Stand-Alone Movies Kevin Feige to develop new Star Wars film

Now chris Evans and Brie Larson have tweeted they want to be in it. I wouldnt be surprised if some of the mcu cast are brought over lol. I know Cate Blanchett wanted to star in a SW film....dew it Feige!

Looking forward to more details about this project. It would be cool to see a few MCU actors move on to a galaxy far, far away :)

I wonder will Feige incorporate many of the aspects that are commonly associated with MCU movies into this. It will be interesting to juxtapose the final product with the MCU movies to see how much they have in common.

Last edited:
i think feige understands what makes both universes different and will have different tones

tbh this is the only sw movie i'm excited about. don't care for rian/d&d/IX. mandalorian i am though but it's not a movie lol

I'm late, but all I want to say is thank God. If there's someone who can correct this ship, it's Feige. I finally have something to look forward to for Star Wars again. Feige is someone with a real vision who can actually take this thing in a new direction. I'm genuinely excited about this.

I'm skeptical about Fiege becoming some sort of Star Wars architect, but hoping for the best.

The Marvel-ization of Star Wars is something I've kind of been dreading since Disney bought Lucasfilm. I know it's a hot take, but the way I see it-- George Lucas was an artist and visionary. There is so little actual artistry and vision in the MCU. Kevin Fiege, sure...he's a guy who's proven to be extremely successful and adapting interconnected geek properties that the fans love. No argument there. But he's far from George Lucas. I'd take all 3 prequels over anything the MCU has produced in terms of sheer creative vision, depth and passion. The MCU doesn't surpass the surface level of popcorn entertainment and reach the level of mythology that Star Wars has at its best.

I just hope Star Wars will become more than just a fanservice machine. That's all. I'm down for interconnected content and worldbuilding and all that fun stuff. But to me, Filoni is the guy you put in charge of the overall vision. I'd hate to see George Lucas' actual apprentice overpowered by Bob Iger and Kevin Fiege, that's all. I know in my guts that Filoni is someone who truly understands the spirit of Star Wars and can appeal to ALL fans of all eras.

The idea of Fiege being sent in by Iger to "multiverse" the Star Wars universe and attempt to retcon stuff to please the fanboys....*shudder*. It's gross to me. I'm not saying it's what I think will happen, but it's clearly what the fans want to happen. I would hate to have to explain to my wife, who LOVES Rey...."Yeah....so now Rey exists in this alternate vacuum timeline and those movies don't count anymore." It would be utterly embarrassing to have to explain that.

Like....come on. I get it, the ST is always going to be controversial, and I certainly have my problems with them. But fans who actually want them retconned, I'm sorry. You don't realize how selfish it sounds. All the kids who will have grown up with the ST as their first Star Wars experience. To just diminish it like that, because a bunch of overgrown babies couldn't handle it? Despiscable. I'd lose a lot of respect for Fiege if he had anything to do with that sort of thing.

Just tell good stories, and the rest will sort itself out.

He's achieved a near impossible task keeping all those plates spinning at Marvel. Star Wars is a very different animal, and there are certainly a few MCU tropes that I'd hate to see cross over, but I think Fiege is smart enough to treat this differently. He's earned the benefit of the doubt for now.

I think Fiege has demonstrated some level of vision. He's adapting material, sure, but it's being spun in all kinds of directions, updated, reinvented and all within a much larger story. I'd argue he has just about the right amount of vision you want out of a producer.

Not to be a total contrarian, but I'd also argue that Filoni would be a bad choice to put in charge of things. No disrespect to the guy, seems lovely and his contribution to Star Wars is undeniable, but his strengths have been in filling gaps, expanding on loose threads, papering over holes and incorporating EU. He's done tremendous things while he was at it, but he's always building with the same existing blocks. I'm not sure he's truly displayed vision. Filoni was a pupil of George Lucas. He basically dramatized the word of god making Clone Wars. I don't think that necessarily makes him the guy to succeed Lucas and further the story, more that he is the most devout to the Star Wars text. I bet Filoni-led Star Wars would be a total fan service machine.

He's valuable regardless. I feel like I'm being mean to the guy. He's done some genuinely great Star Wars stuff and I think he's a valuable asset, and should be somewhere high-ish in the ranks. But he's also a fun storyteller so I think it would be a waste to lumber him with too much franchise management.

I don’t mind Fiege producing a Star Wars movie here and there but I hope he doesn’t oversee everything completely. That job belongs to Filoni & Favreau

For all the talk that Lucas is a better visionary than Feige I would take a hundred Infinity War Sagas over one Prequel Saga or Sequel Trilogy (post-Lucas SW).

He's achieved a near impossible task keeping all those plates spinning at Marvel. Star Wars is a very different animal, and there are certainly a few MCU tropes that I'd hate to see cross over, but I think Fiege is smart enough to treat this differently. He's earned the benefit of the doubt for now.

I think Fiege has demonstrated some level of vision. He's adapting material, sure, but it's being spun in all kinds of directions, updated, reinvented and all within a much larger story. I'd argue he has just about the right amount of vision you want out of a producer.

