Kinect and it's effects on the WORLD.

It's not speculation that you have a choice on xbox. Natal is only an add on, you could completely ignore it if you wanted, and enjoy the straight controller based games, for hardcore gamers... For wii on the other hand, you only had one choice from the get go.

I know what you meant, but I just meant the Natal control scheme in general

Anyway, i'm just happy to sit back and see what they do with it. To be honest, the prospect of voice recognition and talking in games interests me alot more than any physical control movement. Vocal intereaction could enhance so many games, and make it awesome. Even just being able to talk online without a headset is cool.

Being able to be recognized by your facial features and get logged in is amazing in itself. This thing can discern colors you are wearing as well. You can scan pictures and objects, and use them in a game!

THQ is the first publisher outside Microsoft to publicly announce support to Natal.

THQ just recently divided itself into 3 divisions: Core, Online and Kids, Family and Casual Games.

From a transcript from Kotaku, it reads:
Finally, Doug Clemmer drew the short straw, and will be in charge of the new Kids, Family and Casual Games. That's about what you'd expect. Interestingly, Clemmer says THQ "are excited to develop gaming experiences that take full advantage" of Microsoft's Project Natal, becoming one of the first publishers outside of Microsoft to publicly commit to the peripheral.

I saw the grudge match on IGN between some guys arguing about the differences between the Wii Motion Plus, Natal, and whatever that thing is Sony developed. The Nintendo spokesman stated several times that the Wii MP is here now, it works, and is cheap. He also stated that the Natal is not really here yet, has not proven it can work, and may very well be a damn expensive peripheral. He said they have the edge as far as motion controlled gaming development. The other arguments were that the PS3 motion peripherals/camera have 1:1 motion response unlike the Wii, and that Natal has a hands free control which is way more appealing then buying new peripherals or "pieces of plastic" for every new game that comes out, like the Wii. I think Nintendo is getting uncomfortable and nervous with it's competitors response to their motion control tech. Also, the PS3 stuff requires a wand and the camera for it to work which = more $ and more junk to work with. IMO, I think Natal is the piece of tech people will take to, newbs and gamers.

Last edited:
Isildur´s Heir;17110407 said:
THQ is the first publisher outside Microsoft to publicly announce support to Natal.

THQ just recently divided itself into 3 divisions: Core, Online and Kids, Family and Casual Games.

From a transcript from Kotaku, it reads:
I thought EA already announced that its supporting this thing

I saw the grudge match on IGN between some guys arguing about the differences between the Wii Motion Plus, Natal, and whatever that thing is Sony developed. The Nintendo spokesman stated several times that the Wii MP is here now, it works, and is cheap. He also stated that the Natal is not really here yet, has not proven it can work, and may very well be a damn expensive peripheral. He said they have the edge as far as motion controlled gaming development. The other arguments were that the PS3 motion peripherals/camera have 1:1 motion response unlike the Wii, and that Natal has a hands free control which is way more appealing then buying new peripherals or "pieces of plastic" for every new game that comes out, like the Wii. I think Nintendo is getting uncomfortable and nervous with it's competitors response to their motion control tech. Also, the PS3 stuff requires a wand and the camera for it to work which = more $ and more junk to work with. IMO, I think Natal is the piece of tech people will take to, newbs and gamers.

Nah, not at this point. They have too large of an install base to really be that nervous, and they really do have their hands on the casual market already which is mostly what Natal and SonyMo will be trying to target specifically for probably the first year.

Then there's the price. I think the Wii will probably still end up being the cheaper alternative since you'll have to be buying other accessories for your 360 and PS3, unless they do a built-in redesign of each system, and even then I'd say the Wii will still be cheaper, which I believe is one of the reasons for the Wii's massive success to begin with. The only thing you'll have to buy with the Wii is this Wii Motion Plus, but it's being bundled with a lot of games I've heard so that shouldn't be that big of an issue.

So, yeah, in conclusion I think it's safe to say Nintendo really isn't all that nervous or worried at this point. Later down the road with new tech, maybe, but now I don't see any reason for worry

Good point Teardrop... and the Motion Plus is only like 30 bucks anyway... Does the motion plus only work for 'motion plus enhanced games' or does it just generally increase wiimote accuracy for any game?

