• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Geek defining moment

Generally socially inept, some nerds are better with people than others.

Whenever something geeky does well at the box office it validates you as a geek to some extent. The Dark Knight, LOTR, Star Wars, etc.

I just laughed so hard I spat out what i was drinking! :hehe:
I win somehow!!
2. Coming back from watching Superman Returns at the cinema, I had my eyes close in ecstacy daydreaming it over in my head (i know it sucks, but at the time i was in heaven... it was a superman movie!). My friend called out 'what's that', and I open my eyes and there is this blue thing streaking across the sky... for about 60 seconds I was very very confused... I knew it couldn't be Superman and did eventually come around and dismiss it, but for a second there... LOL

P.S. turned out to be a comet... was actually called blue something, i can't remember now

This reminds me of watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

We had like 2 mins to do a 10 min walk from the station to the cinema for the first showing on opening day. So we ran, or I made my mates run by shouting abuse at them and reminding them that only I had the code for the prebooked tickets. We got there in time as the trailers were starting and turned out we were 3 of a total of 5 people in the cinema. We sat and watched the film in awe of the awesomeness right until the credits ended.

Now, after this there was just us and an annoyed looking person holding a bin bag. My mates got up from their seats and I sprang up and gave a massive hug to the closest mate screaming "IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!!" I then left the cinema and text/called everyone I had on my phone to tell them how awesome it was.

Sounds more nerdy than geeky. :o

Nerds are studious, smart and generally socially inept. Geeks are fairly socially competent with a near-obsessive interest in something frivolous.

I realized that I was both when I learned the above definitions.

I must be an amalgam. Socially inept people don't make good salespeople.

Well I'm just a Geek then... I sell adverts for a newspaper, but i'm not as good as anyone else in the office (though i've only been there less than a year and they have been there for years).

I'm just too bust staring out the window thinking about Superman to really focus my energy on being nerdily good at anything.

Whenever something geeky does well at the box office it validates you as a geek to some extent. The Dark Knight, LOTR, Star Wars, etc.

LOL YES

The Dark Knight for me is like saying 'see, i've been saying all this time how amazing Batman is, and now you all get it too!'

I win somehow!!

This reminds me of watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

We had like 2 mins to do a 10 min walk from the station to the cinema for the first showing on opening day. So we ran, or I made my mates run by shouting abuse at them and reminding them that only I had the code for the prebooked tickets. We got there in time as the trailers were starting and turned out we were 3 of a total of 5 people in the cinema. We sat and watched the film in awe of the awesomeness right until the credits ended.

Now, after this there was just us and an annoyed looking person holding a bin bag. My mates got up from their seats and I sprang up and gave a massive hug to the closest mate screaming "IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!!" I then left the cinema and text/called everyone I had on my phone to tell them how awesome it was.

See now I just feel bad that I haven't seen that movie yet!

I'm trying to think of times I've been that excited and I can't. Which means when they bring out the Superman Reboot, i'm actually going to explode...

I'm serious, I can feel it bubbling out already, and I know nothing about the movie!

I'm going to walk in that cinema, and the minute the trailers stop and there is complete silence, all you'll be able to hear is this girl twitching and squealing in the corner like a rabbit on speed.

I don't count the Dark Knight, as it changed enough from what I consider the definitive Batman to be something different.

LOL YES

The Dark Knight for me is like saying 'see, i've been saying all this time how amazing Batman is, and now you all get it too!'
I think you'll find thats called Batman and it was released in 1989 directed by Tim Burton
See now I just feel bad that I haven't seen that movie yet!

I'm trying to think of times I've been that excited and I can't. Which means when they bring out the Superman Reboot, i'm actually going to explode...

I'm serious, I can feel it bubbling out already, and I know nothing about the movie!

I'm going to walk in that cinema, and the minute the trailers stop and there is complete silence, all you'll be able to hear is this girl twitching and squealing in the corner like a rabbit on speed.

You have to see Kingdom, best movie of the year by freakin miles!!

