Kick-Ass - Anyone picking this up?

You're looking for some kind of pro-American message to Ultimates 2, but it isn't there.

In addition to gildea's comments above, I will add that you and Dread seem to leap between "pro-American" and "America under Bush after 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq is the worst nation that has ever existed on the face of the earth". I'm just throwing this out there, but it's actually possible for a book not to be one of these things, while at the same time, not being the other one of these things, either.

Dread said:
when I read ULTIMATES 2 I found many issues where the plot was buried behind some sort of drive to hit home Millar's belief that America under Bush after 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq is the worst nation that has ever existed on the face of the earth, full of propaganda-brainwashed jack booted thugs who bully smaller nations, kick children when they are down and use morals as an excuse for violence, and that any act of terrorism on U.S. soil is justified because we asked for it.

Setting aside the issue of your absurd conflation of "America" and "America's federal government and military leadership", and setting aside the totally subjective hyperbole, there's kind of the matter of the US government actually, you know, doing those things? I mean hey I'm just your average politically conservative registered Republican, but I personally like to reserve my accusations of "extremist" for something more than "not ignorant of political realities reported on continually for the last seven years."

nextwave11.jpg

:woot:

And how do you explain, then, the numerous criticisms of the book on that premise? Has everyone just "misread" the book? Or is it possible that because YOU personally agree with the sentiments expressed that you don't see it as over-the-top?
Since most people are conservative, yes, I would say most people misread it, because conservatives love a reason to hate liberals.

Ultimates 2 was obscenely pro-america, while also being obscenely-anti-current-american-government. Which is pretty much the correct stance, IMHO. Having Ultimate Cap finally break away from being a military tool and actually standing for the American dream was great to see.

As far as Kick-Ass goes, I gave my review, so you can read it. It wasn't the best issue I've ever read, but it was very good. The next issue should only get better. Everything about the book fired on all cylinders except for the narrative structure and the art. Given that you know he survives the car-crash long enough to be tortured, why end the issue on a "cliffhanger?" Also, the art, I may open up a can of worms but I really can't stand JRjr's art. I've never liked it. I don't mean anything against anybody but I've never liked his art.

see, i wouldn't get it if it actually had an "ending". once the shock scene was shown the rest of the story is answering how he gets there. instead of possibly running into a "how long until..." situation, the issue leaves the reader with another question: "how the hell does he come back from this? especially to become influential and one of multiple superheroes. it's great pacing. just enjoy it.

That about sums up my response to it. In a way it is like END LEAGUE, only that was less dire and thus actually better.
I completely disagree. End League is, I'm predicting, designed to the exact opposite of what a Millar story does. Astonishman will redeem himself, true heroism will triumph. And a lot of the characterization and stylism reminds me of an Eric Powell influence. Guys like Dead Lexington are really just kind of subtle-ified Goon villains. It's got a lot of absurdism to balance out the "gritty realism," and a lot of heroism to balance out the postmodernism.

Loved the first issue.Wasn't really looking forward to this but my shop placed it in my box on recommendation,I could return it if I didn't like it,so what the hell.

It was funny,sad,brutally honest and really really good looking.

I asked for something in the issues. That's completely irrelevant to the discussion. You're taking something millar has said and claiming it applies as if he has said it in the comic book series. I know the internet is full of people taking qutoes out of context but this is impressive.

Pro american messages in the ultimates 2?

1. The americans win
2. Despite all their talk the ACTIONS of the liberators betray them as psycho terrorists
3. At the end despite what's happened the american government lets the ultimates go independant (FREEDOM!!)
4. The americans in the ultimates ACTUALLY FIND wmds
5. In the very first issue cap as the de facto american symbol actually talks terrorists down (well threatens but he doesn't hit them) even though they have hostages
6. Gods come to the aid of the ultimates (turns out people were right god is on americas side!)

Thats 6 examples from the issues, do the same for your point.

