Kinect and it's effects on the WORLD.

I'm pretty sure they'll all be used for gimmicky purposes. They'll be somethings that break the mold occasionally, but I think for the most part in the first couple of years, we're not going to be seeing a whole of depth to either the Sony thing or Natal

I'm pretty sure they'll all be used for gimmicky purposes. They'll be somethings that break the mold occasionally, but I think for the most part in the first couple of years, we're not going to be seeing a whole of depth to either the Sony thing or Natal
True, but difference is that Sony's and Wii's have remotes that serve as standins for things that appear in almost all games that appeal to 'hardcore gamers'. The idea of playing as Kratos and swinging his weapons around yourself is way more inviting than say... putting tires together... or pretending to skateboard by jumping around. These seem more like thigns that appeal to 5 year olds than everybody.

True, but difference is that Sony's and Wii's have remotes that serve as standins for things that appear in almost all games that appeal to 'hardcore gamers'. The idea of playing as Kratos and swinging his weapons around yourself is way more inviting than say... putting tires together... or pretending to skateboard by jumping around. These seem more like thigns that appeal to 5 year olds than everybody.
Shane Kim said; in an interview i posted 3 pages behind, when asked if Natal was going to be incorporated in hardcore titles like Halo or Gears; that it can be done, but that´s not their main focus initially.
When also asked if he was going to change the internal development to focus less on hardcore and more on casual, he said that Microsoft Game Studios doesn´t have games like the ones demoed on stage, so, no Ricochet nor Paint Party are in the making.
By other words, Natal will not transform the 360 into a Wii, and i say that in the worst way possible, meaning the all crapfest third party casual games that are made.
There will be casual games, even some dumb ones by third parties, but i believe that is not MS´s intention for it to happen.

In my understanding, and Kim said this in another interview i read from him, when Natal arrives there will be 3 types of games.
The traditional ones (traditional controllers are not going anywhere, his own words), Natal games, and hybrids, this last ones mean that some games (and i believe it will be a big majority) will incorporate some of Natal´s functionalities, but still remain tradicional (giving orders to squad members or something in this lines, or an FPS where you are the camera, by looking around).
But one thing i believe is that the 360 will not start to have games for "5 year old".

The point is, we have no idea of what is in store for Natal, only the developers and Microsoft know, and i believe that we have only seen the tip of the icerberg.
The demos on the E3 stage was just to give an idea of what can be done, but they are not being made.

Last edited:
everyone called the wiimote 'gimicky' as well.... lol

everyone called the wiimote 'gimicky' as well.... lol
well I still find the Wimmote gimmicky. It's good for the casual games and unique titles you wont normally find, but I'll take a standard controller over it any day for the regular stuff.

well I still find the Wimmote gimmicky. It's good for the casual games and unique titles you wont normally find, but I'll take a standard controller over it any day for the regular stuff.

Ditto. I'm by no means a Wii-hater like some people tend to be on here, but I recognize that a lot of the Wiimote is very gimmicky. There's always games that break that mold, as I'm sure they'll be less gimmicky titles for Natal and SonyMo at times, but I'd say the ratio between gimmicky crap + cheap, superfical add-on controls to other games is going to be a lot higher than the games that actually use these 'properly'

How is this going to change the games, consoles, peripheral, and game industry world? well, I can see that more games will be developed with Natal in mind at first, then replace peripheral control altogether. The Xbox360 console will have more demand, as will the future MS consoles. Peripherals like the controller will become extinct, just like in Back to the Future 2. MS will be in the lead for game hardware development, manufacturing, and sales. If anyone should wear the moniker of "Skynet" it would be Microsoft.

How is this going to change the games, consoles, peripheral, and game industry world? well, I can see that more games will be developed with Natal in mind at first, then replace peripheral control altogether. The Xbox360 console will have more demand, as will the future MS consoles. Peripherals like the controller will become extinct, just like in Back to the Future 2. MS will be in the lead for game hardware development, manufacturing, and sales. If anyone should wear the moniker of "Skynet" it would be Microsoft.

Yeah, I really doubt all of that is going to fully open to be honest at least not for a very long time.

And, please, let us not bring the good name of Back To The Future and associate it with this thing:nono:

:yay:

Yeah, I really doubt all of that is going to fully open to be honest at least not for a very long time.

And, please, let us not bring the good name of Back To The Future and associate it with this thing:nono:

:yay:
:woot:

Video Game Boy #1: You mean you have to use your hands?
Video Game Boy #2: That's like a baby's toy!

Video Game Boy #1: You mean you have to use your hands?
Video Game Boy #2: That's like a baby's toy!

Lol, yeah I remember that I've seen those movies hundreds of times, I'm just saying Back To The Future is just so above anything the Natal can ever become, you can't put them together. Not saying it to say, just reality:woot:

How is this going to change the games, consoles, peripheral, and game industry world? well, I can see that more games will be developed with Natal in mind at first, then replace peripheral control altogether...

Whoa! Let's stop here. Do you seriously think the Natal is going to replace a controller for FPS games, or RPGs? Fighting games?

Natal can do things that the controller can't, and vice versa. They're not going to stop making controllers until there's no longer a market for FPSs, RPGs and Action games. Good luck with that.

