Keeping geekiness hidden

Any action figures I buy now are for display purposes.

I only have a few now, its not like I have a book shelf filled with them.
I think Seinfeld's Superman statue at least proves that very limited action figure displaying is completely acceptable.

I think as long as the figures are nice to look at, that helps.

I have comics/graphic novels shipped to my work lol

Im also a 3D artist, so we are all geeks/nerds here. All my friends know I love comics. I dont really have a need to hide it.

Except to be honest if I really like a girl and we are just starting to get to know each other now that I think about it. That may be something I ease into instead of being like "WANT TO SEE MY COMICS!?"

There's no need to keep geekiness hidden.

I'm subtle about it. If comics or general superhero talk comes up in a conversation I'll speak up. There's a time and a place for everything. At old jobs there'd always be THAT guy that would never shut up about it. And he'd just annoy anyone that came into contact with him. And once you revealed you have similar interests they'd latch onto you and just suck the patience right out of you.

My current job we're all just big 'ol geeks. Our desks are adorned with action figures. Every Tuesday we get together and play heroclix. Wednesdays on our break we all carpool to the comic store. We talked about the X-men comic to movie differences for about 45 minutes straight yesterday. We talked about Jurassic Park all this morning.

It's a comfortable environment.

I have some comic/superhero shirts as well that I wear regularly. As well as comic tattoos.

Being a geek has not only become accepted in the past decade or so, but it's become cool. In high school I was one of those kids that slipped in between the cracks. I was poked at here and there for my geekiness. But I didn't care. A lot of geeks get shafted with the tired "acne ridden virgin living in the moms basement" schtick.

Sure...some are. But most aren't. I've noticed at a lot of big cons that many guests consist of couples or families. Which is interesting.

I own a ton of comics and trades. I subscribe and read them regularly. I have a large action figure collection. I play heroclix every week. And I post on a superhero message board for the past 9 years.

People can judge. But I also I'm in a very committed relationship with a beautiful girl. I have an amazing sex life with said girl. I earn great money doing what I love. And I have a six pack.

Know your role and shut your mouth haters. Be you.

Ok I am game!
Hahah I have always been "out!" And I tell you brother! Growing up when this ^&* wasn't cool was no picnic! That's kinda now why I feel like jackie robinson of the geek set!
People always knew but I learn to turn that down talking to chicks(really all they want is for you to ask them about their lives and crap!) Not about how many forms of kryptonite there is! it seemed to have worked!
I wear superhero shirts all the time gym,Grocery store.. what have you.now I just look like every other civilian who watched "Avengers". I don't wear em to work. Only cause there this one guy who probably got beat up and now wants to get back at people! There's always one! I would hate to knock his ass out at work.so why give him material. Better to avoid all that!

Really the biggest grief I have seen is from you guys who think old guys shouldn't wear that stuff...which I find quite ironic! hehe

Last edited:
I keep it hidden now most of the time. due to the fact that my friends have given me merciless grief whenever I don't shut up about my geekiness. (See sig)

Just because someone likes geeky things doesn't mean they have to act geeky, haha.

I wave my geek flag proudly.
As do I. I used to hide it with my life. The thought of anyone knowing I read comics mortified me (hence my old username). However, in time I accepted that being interesting is much better than being a sheep.

What scares me the most is that when it happens, when it comes over me, when I totally geek out... I like it.

Yeh, I suppose I fly it proud. I mean I get my comics delivered to my work and read them on break. I've bought comic related magazines with creator interviews in them and read them at work. They even confused one girl who discovered that women can write comics!

I dunno, I suppose at work, with it mostly being young girls (18 - 24), they're always *****ing about not having enough money for holidays, or about celebrity crap. It's not like my tpics ever come up, but if I said somehting like "anyone hear about the Mars Rover discovering actual proof of life?!" they'd just all look at me blankly like it means nothing.

So, I'm not against hiding it, but I'm against idiots...

Just because someone likes geeky things doesn't mean they have to act geeky, haha.
Yeah.

I'm a little confused as to whether we're saying having a geeky interest is the same as acting like a geek. Clearly two separate things.

I am forced to work around mostly high school kids, but they don't give me any grief when I walk in with a My Little Pony shirt on, so I'd say I let it fly when I can.

I dont' hide my geekiness (for example at work) and luckily, I'm a very sociable and likable guy so it's not a problem. I'm well rounded enough that I can talk about anything even if the person I talk to isn't geeky. If it's not about nerd stuff, we can talk about politics or just life.

I found one of these at FYE and wore it at the fitness center for my run, and people actually knew what it was referencing. So I don't feel AS bad about it now.

t-shirt-firefly-bring-back-sponge-print1-e1353060449749.jpg

Not really. It's who I am. There's really no reason for me to hide it unless you're ashamed of it. I'm not. If a chick or anyone can't handle me reading some comic books or having some action figures, probably someone I don't want to deal with anyway.

I don't really see a situation where I would have to go out of my way to hide it either.

This.

I'm not out parading my geekiness, but I'm not afraid at all to let it out when the moment calls for it. I think it's funny when people are caught off-guard seeing how geeky I really am.

Also, geek culture is so big right now. But it's a generational thing too. If you're working with people from Gen x (Mostly later half), y, and soon Gen Z then they're more in tuned with it where as a baby boomer wouldn't

Yeah, geek culture is huge right now and will only get bigger in the next 3 years. More and more people aren't afraid to talk about things like superheroes or Star Wars than ever before.

There will be way more geeks in the future.... perfect for our world domination! *cackles maniacally*

Yeah, generation x and y are a very nostalgic collective who value their childhood experiences, in which are still alive today (TMNT, Star Wars). Most are geeks and may not even know it..

Also, once Generation X and Y get to run Hollywood, being CEOs and higher execs, I think they'll be more in-tuned to what people want in their genre films. Because they grew up with geek culture and whatever property they obtain have some value to them, they'll treat it with better care than what some studios do now.

But Marvel and Legendary are proving that Hollywood is changing for the better; the studios are being forced to change now. Also, JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon are perfect Gen X dudes who have power in the biz.

Meanwhile, you'll always have the fools who try to catch on but they don't have a total understanding. For example, Joel Silver and his stupid 'Escape from New York' reboot/orign/trilogy. No one cares about Snake's origins. Everything about that project is contrived and exploitive, pandering to the geeks when it's not being honest.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley

"I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself." - Rita Mae Brown

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain

Yet at the same time don't try too hard because then it comes off like you're just trying to be geek trendy.

Like that weird' 'fake geek girls' thing that went viral. Cool people trying to be geek to fit in is so ironic. That being said, 'fake geek girls' is fairly sexist too, with fanboys accusing fangirls of being non-geeks.

It's a bizarro world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"