I know that this wasn't a reply to me, but it was similar and so I figured for contrast I would reply here. I scimmed through ULTIMATES 2 #1-13 (and the annual) and while I may not have exact issue citations, I can get them if you want to be that specific. 6 counterpoints:

1). Thor naturally is the mouth-piece for anti-U.S. jargon, although it fits his persona as a "hippie" and some seasoned cynicism about the U.S. is all well and good. But the main statement he says that I took the most issue to was defending the rights of any nation to have nukes based on the theory that Americans used them against Japan in WWII and then "hypocritically" want to remove them from other nations. I take issue because in the original ULTIMATES, Nick Fury says in no uncertain terms that those nuke strikes against Japan in Ultimate-Land were actually precise attacks on an army of Chituri alien agents. He didn't tell the entire team but he did tell most of them and you'd think Cap of all people would have counter-pointed Thor on this one. He didn't. And that in a nutshell is where the anti-American stuff came from ULTIMATES 2. Someone would say some extremist thing about America and NO CHARACTER would rebut it with facts. To not argue a point is to concede a point.

2). The narration in one of the early issues basically goes, and I am paraphrasing, "Anyone who expects the U.S. to not break a promise isn't living in the adult world." That may sound fine in 2007, but back in 2004-2006, the "Bush lied and people died" line against the Iraq war was a mighty slogan that even big media pundits applauded. It still shows up even after "the surge" has improved the situation in Iraq somewhat. Millar writing America as a country where lying is business at the time was a large statement. Again, Cuba lies to it's people on a constant basis; why does Castro get much love from within
our own borders? How about the "president" of Iran? Or the misinformation of Putin's Russia? Nope, only America is the bad guy.

3). Naturally, Stark outright lies and says the Ultimates will never be used in "military pre-emptive strikes" and then what happens? Cap personally leads them into another nation to tear out nukes and uproot the locals. More lying American government.

4). The Liberators officially gather in France, a "sort of" ally of the U.S. at the time and back then the harshest critic of our attacks on Iraq (aside for Germany). They represent countries that feel that the U.S. is being a big bully, including terrorist nations like Syria and North Korea, as well as Russia and the arab country that Cap personally invaded. For all intents and purposes these are official agents of all the countries represented. They feel justified after the Ultimate invasion of Colonel's country and, again, there is no counter-point given.

5). ULTIMATES 2 #10 I believe was the issue that I once said could have been handed out as recruitment literature for Al Queada. The Colonel is presented as an average Arab citizen whose home was destroyed by Cap, who met him personally, before he is whisked away all of a sudden ("because the U.S. soldiers shoot you", meaning unarmed civilians, "when the cameras aren't rolling", as if it was standard practice taught at every boot camp) and becomes the Middle Eastern Capt. America. Unlike those violent Americans, the Colonel and most of the Liberators take care in not harming civilians and only want to assassinate the D.C. leaders and the Ultimates themselves.

6). The Statue of Liberty is toppled with all the Liberators basically going, "You bullied our nations around, you have this coming," and nothing is said to refute that. Not a word. No one even tries to claim the Liberators themselves are hypocrites (as they claim America is one). Nope, just more "heroic cowboy" stunts to eventually kill them all. Trust me, if something so tragic as what is depicted here happened in real life to that mighty Statue, within 48 hours you would hear from U.S. citizens that we "deserved" it for "what we do to other nations". It happened in 9/11. That is something I can never agree with.

7). Black Widow personally blames America for all of Russia's ills since the fall of the czar, which had nothing to do with America and everything to do with men like Lenin and Stalin, who Russians worship to this day. Stark simply attempts to kill her in response.

8). Only Crimson Dynamo from China orders a "suicide massacre" when things go belly-up. None of the other Liberators are as cruel. Just pointing that out.

9). Finally, after Thor returns with his Norse allies to defeat Loki and all that, Cap essentially goes, "this is all our fault because we got involved with other nations", justifying the Liberators again.

10). That scene where the Liberators kills Laura Bush and threaten Cheney...I am sure they were written with a smirk.

My point? The Ultimates only won because they had to in order to fit the story. Why does "The Norse gods were on their side" make a difference? The Norse gods were on the side of the Vikings who raped and pillaged the innocent for their own gain for centuries. That certainly doesn't make America look better.