Not to be a total contrarian, but I'd also argue that Filoni would be a bad choice to put in charge of things. No disrespect to the guy, seems lovely and his contribution to Star Wars is undeniable, but his strengths have been in filling gaps, expanding on loose threads, papering over holes and incorporating EU. He's done tremendous things while he was at it, but he's always building with the same existing blocks. I'm not sure he's truly displayed vision. Filoni was a pupil of George Lucas. He basically dramatized the word of god making Clone Wars. I don't think that necessarily makes him the guy to succeed Lucas and further the story, more that he is the most devout to the Star Wars text. I bet Filoni-led Star Wars would be a total fan service machine.

He's valuable regardless. I feel like I'm being mean to the guy. He's done some genuinely great Star Wars stuff and I think he's a valuable asset, and should be somewhere high-ish in the ranks. But he's also a fun storyteller so I think it would be a waste to lumber him with too much franchise management.

Admittedly, my bias is showing as I am ultimately not a huge MCU fan at the end of the day. I've definitely enjoyed a good bunch of the individual films (Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, etc.), but overall I think it just all averaged out to extremely mediocre as an aggregate. You raise some solid points as to why Filoni may be of better use just working on content as opposed to running the whole mythos.

I'm not saying Fiege isn't a good producer-- what he did was unprecedented. No arguments there. But I am saying that I like the idea of someone who is an actual creative and storyteller themselves, like Lucas, to have more overall influence on the direction Star Wars goes as opposed to somebody who's already more entrenched on the high level business side of things. I don't know, I've always just gotten a very cold, "all business" sort of vibe from Fiege and I feel like that reflects in the overall uniformity of the MCU (in terms of visual style, music, etc). Very efficient, gets the job done, but it often feels perfunctory and like it's checking boxes IMO. When Filoni talks about Star Wars you can see the warmth and passion radiate off of him. I'm more comfortable with Filoni because I know that he's somebody who actually intimately understands George's intentions and is already pretty deeply embedded in the DNA of Star Wars. Fiege is an unknown element because I just don't have any read on how he views Star Wars. He could be coming in with a "I know what's best for this franchise" sort of attitude, and I'm wary of that. Filoni has earned his spot and that job should be his if he wants it IMO (if he doesn't-- totally fair game). I just don't like the idea people cutting in front of him just because they're higher on the Hollywood food chain, that's all. Especially if this is some sort of power jockeying situation with Iger involved (some of Iger's decisions poisoned the ST from the start as far as I'm concerned).

There are MCU movies I like, and there are MCU movies I don't like, but I have enough issues with the methodology there where I wouldn't choose Feige to oversee everything. I'm more cautiously optimistic about him making a single movie, but even there my interest/expectation is based on what we've seen in the MCU. Sure, he could do something different, anyone placed in that role theoretically might change their M.O., but the MCU is what I have to go on.

Admittedly, my bias is showing as I am ultimately not a huge MCU fan at the end of the day. I've definitely enjoyed a good bunch of the individual films (Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, etc.), but overall I think it just all averaged out to extremely mediocre as an aggregate. You raise some solid points as to why Filoni may be of better use just working on content as opposed to running the whole mythos.

I'm not saying Fiege isn't a good producer-- what he did was unprecedented. No arguments there. But I am saying that I like the idea of someone who is an actual creative and storyteller themselves, like Lucas, to have more overall influence on the direction Star Wars goes as opposed to somebody who's already more entrenched on the high level business side of things. I don't know, I've always just gotten a very cold, "all business" sort of vibe from Fiege and I feel like that reflects in the overall uniformity of the MCU (in terms of visual style, music, etc). Very efficient, gets the job done, but it often feels perfunctory and like it's checking boxes IMO. When Filoni talks about Star Wars you can see the warmth and passion radiate off of him. I'm more comfortable with Filoni because I know that he's somebody who actually intimately understands George's intentions and is already pretty deeply embedded in the DNA of Star Wars. Fiege is an unknown element because I just don't have any read on how he views Star Wars. He could be coming in with a "I know what's best for this franchise" sort of attitude, and I'm wary of that. Filoni has earned his spot and that job should be his if he wants it IMO (if he doesn't-- totally fair game). I just don't like the idea people cutting in front of him just because they're higher on the Hollywood food chain, that's all. Especially if this is some sort of power jockeying situation with Iger involved (some of Iger's decisions poisoned the ST from the start as far as I'm concerned).

No real argument there. Sadly, I think you're unlikely to find another 'Lucas' for this franchise, and the moment he handed it over to Disney, it was always going to be corporate.

Honestly, Disney's original pitch of just handing over different projects to different film-makers sounds great to me. I wish it had happened. They just screwed it up, but now they are swerving out of that approach and into something far less exciting to me.

I'm not saying Fiege isn't a good producer-- what he did was unprecedented. No arguments there. But I am saying that I like the idea of someone who is an actual creative and storyteller themselves, like Lucas, to have more overall influence on the direction Star Wars goes as opposed to somebody who's already more entrenched on the high level business side of things. I don't know, I've always just gotten a very cold, "all business" sort of vibe from Fiege and I feel like that reflects in the overall uniformity of the MCU (in terms of visual style, music, etc). Very efficient, gets the job done, but it often feels perfunctory and like it's checking boxes IMO.

