Kingsman: The Secret Service

protocida

Avenger
Reaction score
thesecretservicemain.jpg

The Secret Service is an upcoming movie based on Mark Millar's and Dave Gibbon's upcoming mini-series. The movie is written by Matthew Vaughn, who co-created the concept alongside Millar, and follows a rebellious teenage hoodlum from London who is recruited by a secret governmental agency of super-spies. Under guidance from a veteran operative of this secret service, the young man goes through an extensive training to become an agent.

Mark Hamil will have a "pivotal" role in the movie, rumored to be the one of the villain. The two lead characters, the recruit and the veteran, will be played by British actors.

It sounds very generic, wait and see but glad to see that Mark Hamil will have "real" role.

Yay for seeing Mark Hamill again! :up:

I definitely do not want to see Mark Hamill on the big screen. He looks like a gross Louie Anderson now. He's a voice actor for a reason.

I definitely do not want to see Mark Hamill on the big screen. He looks like a gross Louie Anderson now. He's a voice actor for a reason.

How is that different from the actual Louie Anderson?

Then don't see the movie. Not everyone has to look like a shining golden god. And maybe, just maybe, if he's playing the villain, his looks will HELP him stand out as his character.

Source? Sorry, I believe you, I just want to pass the link around. :p

So excited!

This could be good. After X-men First Class I'm willing to see anything of Matt Vaughn's.

I can see certain actors being attracted to a movie like this too. Actors like Vinnie Jones, Thandie Newton and Tom Hardy.

I must admit though, it doesn't make me feel good for the industry when a comic book can sell the rights to a movie adaption even before the first issue is published or even previewed.

The comic isnt even out yet and already theres a movie attached? Jumping the gun.

For those wondering, since I work in the industry, studios get the completed comics sometimes BEFORE they go on sale or just the treatments if not completed at the time - just like any other project. Chances may also be it was pitched as a comic the same time it was pitched as a film. Key thing to note is - it happens ALL the time. For those wondering, yes it happens with books too.

For those wondering, since I work in the industry, studios get the completed comics sometimes BEFORE they go on sale or just the treatments if not completed at the time - just like any other project. Chances may also be it was pitched as a comic the same time it was pitched as a film. Key thing to note is - it happens ALL the time. For those wondering, yes it happens with books too.

That seems risky. More so with books than comics, but risky with both really. What if the studio starts work on the film and turns out the comic/book comes out and flops because it shouldn't couldn't grab enough interest from audiences of that genre...

The comic isnt even out yet and already theres a movie attached? Jumping the gun.

Funny thing is that this is based on a Mark Millar book and I believe the same thing happened with Wanted. He was still finishing it up when they went ahead with the movie.

Vaughn started writing the Script for the movie at the same time Millar started writing the Script of the comic.

That seems risky. More so with books than comics, but risky with both really. What if the studio starts work on the film and turns out the comic/book comes out and flops because it shouldn't couldn't grab enough interest from audiences of that genre...

If studios don't think it can appeal to the masses - they obviously wouldn't purchase it. This is the way the dice are rolled. Also this is at one of the TOP five film companies - I kinda know what I'm talking about, I've seen it in action before.

UltimateHero is right.

In fact a lot of IP developers and small label comic publishers do graphic novels and mini-series it seems almost for the sole purpose of selling the movie rights. That reason being is that is what executives and studios are looking for right now. Plus having all the comic art is an easy way to sell the product in a pitch meeting since it gives the short attentions span executives something to look at. A regular book is harder to sell because well c'mon.

Just think about this. It's easier to sell a movie idea if it's been done as a comic book now. Because then it sort of has something to show and something you can talk about.

If the comic flops or doesn't sell, that doesn't really matter because comics are already a niche industry in the first place. Ultimately if a big budget sold comparable to the size of the audience that reads comics, it would flop.

What does the average amount of issues that gets sold for a top selling comic? I think something like 100K maybe, highest I think gets in the 100's of thousands these days. Certain manga might sell better because a lot of kids actually like to certain Shonen Jump titles. That's a drop in the bucket for big Hollywood.

I wonder what happens to the property if Mark Millar gets bored and wanders off like with War Heroes?

Mark Millar had a bit more to say recently (from http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2012/02/19/scots-comic-book-writer-mark-millar-reveals-secret-projects-that-are-set-to-take-hollywood-by-storm-86908-23757456/)

Mark is also working with Kick-Ass movie producer Vaughn on Secret Service, the tale of a London rioter hand-picked by MI6 to be a spy.
“We shoot Kick-Ass 2 and American Jesus this summer. Then Matthew and I have Secret Service, which is a neddy James Bond,” Mark explains.
“We came up with this idea of a wee ned who becomes a gentleman spy, ditching his trainers for his Savile Row suits and being taught how to speak properly.
“The reason he gets chosen is that a guy like that is disposable. I am a massive Bond fan and Secret Service is like My Fair Lady meets James Bond.
“I am halfway through the comic and Matthew and I are halfway through the script. There is a good role for a 50-something actor to play an older gentleman spy training this young kid. There are not a lot of tough actors in that age group but you would never believe Colin Firth or Hugh Grant in a fight scene. We are bouncing names around.”

Aw, I reckon Colin Firth could do it! If not him then Charles Dance would be cool but I suppose they'll want someone a bit better known like Jeremy Irons.

I really wish I was Mark Millar.

He has movies greenlit before he's even done writing the comic.

He's like the luckiest ****er in the world.

Well as it says in the article the two projects, the film and the comic are basically being developed by one big group of people.

Also this is basically the same way kick ass was made.

Also Spielbergs upcoming Robopocalypse, the book and the screenplay were written mostly concurrently with the author, screen writer and concept artists bouncing ideas off of one another.

Mark Hamill, what is this, like his third movie?

He owns a certain percentage of all starwars merchendising, even things that have nothing to do with him.

Not exactly like he needs to take on Nic Cage levels of roles to stay in financial shape.

Not to mention he's been in a ****load of TV shows, plays, and cartoons. :o

He owns a certain percentage of all starwars merchendising, even things that have nothing to do with him.

Not exactly like he needs to take on Nic Cage levels of roles to stay in financial shape.

Oh, I'm sure, but as part of the audience I'm far more into the actors' work not his bank acount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"