In retrospect the first half of ULTIMATES 2 really isn't this blatently political and when scimmed together it reads quite well but this was coming out at a clip of 4 issues a year at the time. It read like a drum-beat. Nowadays with tensions cooling after the Democrats won Congress in 11/06, Bush a lame duck and Obama the favorite to be President in 2009 (there is no way in hell McCain will beat him in a general election, and I'll say that now), the second half of the book reads very knee-jerk anti-Bush America.

I WILL say, though, that at least Millar & Hitch have created a work that we can still passionately debate about some 2-3 years later. Will ULTIMATES 3 & 4 under Loeb be the same? No.

In addition to gildea's comments above, I will add that you and Dread seem to leap between "pro-American" and "America under Bush after 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq is the worst nation that has ever existed on the face of the earth". I'm just throwing this out there, but it's actually possible for a book not to be one of these things, while at the same time, not being the other one of these things, either.

The impression I got from ULTIMATES 2 is that every act of terrorism on American soil or against America is deserved, but we'll triumph through brute force in the end anyway. Millar is hardly a conservative.

Setting aside the issue of your absurd conflation of "America" and "America's federal government and military leadership", and setting aside the totally subjective hyperbole, there's kind of the matter of the US government actually, you know, doing those things? I mean hey I'm just your average politically conservative registered Republican, but I personally like to reserve my accusations of "extremist" for something more than "not ignorant of political realities reported on continually for the last seven years."

Oh, I know America has countless sins to answer for, some of which are still buried. But in all seriousness, has ANY other civilized nation besides the U.S. and maybe Britain had to apologize as endlessly as we do? Even Japan still denies a lot of the **** they did during WWII and won't offer a token apology. But no one cares about that, no, America is the one that has to apologize for **** done 20 years ago endlessly. The world doesn't work as black and white as some people like it and the greatest ill of many politicians is doing what is best NOW and being unable to imagine how it will effect the future. Much of the Arab world became armed when we propped up people to fight the Soviets. Now that world is biting us back, and hard. Should we have surrended to the USSR back then? Because some people all but offer that as an option. Give up. No war is worth fighting for, and neither is this country. I disagree.

The amount of "evil American government secret cabals" stories from this eight year period have been so numerous they all but border on the brink of parody. I am bloody tired of it. I can't wait for 2009, when I will get to watch the same media who felt that a Republican President with a Republican Congress was the worst travesty on humanity since the world began eons ago suddenly feeling it is Nirvana when that exact same situation happens, only with Democrats in control. I look forward to seeing how shallow our media is. And god forbid if Obama should lose...they'll make McCain look like Hitler.

In short, I am a Democrat who is hardly blind to the ugly side of America, but I am being tired of being told to hate it because Bush is President and hasn't been a great one.

I completely disagree. End League is, I'm predicting, designed to the exact opposite of what a Millar story does. Astonishman will redeem himself, true heroism will triumph. And a lot of the characterization and stylism reminds me of an Eric Powell influence. Guys like Dead Lexington are really just kind of subtle-ified Goon villains. It's got a lot of absurdism to balance out the "gritty realism," and a lot of heroism to balance out the postmodernism.

Yeah, I agree to all that.

In short, Millar isn't Brubaker, who can put in a lot of political commentary in CAPTAIN AMERICA without making it read like Micheal Moore's jargon.

My re-review of ULTIMATES 2 reminded me of ULTIMATES 2 #6, the Defenders issue. KICK-ASS is in some ways similar to that; imagine if Nighthawk got a series and it is very similar, only in the real world.

It is possible that this tale will be about a movement; Dave may not personally become a superhero, but his story may cause a social reaction. If KICK-ASS is indeed "the real world", then Dave's injuries will sideline him for months, possibly years to come. On the other hand, he was assaulted and nearly killed by three gang-bangers and could press charges, even landing them in prison. Even if not the way he imagined, Dave may have ended up getting at least one thug off the streets and into a cell, and that could be where things springboard. It IS more cynicism from Millar, though, which is obvious when read alongside his FF debut (or even his UFF run).