My favorite part of the video is seeing Jim Halpert and Bill Compton flailing around in the air to play this. haha

That's the 3rd time that video has been posted in this thread......

Anyways, Xbox.com has a lot of videos of celebrities playing natal. Link

Not surprising to see that Felicia Day is the most viewed.

Last edited:
Who says you can't use FPS's on Natal? Why couldn't you hold a plastic gun, instead of an actual controller? And they've already stated what games that already exist that are going to incorporate it, with Fallout being one of them (using the pit boy). And how the hell would Natal negate RPG's? Or Fighting games? They're the games that would benefit most! Lol

The reason this wont be gimmicky like the Wii, is it's just there to offer an extra element to games. It gives the oppurtunity for game developers to experiement, but it will also just help enhance games that we already love. Like, how cool did Rockband sound where we can make our players move however we want? There are so many possibilities to add extra depth to games, but it isn't compulsory, like most Wii games.

Who says you can't use FPS's on Natal? Why couldn't you hold a plastic gun, instead of an actual controller? And they've already stated what games that already exist that are going to incorporate it, with Fallout being one of them (using the pit boy). And how the hell would Natal negate RPG's? Or Fighting games? They're the games that would benefit most! Lol
what would be the difference between holding a plastic gun and putting your hands together in a gun shape? I cant see Natal realistically being used in a FPS. There is no way it would be responsive or precise enough to actually use it in competition. I think a controller would always be the best choice for this genre. I see a person using Natal getting crushed by 1 using a gamepad.

As far as fighting games, I dont think they will benefit much either for similar reasons. Heck the current 360 gamepad usually gets slammed when it comes to fighters. Do you think Natal would be a better alternative? I dont think gamers would be looking for a workout while trying to pull off combos in Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6. Probably would last 10 minutes before they get tired and go on the couch with a controller

Last edited:
How could we possibly judge whether or not a FPS would be responsive or not before seeing it? That is so entirely speculative. The natal tech. is so open, we couldn't possibly presume it's abilities, as it's only limited by the talent and ingenuity of the developers using it. That's why some Wii games have crap handling, but some has great handling.

And sure, it might not be as fast at turning as using a mouse or a joystick, but it would also probably be alot more fun and rewarding to pull off headshots based on real, genuine accuracy. Anyway, we can't judge that kind of thing until they actually develop it, and someone plays it.

Also, because project natal is a new beast, you can't look at it through traditional gaming eyes. Traditional Tekken gameplay probably wouldnt be as effective with natal, but if the developers wanted to utilise natal, they'd obviously approach the gameplay differently, with an all new design.

All in all, I think this is pretty exciting tech, with great potential, but we're gonna have to wait to actually see it implemented in mainstream games before we can say what it CAN'T do.

And i'm totally aware of the terrible grammar in my last comment lol. You can't let something like the english language get in the way of a good rant!:bh:

How could we possibly judge whether or not a FPS would be responsive or not before seeing it? That is so entirely speculative. The natal tech. is so open, we couldn't possibly presume it's abilities, as it's only limited by the talent and ingenuity of the developers using it.

Well, exactly, which is why statements like FPS's and fighting games will benefit the most from it are nothing but speculation at this point as well

Also, if you think the Natal won't be used for gimmicky stuff like the Wii was, I'm sorry, but you're fooling yourself on that. Just look at demo they had on stage during the conference and on that Jimmy Kimmel thing. Look at that and tell me it doesn't look like one of those crappy, mediocre little Wii Sports/Wii Play minigames. It may not be used just for that, but there's going to be plenty of that to go around

Last edited:
Teardrop, i'm not fooling myself because I don't particularly care one way or the other lol. I'm sure there will be gimmickry involved with Natal, but by point was that it won't be as limited as the Wii.
The problem with the Wii is that they only gave you the option of motion control (or a crappy, side one wii-mote which is taking about 10 steps BACKWARDS) whereas at least with Natal it isn't forced down you're throat like oh so many horrible shake/waggle based titles :p

I know I'd want more interesting and more comfortable control over my game, controllers give me carpal tunnel sometimes. An interesting thought just occurred to me, more like a wish. I've always wanted a multiplayer feature for the Elder Scrolls titles on a console. I can see the complications with that since the controller can only do so many actions and pausing for inventory items would make MP impossible. Now with Natal's voice recognition, you might be able to vocally command what you need from your inventory, in game, and have more realistic control over your character with your on hands and arms.

Teardrop, i'm not fooling myself because I don't particularly care one way or the other lol. I'm sure there will be gimmickry involved with Natal, but by point was that it won't be as limited as the Wii.
The problem with the Wii is that they only gave you the option of motion control (or a crappy, side one wii-mote which is taking about 10 steps BACKWARDS) whereas at least with Natal it isn't forced down you're throat like oh so many horrible shake/waggle based titles :p

Well, once again, this is speculation. For all we know implication of the Natal may end up being forced and pointless on certain titles. I know I would rather just push A to pick up an item instead of reaching out to pick it up on my TV screen or something like that.

I'm sure the Natal will be used well for certain things, but as I said in the thread before, crappy stuff like that kickball game at the conference is predominantly what we're going to see it used for, at least for the first year or so. Even after that I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing a lot of that flood the shelves if the Natal is half as successful as MS probably wants it to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"