I agree with this assessment here. And I see Feige as being more of the captain of the ship, steering the franchise in the right direction and ensuring it doesn't go off the rails. That's where he excels. He has the vision of the larger mission, and like any good captain, he'll leave the navigation, weapons, communication etc to his expert support staff. That's where Filoni and Favreau and other creators coming in as the creative thrust. Like the Russo Bros, they don't run the entire ship, they just perform their duties.

First off, Marvel has a formula that resulted in the most successful ending in movie history. Compare the success of Endgame to Mockingjay 2 or Rise of Skywalker. This is exactly what Star Wars needs, a master planner with a clear, overall strategy: a winning formula.

Second, Kevin Feige is getting better not worse (looking at you JJ Abrams). Remember, the MCU didn't hit its stride until Phase 3. Phase 3 has the lion share of MCU's greatest films.

Lastly, I find it funny that people say the MCU creatives won't translate well to Star Wars when the main creator of the Mandalorian also directed Iron Man.

For all the talk that Lucas is a better visionary than Feige I would take a hundred Infinity War Sagas over one Prequel Saga or Sequel Trilogy (post-Lucas SW).

While I agree with your sentiment here, it's also not an apples to apples comparison since Feige isn't a director, whereas Lucas is/was. Regardless of what you think of the prequels, his earlier work like American Graffiti and of course the original Star Wars movie is very well-regarded.

The difference between Lucas and Feige is that Lucas (especially in the Prequels) was not only directing, but also providing the overall creative direction of the franchise as whole. Whereas Feige only does the latter job (exceptionally well) and then hires directors to actually make the movies.

I agree with this assessment here. And I see Feige as being more of the captain of the ship, steering the franchise in the right direction and ensuring it doesn't go off the rails. That's where he excels. He has the vision of the larger mission, and like any good captain, he'll leave the navigation, weapons, communication etc to his expert support staff. That's where Filoni and Favreau and other creators coming in as the creative thrust. Like the Russo Bros, they don't run the entire ship, they just perform their duties.

Totally agree. Personally, I don't think it's even a good idea for the weight of an entire massive franchise to be resting on one person's shoulders, which I think was part of the problem with the Prequels.

Lucas was at his best when he could delegate directing duties (like with Empire), while still retaining control over the overall direction of the franchise.

Totally agree. Personally, I don't think it's even a good idea for the weight of an entire massive franchise to be resting on one person's shoulders, which I think was part of the problem with the Prequels.

Lucas was at his best when he could delegate directing duties (like with Empire), while still retaining control over the overall direction of the franchise.
The OT indeed had a lot more collaboration than the subsequent trilogies and that led to its success, but I don't think this point can be emphasized enough: Lucas, at best, is a very average director and writer, he knew this, and he found people whom he trusted that could carry his vision to the page and screen better than he could. People who knew the craft of filmmaking and could allow him to sit back and flex his creativity from an management perspective.

Feige I feel is far less creative than Lucas, of course (he's just adapting characters and storylines other people created) but like Lucas, he knows the essentials of both filmmaking and storytelling and most importantly, he knows how to fit them together.

First off, Marvel has a formula that resulted in the most successful ending in movie history. Compare the success of Endgame to Mockingjay 2 or Rise of Skywalker. This is exactly what Star Wars needs, a master planner with a clear, overall strategy: a winning formula.

Second, Kevin Feige is getting better not worse (looking at you JJ Abrams). Remember, the MCU didn't hit its stride until Phase 3. Phase 3 has the lion share of MCU's greatest films.

Lastly, I find it funny that people say the MCU creatives won't translate well to Star Wars when the main creator of the Mandalorian also directed Iron Man.

There's a difference between whether Star Wars under Feige would be successful and whether I personally would be happy with it, and personally I think the MCU got worse instead of better.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Feige is already overseeing Marvel, including TV shows now. Is it a good idea for him to be overseeing two big franchises at once?

There's a difference between whether Star Wars under Feige would be successful and whether I personally would be happy with it, and personally I think the MCU got worse instead of better.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Feige is already overseeing Marvel, including TV shows now. Is it a good idea for him to be overseeing two big franchises at once?

Yeah I disagree, I'll take Infinity War/Endgame, Ragnarok, Black Panther, Dr Strange, GotG2 over most of Phase 1 and 2. Winter Soldier being the only glaring exception.

Will Feige be spread too thin. I don't think so. He'll have an army of co-creators and assistants.

I think we could see a case of being stretched too thin. As Fincher pointed out, he's now running TV for Marvel seeing as Jeph Loeb and "Marvel Television" is no longer doing live action TV shows.

He's also doing at least one more Spider-Man film for Sony so I can't imagine him being able to give each IP the same amount of attention now that his producing credit has been greatly expanded.

I think we could see a case of being stretched too thin. As Fincher pointed out, he's now running TV for Marvel seeing as Jeph Loeb and "Marvel Television" is no longer doing live action TV shows.

I don't think its a problem, since its not as if the MCU is a one-man band. Plenty of others besides Feige deserve credit for the MCU's success,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"