Millar is clearly no conservative--he's obviously liberal. But I think all you proved in the big long post there was that he presented his own side of the argument, IN ADDITION to presenting the other side, even if that other side was occasionally given shorter shrift.

And c'mon, anyone who expects the U.S. to keep a promise IS living a childish fantasy.

Dread said:
Yeah, I agree to all that.
Oh. I, uh, must have misread you. Apologies.

Dread said:
The amount of "evil American government secret cabals" stories from this eight year period have been so numerous they all but border on the brink of parody.
Almost all of them have been proven correct, by mainstream media, though...except the really super-hardcore ones about 9/11 and such.

As for 2009, the media will hardly behave that way. First of all, they're right-of-center and they have been for years. Secondly, they've been jumping on Democrats every chance they could get--the Dems just didn't **** up as bad during this particular eight-year period. I'm sure that once they control the whole government, they'll do plenty. Most of them are just the same classist, racist, sexist bastards with a sick power fantasy of a foreign policy anyway.

Millar is clearly no conservative--he's obviously liberal. But I think all you proved in the big long post there was that he presented his own side of the argument, IN ADDITION to presenting the other side, even if that other side was occasionally given shorter shrift.

He barely presented another side, unless you really count, "hey, the Ultimates won!" as proof he did. Of COURSE they had to win. It was the Ultimates comic! They are a franchise! That's like expecting Spider-Man to die in any given story and noting his triumph as proof of some writer bias. Of COURSE Spidey will win or survive.

And c'mon, anyone who expects the U.S. to keep a promise IS living a childish fantasy.

But does any nation not do things similar? Are there ones that are far worse than America? But no one mentions them. Or if they do it is never with the same venom as describing this nation. It seems very ungrateful. That is actually part of why some nations hate us; they see our citizens as ungrateful whiners (I've read some Africans seeming to believe such). And to a large degree they're right.

Almost all of them have been proven correct, by mainstream media, though...except the really super-hardcore ones about 9/11 and such.

Enough people believe that. And according to the mainstream media, nothing America has deliberately done to thwart terror has worked. We've just been "lucky" these past few years.

As for 2009, the media will hardly behave that way. First of all, they're right-of-center and they have been for years. Secondly, they've been jumping on Democrats every chance they could get--the Dems just didn't **** up as bad during this particular eight-year period. I'm sure that once they control the whole government, they'll do plenty. Most of them are just the same classist, racist, sexist bastards with a sick power fantasy of a foreign policy anyway.

You REALLY think the media won't handle President Obama with kid gloves for a while? Pfft. Democrats always get a pass.

See, I BELIEVE you when you say that Dems and Repubs are not that different in terms of arrogance, corruption, sexism, racism, etc. deep down. Preach on, brother! But what DOES get my goat is how one side seems to be exposed as such, while the other gets more of a pass. The only reason some people are digging into the Clintons now is because Obama is the new hot ticket, and don't believe anything else. I told you, the media is shallow. Is that really up to debate? Anyone who completely swallows anything the media says completely will be messed up. We have to all come to our own conclusions. The challenge is getting enough balanced info to do so.

Just read the first issue. I liked it a lot. The cursing is bit to much sometimes though, it's like a 15 year old boy wrote those parts lol

Considering the guy is 15 and in high school,the cursing is totally appropriate and accurate.

Handed this out to some non comic reading friends and they loved it.

I never said it was out of character, just harsh on my eyes/ears :up:

I hope this book gets the same love that Invincible did.

Considering the guy is 15 and in high school,the cursing is totally appropriate and accurate.

Handed this out to some non comic reading friends and they loved it.

That doesn't say much about your friends then.

I never said it was out of character, just harsh on my eyes/ears :up:

I hope this book gets the same love that Invincible did.

But Invincible is you know, great.:huh:

Not exactly, didn't think it was terrible, didn't think it was great, it was what we on the web call "meh".

the first issue was pretty damn good. I'mmore suprised by the fact that vaughn is trying to make this into a film..millar is a sellout when it comes to hollywood knocking on his door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"