap. Well they spent 250 million making Avengers so that's not cheap.

No kidding that it was paid because of how well Avengers did, that's what a bonus is. How much have they paid him in salary over the last few films?

Sure there are valid criticisms of Marvel. I'm a little upset with the director choice for Captain America 2, but with their track record I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. If this were a Marvel property at Fox (who is undoubtedly cheap), I'd be alot more skeptical.

The accusation of Marvel being cheap first came up because of Terrance Howard. It's been well documented Howard was being an ass in negotiations and they found another actor to do the same job for the same price. It's called having a budget.

My belief is Marvel Studios took risks (Iron Man, The Avengers) and played it safe (Captain America, Thor) when it came to their films. And it paid off greatly. All I hope for is WB learning from their previous mistakes and going in their own creative route when approaching The Justice League.

WB took it's first steps by giving Nolan (The Governor) more creative freedom for its DC's properties. That's a fantastic start.

My belief is Marvel Studios took risks (Iron Man, The Avengers) and played it safe (Captain America, Thor) when it came to their films. And it paid off greatly. All I hope for is WB learning from their previous mistakes and going in their own creative route when approaching The Justice League.

WB took it's first steps by giving Nolan (The Governor) more creative freedom for its DC's properties. That's a fantastic start.

i agree with this especially the last bit

I doubt Nolan will be too involved moving forward. To be honest I'd prefer he make his own films than focus on producing others' films anyway.

I agree completely, but I still think WB giving a director as much control that they gave Nolan is good.

I doubt Nolan will be too involved moving forward. To be honest I'd prefer he make his own films than focus on producing others' films anyway.

Exactly, Nolan wanted to make Batman films. I know he worked as a producer/writer on MoS, but he probably doesn't care all that much. Inception was his reward for TDK, which is the type of film he really wants to make.

Also I could see him going back to more independent type films like Memento. He is not really a comic book guy.

You need to get your panties out of a bunch. The accusation was Marvel was cheap. Well they spent 250 million making Avengers so that's not cheap.

Haha, this is funny coming from you. If I'm not mistaken you were the one who was getting all worked up when people had valid criticisms of Iron Man 2. But regardless I don't really care to continue this conversation, this is the justice league thread.

I agree completely, but I still think WB giving a director as much control that they gave Nolan is good.
There are two sides to every coin. They gave Nolan a ton of freedom and we got The Dark Knight, they gave Singer a ton of freedom and we got Superman Returns.

The most important thing is they find the right guy to helm it.

Christopher will probably give suggestions about the talent (directors and actors) and stories. I think that's all. Jonah and David will probably be more involved than Chris, in the end.

Both are still fantastic pick ups though. David and Jonah are a great duo.

Last edited:

I keep hearing that Marvel "played it safe" with Thor and Cap. That's just hyperbole. You take risk on any film project. They hired Antony Hopkins and Hugo Weaving, two grade A actors, took a chance on Hemsworth who really had nothing under his belt other than a bit part in Star Trek, and Evans who was known mostly for the F4 movies, and alot of people thought was a weak choice.

I agree it was good to give Nolan creative freedom and it gave him some great films. I don't think he's someone that should do all their properties, and I don't think he'd be a guy to do Justice League. To me Nolan's best film remains Memento, because it's not a special effects film, but a film about character and story telling.

Like I said in the other JL thread. Jonah and Goyer are the ones who are incredibly familiar with these characters not necessarily Christopher Nolan. They're the ones who always brush up Chris on the Batman comics/animated series so he can apply aspects he likes from them.

They should be the ones to spearhead these projects when it comes to an overall strategy as they're very familiar with these characters. Christopher Nolan & Emma Thomas can help in the gathering talent and that's about it. That's already a much better plan than whatever they were doing with Green Lantern.

I keep hearing that Marvel "played it safe" with Thor and Cap. That's just hyperbole. You take risk on any film project. They hired Antony Hopkins and Hugo Weaving, two grade A actors, took a chance on Hemsworth who really had nothing under his belt other than a bit part in Star Trek, and Evans who was known mostly for the F4 movies, and alot of people thought was a weak choice.

It's not hyperbole to me. Cap and Thor were nothing but assembly line CBMs, and average ones. You dont have to agree with my views (I'm not here to bash Marvel) but I'm being completely honest. Yes, Marvel took a massive risk on Hemsworth but they didn't do squat with Weaving. He's Marvel's most poorly written villain to date.

To me, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers are Marvel Studios' best. The rest are subpar and/or bland.

I agree it was good to give Nolan creative freedom and it gave him some great films. I don't think he's someone that should do all their properties, and I don't think he'd be a guy to do Justice League. To me Nolan's best film remains Memento, because it's not a special effects film, but a film about character and story telling.

We don't know WHAT Nolan will be spearheading yet but you're jumping the gun a bit. Like Craig stated, it'll probably be Jonah and David that will be working with WB more closely than Christopher will.

There are two sides to every coin. They gave Nolan a ton of freedom and we got The Dark Knight, they gave Singer a ton of freedom and we got Superman Returns.

The most important thing is they find the right guy to helm it.

Yeah this is true also

It's not hyperbole to me. Cap and Thor were nothing but assembly line CBMs, and average ones. You dont have to agree with my views (I'm not here to bash Marvel) but I'm being completely honest. Yes, Marvel took a massive risk on Hemsworth but they didn't do squat with Weaving. He's Marvel's most poorly written villain to date.

To me, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers are Marvel Studios' best. The rest are subpar and/or bland.

If you liked those three best, I can understand. To say Thor and Cap were "assembly line" is hyperbole. Especially for Thor which is pretty much straight off the pages of the book, the look the mythos the characterization, going back between Earth and Asgard.

Weaving worst written villian to date? You don't seriously mean that. remember Dr. Doom?

If you liked those three best, I can understand. To say Thor and Cap were "assembly line" is hyperbole. Especially for Thor which is pretty much straight off the pages of the book, the look the mythos the characterization, going back between Earth and Asgard.

There's nothing hyperbolic being stated here. They are what they are. Thor and Captain America were just introductory films for the characters being featured in The Avengers (Point A to Point B movies). Hence, the assembly line description. I didn't see them as anything else after watching them.

Weaving worst written villian to date? You don't seriously mean that. remember Dr. Doom?

I'm referring to Marvel Studios released films.

There's nothing hyperbolic being stated here. They are what they are. Thor and Captain America were just introductory films for the characters being featured in The Avengers (Point A to Point B movies). Hence, the assembly line description. I didn't see them as anything else after watching them.

I'm referring to Marvel Studios released films.

Kinda OT: I think Vanko and Hammer were written worse

Marvel Studios did play things safe when it comes to the individual movies (but overall they did not because each film was a build-up to The Avengers, which was a massive risk) but it doesn't really matter because they focused on what was important; the characters and getting the audience to like those characters, which every Marvel movie except TIH did superbly.

This isn't like how WB played it safe with Green Lantern and it crashed and burned because it had nothing that made the Marvel films successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"