Stand-Alone Movies Taika Waititi - Star Wars Movie

I thought its all already set in stone, not a "he may make a movie".
Now we are at "im not finished, but once i am...we will see if they sign on on it."

It is Star Wars people, it shouldnt be this complicated at all.
It is about Space Wizards for the love of god, how can everything revolving around it be so complicated and unclear.

Who knows. Love and Thunder was still a financial success despite being a bad movie.

I think he’s better suited for that Flash Gordon or Incal movie.

WhT happened to those?

giphy.gif

Taika acting in Star Wars would be so damn weird. Stay a robot's voice, please.

I'm amazed they haven't also gotten rid of him. I wonder if WW2 spooked the people over at SW hence why they shelved Patty Jenkins project and i'm surprised TLT hasn't had the same impact on their decision making process.

I really like Taika's previous work, like his smaller movies, Boy, HFTWP... and Ragnarok still stands as my favorite MCU film, but i do think Taika unfortunately dropped the ball with TLT and put a big dent on how i perceive him as a filmmaker. I think he wasn't focused on TLT and lacked supervision from Marvel who should've really reigned him in... and honestly for a while now since his personal life took somewhat of a turn i feel like he's more of a loose cannon than anything else.

If he manages to get his stuff together and someone is able to bring him back to the right track then he could still deliver some worthwhile content if Hollywood's hasn't already totally digested him by now.

For some reason I just now realized that WW1984 was a massive box office bomb. That explains it, the reason why Taika’s project is still alive because TLT for all its flaws still managed to do decently at the box office with a worldwide total of 760M. Worth mentioning that it scored that without China, Russia and Ukraine which, for Ragnarok, contributed a total of 138M.

So while TLT wasn’t critically well received it still managed to bring in a good amount of change for the studio. I would argue that a couple of reasons for the film still performing alright was the fact that Taika had a lot of credit for what he had done with Ragnarok but the bigger reason I think was the revitalization of Thor in the MCU and the exponential growth in popularity for the character.

And Feige’s project being shelved I speculate that it probably has to do with the fact that Disney wants him to focus on their main cash cow and one that lately has been struggling. Plus the fact they’ve decreased/spaced out the amount of MCU related stuff that was scheduled to come out or at least they seem to give it more time to breathe and probably pay a bit more attention to quality control instead of quantity control.

I have doubts, that this is still happening.
We have now confirmations for 3 movies until 2029 anf Taika‘s movie wasn’t 1 of them.

I didn't think this would happen the moment it was announced, to be honest.

Yeah, this ain’t happening.

Eh, Taika is hit and miss for me but I'll be bummed if this doesn't happen. Biggest thing I want in Star Wars are unique voices and styles even if that style might wind up annoying me at times. I'd take a Taika Star Wars movie over a Dave Filoni movie any day.

Its likely going to be a while.

As I mentioned in the Akira thread, I read this as a hint that his SW film has been pushed deeply into the studio’s backburner. The SW people have been adverse to risk for a while now and I bet they probably don’t feel comfortable in green lighting that massive film just now hence pushing Taika into other territory where he can still continue to do his thing and succeed at it.

The next SW project is a massive undertaking, not only because of everything that preceded it but also because it supposedly could lead into a whole new exploration of the SW universe and likely with many more films to follow. I think TLT made the studio restless once again and they’ll likely wait for him to maybe have somewhat of a comeback, maybe a big film like Akira could be it, so that Disney/SW feels more comfortable in green-lighting his SW project and eventually fast tracking it.

I think Ragnarok’s resounding critical and financial success plus JJR awards acclaim probably landed him the SW gig. But TLT’s letdown performance surely put the brakes on the studio’s enthusiasm. We’ve seen this happen over and over again.

Maybe his next projects Next Goal Wins and potentially the Akira project could be the 1-2 combo he would need to get his SW back on track, providing they deliver, otherwise I could easily see his film getting permanently shelved.

I mean, much like Rian Johnson, Taika is a busy guy. Besides his movie work, he does have two shows he works on. I honestly wouldn't read too much into it. Its not being given the priority to be made quickly, sure. But is clear that they have other options lined up.

I love Taika's work, particularly Jojo Rabbit, but I don't know if Star Wars needs a movie that will "piss people off" right now. The toxicity is appalling as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"