Also if you're busy looking out the window thinking of Superman, getting excited for a movie that isn't even in produciton yet and generally going to be twitching like a rabbit on speed when new Superman hits... Well, I'm not one to tell you you have a problem, so I won't for fear of death...:woot:

In my 3rd month selling cars, I outsold three 20 year veteran salespeople. Not only in units, but also in profit. They thought that I spent too much time studying product manuals and sales training books. I guess I showed them.
Dude what books you read?

I think you'll find thats called Batman and it was released in 1989 directed by Tim Burton

We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one :oldrazz:

I don't think there is anything cool about Michael Keaton. And the movie certainly doesn't reach the levels of awesome neccesary to entertain every single person who watches it, comic geek or otherwise... The Dark Knight on the other hand, does.

You have to see Kingdom, best movie of the year by freakin miles!!

Also if you're busy looking out the window thinking of Superman, getting excited for a movie that isn't even in produciton yet and generally going to be twitching like a rabbit on speed when new Superman hits... Well, I'm not one to tell you you have a problem, so I won't for fear of death...:woot:

LOL probably very sensible. But I wouldn't worry about it... I live with a guy who, every single time we go out with people, tries to claim that superman is lactose intolerant because he knows it winds me up :oldrazz:

We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one :oldrazz:

I don't think there is anything cool about Michael Keaton. And the movie certainly doesn't reach the levels of awesome neccesary to entertain every single person who watches it, comic geek or otherwise... The Dark Knight on the other hand, does.

if i had to choose which to watch, i'd watch Batman Returns over TDK

When I saw Iron Man 2 by myself on opening day because no one I knew wanted to see it then. & when I walked out of that movie having the biggest grin on myself because of it's awesomeness & Thor's hammer! :D

One day I was just browsing around a store with my girl (now, she knows that I am into the movies and stuff… but, I still always held back the full extent of my geekiness…)
so, were shopping around an I pass a rack of Marvel shirts (I hesitated at first) but, then start looking throw and pulled one out that I really liked (it had almost all the main marvel characters on it) and I start listing off how almost everyone one of them had movies coming out (how it would be prefect to wear to all the showings) and going on an on about the all the movies…… then kinda caught myself, and realized who I was talking to… looked at her, kinda embarrassed… waiting for her to tell me what a dork I was…. But, instead she just looked at me and said that she would love to go see them all with me....

One day I was just browsing around a store with my girl (now, she knows that I am into the movies and stuff… but, I still always held back the full extent of my geekiness…)
so, were shopping around an I pass a rack of Marvel shirts (I hesitated at first) but, then start looking throw and pulled one out that I really liked (it had almost all the main marvel characters on it) and I start listing off how almost everyone one of them had movies coming out (how it would be prefect to wear to all the showings) and going on an on about the all the movies…… then kinda caught myself, and realized who I was talking to… looked at her, kinda embarrassed… waiting for her to tell me what a dork I was…. But, instead she just looked at me and said that she would love to go see them all with me....

How sweet :hrt:

When my best friend and I would spend our history classes deciding which one of our friends would be which X-man.

She's a keeper. My best friend is getting married next April and he's getting a drum corp to do the music for it. Anyone not familiar with Drum Corps International, look them up on Youtube and you'll see what they're all about. She even wants to go to the DCI national championships in Indiana next year instead of Paris for a honeymoon. If it wasn't my best friend I'd marry her.

[YT]1OFZujuxxo8[/YT]

I got into a shouting match as to whether or not Wolverine was born with bone claws.

Reminds me of a gag in Big Bang theory....

So is he or is he not? :huh: :dry:
I don't watch that show, but now knowing that I share a past discussion with fictional characters gives me a weird feeling. I don't know if it's good or bad.

Errr... In the show, I believe one of the characters took out an issue of Wolverine Origins and proved that he was born with bone claws.

Wolverine has just became immensely popular with four X-men movies.

I dont know if there was ever really a time when I was uncomfortable being a geek. But I did spend more time in college reading comics than I did going out and socializing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"