Good point Teardrop... and the Motion Plus is only like 30 bucks anyway... Does the motion plus only work for 'motion plus enhanced games' or does it just generally increase wiimote accuracy for any game?
its not backwards compatible with existing titles. Only future titles which have the feature enabled will be able to take advantage of it

The Wii has sold more units than the PS3 and 360 have combined, globally. And the DS and DSi are (I believe) the best selling handheld of all time. Might still be losing a bit to the oldschool clunker Gameboy, but still. Nintendo isn't worried about a damn thing. Nor should they be.

Ign's milo is hilarious. Because, seriously, do they expect people to actually do what you're supposed to with Milo? everybody just wants to see what he'll respond to.

Aw, I was looking forward to the first reports of kids trying to roll behind cover in Natal-ized Gears and breaking expensive s*** in their houses. :D

It sounds more like he realizes it'll take a while to come up with a practical way to implement a fully gamepad-free control scheme into shooters, which tend to rely heavily on running around, dodging, ducking behind cover, etc. He did mention he's open to Natal somehow supplementing the gamepad, though.

he's just afraid, new things do that to some people.

Zetta :whatever:

It sounds more like he realizes it'll take a while to come up with a practical way to implement a fully gamepad-free control scheme into shooters, which tend to rely heavily on running around, dodging, ducking behind cover, etc. He did mention he's open to Natal somehow supplementing the gamepad, though.

Ditto. I'm sure the Natal and SonyMo has the potential to open a lot of new doors or whatever, but this idea that people have that it's going to be instant revolution of technology right out of the box isn't going to happen

I can't even imagine mapping all the things you can do in Gears to a motion only control scheme. Let along making you in complete control of the character, it seems all too complicated, moving and ducking, shooting, throwing grenades. I can not imagine how a natal only shooter would actually work, It really just doesn't sound feasible to me.

Natal, if used at all, will probably just be there for slight adjustments to normal games. Like a racing game where you turn your head to look left and right in cockpit view.

Hence why they may be shooting themselves in the foot with this Natal thing. The control scheme for a lot of Wii games is only moderately complex....with 360 and PS3 you got like fifty buttons.

Yeah, and that's not even mentioning the subtler controls on the gamepad, like degree of tilt to the analog sticks to determine movement speed, pressing a trigger halfway to use a laser sight in some shooters, etc. There's a lot of stuff going on in that gamepad.
I can't even imagine mapping all the things you can do in Gears to a motion only control scheme. Let along making you in complete control of the character, it seems all too complicated, moving and ducking, shooting, throwing grenades. I can not imagine how a natal only shooter would actually work, It really just doesn't sound feasible to me.

Natal, if used at all, will probably just be there for slight adjustments to normal games. Like a racing game where you turn your head to look left and right in cockpit view.
Racing games would actually be among the easiest to set to a motion control scheme because, unlike shooters, you don't personally move in a racing game. You're sitting in a car, which you can easily mimick on a couch or chair in front of Natal. So long as Natal can see your whole body, just mime driving a car and you're set.

Racing games would actually be among the easiest to set to a motion control scheme because, unlike shooters, you don't personally move in a racing game. You're sitting in a car, which you can easily mimick on a couch or chair in front of Natal. So long as Natal can see your whole body, just mime driving a car and you're set.

They've shown something similar to that with Burnout Paradise. Only I've seen it with them standing up. Personally, I didn't think it looked all that fun, but I'm not fond of this stuff anyway, so I may not be the best judge

They've shown something similar to that with Burnout Paradise. Only I've seen it with them standing up. Personally, I didn't think it looked all that fun, but I'm not fond of this stuff anyway, so I may not be the best judge

The Burnout demo also only had an on or off position for the gas. It was either foot forward for full gas, or foot back for break, there was no in between nuances to drive slower. It was just a quick demo they made for E3, but still I'm sure things like that are problematic for Natal.

Ign's milo is hilarious. Because, seriously, do they expect people to actually do what you're supposed to with Milo? everybody just wants to see what he'll respond to.

Sure you can look at it that way or you could look at it as something that requires you to be a little less lazy and add something to the mix. Instead of just asking him dirty jokes or being mean to him, why in the world should you not ask him if he's finished his homework or how he feels? Is it really that hard to pretend?

You haven't watched the E3 video have you?

But...wouldn't you then be turning away from the screen to do so?:huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"