Stand-Alone Movies Taika Waititi - Star Wars Movie

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score

Will the Force be strong with this one?

After Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the space fantasy franchise is going on a pause, in terms of theatrical movies. But that does not mean the process has ground to a halt.

Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project.

Disney and Lucasfilm, the producer of the Star Wars movies, had no comment.

The move comes as two Star Wars streams arc in different directions. Waititi is coming off great acclaim from the fan community for directing the final episode of season 1 of The Mandalorian, the live-action Star Wars series on Disney+ that became must-watch TV in part thanks to Baby Yoda. He also voiced the popular droid character, IG-11. Meanwhile, his Jojo, which he wrote and directed, earlier this week earned six Oscar nominations, including best picture.

Working on Mandalorian put Waititi in the same sphere as Jon Favreau, the series’ creator, writer and executive producer and who is now emerged as a key architect of the Star Wars universe moving forward. Favreau is also a key player in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, overseen by Feige.

(Separately, there is a sense that Mandalorian could act as a training and testing ground for directors hoping for a larger role in Star Wars. Deborah Chow, who became the first female director to helm anything Star Wars, is now readying to direct the next Star Wars series, the one focusing on Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi, with Ewan McGregor set to reprise the role.)

Meanwhile, the theatrical Star Wars experience is drawing to a close for the time being. Rise of Skywalker, while crossing the $1 billion mark, has marked the lowest performing entry in the main Skywalker Saga series since Disney relaunched the franchise in 2015 with Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

With the last several theatrical outings, spinoffs included, seemingly dividing audiences, Disney and Lucasfilm were shifting priorities to Disney+. Little is known about the big-screen plans other than what is not being developed. Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss exited their planned trilogy in October. And Rian Johnson, who directed The Last Jedi and was developing his own trilogy, is now focusing on a sequel to his Oscar-nominated surprise hit, Knives Out, which is being eyed as his next movie. The status of his Star Wars project is unknown.

Of course, even if Waititi were to accept the challenge of taking on the Jedi, the Sith, and assorted scum and villainy, there is also the question of timing. The filmmaker has emerged as one of the most sought-after in town with his ability to oscillate tones, scope and budgets. He is in post on his small-budget dramedy, Next Goal Wins, for Fox Searchlight; no release date has been set. Then he moves to helm Marvel tentpole Thor: Love and Thunder, which is eying a late summer start of production. That movie has a Nov. 5, 2021 release date.

Waititi remains involved with Akira, Warner Bros.' adaptation of the classic anime, and is to tackle that after Thor. Any potential Star Wars undertaking could impact those plans.

I'm on board with all the interesting, fun and weird stuff coming out of Taika's mind and this is no exception. A Taika Waititi Star Wars film? Sign me up. Have him partner up with Kevin Feige and Jon Favreau in some capacity for this new project and we're in business.

We already had a pretty good taste of what Taika could do with the property and the right people surround him.
Mandalorian episode 8 gave us a whole range of possibilities. A season finale with everything, humor, drama, cool action, impressive and inventive visuals... All with Taika's personal touch.

Hmm. I'm not an expert on Taika's work, but based on what I know I'm not really feeling it.

If the powers that be didn’t like the humor and quirkiness that Lord and Miller were bringing to the universe, why would they want Taika? If I were him, I’d stick to just something smaller like Mando.

I mean, at this point, why not? He'll likely make something closer to what the originals were while also taking the series in a new direction.

Just...yes.

Also...no.

I like his films, and I would hate it if he decides to take the franchise in a new and unpredictable direction so that everyone can talk about how he's a "hack" the way Johnson has had to suffer since The Last Jedi.

I mean, I'll like it, but if he doesn't have Luke force-crushing AT-ATs....people will whine. Hopeully, he'll so something set with completely new characters so he can have some fun.

I feel like Wahtiti said he wouldn't do Star Wars movie because they'd fire him for just for being him.

I like his work but SW has boned over a bunch of directors. I don't trust they'll let his vision just go

I like Taika's vibe and approach in the movies i've seen from him. Color me curious as to what he could bring to Star Wars. I hope this is true and it works out.

I’m interested for sure.

Could be very interesting, if you look at his films like "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" they have a lot of heart.

If the powers that be didn’t like the humor and quirkiness that Lord and Miller were bringing to the universe, why would they want Taika? If I were him, I’d stick to just something smaller like Mando.

That was 2 years ago. Things were quite a bit different and Lord and Miller were making a movie about a character that had been established for 40 years. They had much less wiggle room with Han, Kazdan, and Kathy on that film. Taika will probably be making up new characters , and not using Legacy characters. And I'm sure Kathy's seeing things a little bit different right now after ROS.

I should say first that I haven't seen his episode(s) of the Mandalorian yet, but I absolutely hated his type of humor in Thor Ragnarök, and it stopped it from being a really great movie if you ask me.
So if he's gonna bring that same kind of stuff over to Star Wars then this might not be for me.

Is this the same SW movie that Feige is producing or is Feige’s movie a totally separate one from Taika’s?

Interesting.

People are supposed to get excited over a director? I think its lame to announce this with no details

As much as I love this news Lucasfilm has a horrible track record when it comes to keeping directors on board, so I'm a bit hesitant in getting too excited. Takia directing a Star Wars movie is not a big surprise though considering how awesome a job he did with his work on The Mandalorian and it helps that he's on a roll as well with the commercial and critical success of Thor: Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit.

I'm still bitter about Lord and Miller getting kicked off Solo. I like Ron Howard but....come on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"